What truly new genres developed in the last 10 years?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
ejamer
128-bit

Re: What truly new genres developed in the last 10 years?

Post by ejamer »

Surgery simulations? (Gotta love Trauma Center.)
hashiriya1
Next-Gen

Post by hashiriya1 »

ejamer wrote:Surgery simulations? (Gotta love Trauma Center.)

:lol: :lol:
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Life and Death for Dos - "Say Alice." ... "Awlulis!"
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Para
128-bit

Post by Para »

Time Crisis is the first game that comes to mind when talking about "cover shooters" and its waaaaaay older and better than Killzone. The arcades have been around since 95.

I don't know what to call it but the whole Bit.Trip Runner style of game seems to be a somewhat new genre. There are a lot of games like that and the concept seems to be fairly new. I know it could be considered just a platformer but I think it should be in a sub-genre of that because of its different style that other traditional platformers.
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

Para wrote:I don't know what to call it but the whole Bit.Trip Runner style of game seems to be a somewhat new genre.

Bit.Trip Runner is kinda like Pitfall 1 & 2. Not exactly new.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

cover shooters are a sub genre. It is a lame excuse for developers to be lazy imo. Cover shooters are much slower, thus beating a stage takes more time, which means they have to make fewer stages.

Besides, if they really wanted to be realistic (like most of the fanboys of said cover based games say) they would make it so, you can't see on the other side of the wall/door/whatever.

actually that would make a cooler (yet much harder) game imo.

Also GTA4's shooting became a chore with cover shooting.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

Curlypaul wrote:Mini-game compilations?

What about the old Game and Watch collections on the Game Boy? I don't know if mini-game compilations are a new genre.
AmishSamurai
Next-Gen

Post by AmishSamurai »

ZeroAX wrote:cover shooters are a sub genre. It is a lame excuse for developers to be lazy imo. Cover shooters are much slower, thus beating a stage takes more time, which means they have to make fewer stages.

Besides, if they really wanted to be realistic (like most of the fanboys of said cover based games say) they would make it so, you can't see on the other side of the wall/door/whatever.

actually that would make a cooler (yet much harder) game imo.

Also GTA4's shooting became a chore with cover shooting.

What would make it better is if your cover actually did give out after a while. Most I've played I've been able to sit behind that wall for years without it giving out.

I'd agree with Tower Defense, DotA clones, mini-game compilations, and sandbox games being iconic of the 2000's along with cover shooters, and a huge boom of the FPS in general. I wouldn't consider it a complete genre since it was rather unique, but Mirror's Edge brought us the first-person platformer. Half-Life played with it a bit, but it was a shooter with some platforming elements, whereas ME was a platformer with some shooting elements.
MrPopo wrote:The life lesson here is jobs will come and go, but Earthbound will always be there for you.

I'm a girl btw
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

AmishSamurai wrote:I wouldn't consider it a complete genre since it was rather unique, but Mirror's Edge brought us the first-person platformer. Half-Life played with it a bit, but it was a shooter with some platforming elements, whereas ME was a platformer with some shooting elements.

I was thinking of writing something about MIrror's Edge just before I saw your post. While it's not a genre yet, I hope it will be. I would call it First Person Parkour, since first person games with platforms have traditionally been really bad at platform jumping (see Turok series). Mirror's Edge felt truly original though in how perfectly they nailed it. The only disappointing thing about the game was actually the shooting. I wished all of the stages were just about running.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
AmishSamurai
Next-Gen

Post by AmishSamurai »

J T wrote:
AmishSamurai wrote:I wouldn't consider it a complete genre since it was rather unique, but Mirror's Edge brought us the first-person platformer. Half-Life played with it a bit, but it was a shooter with some platforming elements, whereas ME was a platformer with some shooting elements.

I was thinking of writing something about MIrror's Edge just before I saw your post. While it's not a genre yet, I hope it will be. I would call it First Person Parkour, since first person games with platforms have traditionally been really bad at platform jumping (see Turok series). Mirror's Edge felt truly original though in how perfectly they nailed it. The only disappointing thing about the game was actually the shooting. I wished all of the stages were just about running.

They tried to take away from the shooting by making it so you can't reload, but at some points I found myself having no choice but to knock a blue out, take his shotgun, and blow away his buddies. It made me feel bad. If they took out shooting in the next one, and either improved the hand-to-hand combat system or took a note from Amnesia and removed combat entirely, I'd be happy.

I remember seeing a trailer on my friend's 360 of a game coming up that seemed like it was using a modified Mirror's Edge engine. Trying to remember the name. EDIT- it's BRINK. Primarily a shooter, but it has the parkour elements to it.
Last edited by AmishSamurai on Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrPopo wrote:The life lesson here is jobs will come and go, but Earthbound will always be there for you.

I'm a girl btw