Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
REPO Man
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3062
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:05 pm
Location: Outer Banks, NC

Re: Nintendo 3Ds Delayed!

by REPO Man Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:30 pm

ETERNAL MOUNTAINS OF SUCK!!!!!!!!!!

JK, cuz I wasn't gonna hop on this ASAP, for once.

I mean, I want one, though know little about it.

But for Christmas, I'm just gonna ask for cash, mostly. I'm trying to move out.

I wanna move to New York, despite my mother despising the idea (I brought it up again today and she just said to just go, that she doesn't care anymore, and that she will never set foot in New York).

I just need more money. MUCH more. How much? Selling all my PSX games (all of which are CIB, barring a few exceptions), except the Final Fantasies (I have a playable Black-Label FF8 w/o the case inserts, a much-better-condition Black-Label FF9 w/ inserts, the GH versions of Tactics and FF7, and the Black-Label copy of FF Origins) and Chrono Trigger. Since I have a PSP and a modded PSX, I'm just gonna make CD-R backups (it's a dead console) for all the games I can't buy from PSN. And doing the same w/ my Saturn games (all of which are in slimpack DVD cases w/ manuals, exceptions included) and potentially PS2 and Xbox games, assuming I get modchips for them and my Saturn (tired of the swap-trick). Not modding the GCN.
User avatar
BlackDS
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1006
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:56 pm
Location: The 'burgh

Re: Nintendo 3Ds Delayed!

by BlackDS Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:51 pm

Pulsar_t wrote:Learned my lesson with the DS. Get 3rd generation hardware if it's Nintendo (or even MS/Sony), as the first two are destined to be iffy :lol:

Actually, the second one is usually best. The GBA SP is generally viewed as the best GBA, I believe the DS lite is the best DS, and the PSP Slim as the ideal PSP to have.
but screw it, ill buy the first black 3ds i can get my grubby little hands on :D
Ack wrote:You WILL be respectful of each other, or I WILL shove my mod foot so far up your Internet ass that your avatar will wince. Do you understand, children?


My Sale thread, lots of nintendo, neo-geo, and sega stuff!
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=24526&p=305373#p305373
User avatar
lisalover1
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4964
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:50 am
Location: Redmond, WA

Re: Nintendo 3Ds Delayed!

by lisalover1 Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:33 pm

Screw the "Inevitable Handheld Redesign" rule; I want this thing as soon as possible, especially since Namco just announced a port of Tales of the Abyss to the 3DS.
Image
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
User avatar
Jrecee
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4507
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:33 pm

Re: Nintendo 3Ds Delayed!

by Jrecee Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:07 pm

Even if we go by the Japan to US wii pricing as a guide, that puts it at $249. Let's say they're just really overcharing in Japan and it's $199 here. . . that's still about $20 more than I'd spend on a hand held.

I think they're going to lose out on a huge chunk of the kid market with this thing. Kid's tend to get portables as they're first system because they're cheap. Kids under 7 aren't supposed to even play the 3DS, and at $249 I'm not sure how many parents will spring for it, especially in march. I would wager that the PS3 will be $249 by that time. Also, the main advantage the 3DS has over the current ds. . . is 3D. It has better graphics but I really don't think that's a big selling point for portables (which is why the DS crushes the PSP). So once other companies start using the type of 3D displays that nintendo uses (it'll happen) it won't be fancy new technology anymore.
User avatar
neilencio
64-bit
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:13 am
Location: Philippines

Re: Nintendo 3Ds Delayed!

by neilencio Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:22 pm

I'd have to agree with going for the 3rd gen for ninty's handhelds, at least in the DS's case. the DS lite would have been the best iteration (awesome battery life), but first batches (particularly the white ones) had factory defects, in the sense that the hinges developed hairline cracks on their own, even if you treated it like a dainty princess, due to overtightening of the hinge. Ninty even offered free replacement for those.

For the GBA, the second generation had visibility problems, due to the first batch of SPs being frontlit instead of backlit. It was only fixed when they released backlit ones, which probably makes the micro 4th gen.

As for the 3DS' pricetag, I seriously hope it's not THAT expensive when it gets released outside of japan. For my wallet, and for Ninty's sake as well. I think nobody is forgetting that the Wii and the DS's lower pricepoint compared to their competitors also had a big part to play in their success. Innovative controls or no, the Wii wouldn't have fared as well if it was only a couple of bucks cheaper than the x360 or the Ps3
Last edited by neilencio on Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Visit my wife's blog: Pinay Geek
User avatar
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4339
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:26 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Nintendo 3Ds Delayed!

by YoshiEgg25 Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:28 pm

neilencio wrote:As for the 3DS' pricetag, I seriously hope it's not THAT expensive when it gets released outside of japan. For my wallet, and for Ninty's sake as well. I think nobody is forgetting that the Wii and the DS's lower pricepoint compared to their competitors also had a big part to play in their success. Innovative controls or no, the Wii wouldn't have fared as well if it was only a couple of bucks cheaper than the x360 or the Ps3

The thing about that is that it didn't cost that much to implement motion control and such into a console. The 3DS has a boatload of stuff and it's a handheld. They have to pay up the bum for development.

Heck, it's got an nVidia graphics card. That thing alone pushes the price up.
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
User avatar
neilencio
64-bit
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:13 am
Location: Philippines

Re: Nintendo 3Ds Delayed!

by neilencio Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:36 pm

YoshiEgg25 wrote:
neilencio wrote:As for the 3DS' pricetag, I seriously hope it's not THAT expensive when it gets released outside of japan. For my wallet, and for Ninty's sake as well. I think nobody is forgetting that the Wii and the DS's lower pricepoint compared to their competitors also had a big part to play in their success. Innovative controls or no, the Wii wouldn't have fared as well if it was only a couple of bucks cheaper than the x360 or the Ps3

The thing about that is that it didn't cost that much to implement motion control and such into a console. The 3DS has a boatload of stuff and it's a handheld. They have to pay up the bum for development.

Heck, it's got an nVidia graphics card. That thing alone pushes the price up.


Yup, I agree about the development costs. The high price is certainly justified. I was just pointing out that price is still a notable consideration when it comes to selling gaming products, and that this time Nintendo may regret prioritizing cutting edge tech over selling price.

The same "It's got all these stuff an' shiz so it's expensive" was also used to justify the PS3's high price tag, but it never really took off until the price cuts.
Visit my wife's blog: Pinay Geek
User avatar
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4339
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:26 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Nintendo 3Ds Delayed!

by YoshiEgg25 Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:38 pm

neilencio wrote:Yup, I agree about the development costs. The high price is certainly justified. I was just pointing out that price is still a notable consideration when it comes to selling gaming products, and that this time Nintendo may regret prioritizing cutting edge tech over selling price.

The same "It's got all these stuff an' shiz so it's expensive" was also used to justify the PS3's high price tag, but it never really took off until the price cuts.

Yeah, but the PS3 was so expensive because they decided to put a disc playing system worth $400 into the console. Nintendo is making revolutions.
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
User avatar
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4320
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:14 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Nintendo 3Ds Delayed!

by gtmtnbiker Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:20 am

Jrecee wrote: It has better graphics but I really don't think that's a big selling point for portables (which is why the DS crushes the PSP). So once other companies start using the type of 3D displays that nintendo uses (it'll happen) it won't be fancy new technology anymore.


I agree that graphics is not the selling point for Nintendo portables...it's the kid friendly games that get parents to buy them. Nintendo still has this market locked up. Until Sony changes its strategy, the PSP is geared towards older male pre-teens & up.
User avatar
Reprise
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3535
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:27 am
Location: Earth

Re: Nintendo 3Ds Delayed!

by Reprise Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:09 am

Pulsar_t wrote:Learned my lesson with the DS. Get 3rd generation hardware if it's Nintendo (or even MS/Sony), as the first two are destined to be iffy :lol:

Why? My brother picked up a DS a couple of weeks after launch, and it still works just fine and he still loves it. And it plays GBA games. Do the new models play GBA games? I don't think they do.

+ when the DS first launched, it was released for £100 here. Now those fancy pants newer models are retailing for like £150.

I'm not trying to be condisending, I just don't know (probably my own ignorance too) what the big deal is about all the newer designs that Nintendo do to milk cash.

I haven't tried any of the newer DS models much, so maybe I'm missing something.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
Return to General Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests