Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: dsheinem's MONTH OF HORROR! What horror games will you play?

by Ack Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:18 pm

Do you want plot or gameplay? Hell, I'll do both.

I have yet to play Shattered Memories, so I'm keeping it off the list. I'm also not going to consider some of the side stuff, like that light gun game.

Plot:

Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill
Silent Hill 3
Silent Hill Homecoming
Silent Hill Origins
Silent Hill 4

Gameplay:

Silent Hill 3
Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill
Silent Hill Homecoming
Silent Hill Origins
Silent Hill 4

I should note that I don't necessarily believe any of these games are bad in any respect, this is just how I would rate them based on my memories of each title (I haven't played a few of these in years). Some folks might criticize my choice of Homecoming being over 4 and Origins in both categories, as many folks genuinely detest that game. The plot resonated with me, particularly because I have a little brother, so I consider it a deeper experience than Origins or 4 because I can relate.

SH 4 tried a lot but fell apart quickly, so I feel it deserves to be at the bottom. Origins felt sort of slapped-together, but it was a handheld game originally, so perhaps I should consider it successful as a handheld-to-console port.

Silent Hill 3 is my favorite overall. The controls felt the best, I enjoyed the continuing plot from the first game, and I was happy to see a strong female protagonist in a series dominated by men and their inner demons. I also thought much of the humor put into the unlockables was great: the Sexy Beam is my favorite hidden weapon of all time.

Anyway, that's just my impression of the series. Take it for what you will, though I feel they're all worth checking out if you're a fan of survival horror.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Weekend_Warrior
Next-Gen

by Weekend_Warrior Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:22 pm

Doom 3
"Welcome to the circus of values!"

Currently Playing: Crysis (360), Destiny demo (PS3), Roadblasters (MAME)
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:05 pm

I'm playing some Doom tonight. The first. On GBA (shocking). And I have the 2nd lined up.
Dylan
Next-Gen

by Dylan Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:15 pm

I decided this weekend to bust out all of the Castlevania games I've held off on so far. I've already beaten both Adventures and Simon's Quest, and I've started the ones on the N64. I'm a little ways into the first one, and I have to say it doesn't deserve all of the hate it gets. Some of the platforming segments are quite weak, however.
emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:10 pm

Currently on my second playthrough of DR2 Case Zero and I am enjoying the Zombie mashing. Also slowly playing through Doom via XBLA, I am on the second chapter.
jfe2
Next-Gen

by jfe2 Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:23 am

I'm surprised nobody is playing Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. I think I'm gonna pick it up when I get paid this week... the reviews have been mostly favorable.
emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:07 am

jfe2 wrote:I'm surprised nobody is playing Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. I think I'm gonna pick it up when I get paid this week... the reviews have been mostly favorable.

Too much Castlevania out there considering its hard to tell them apart.
AwesomeMonstar
128-bit

by AwesomeMonstar Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:55 pm

emwearz wrote:

except this one is DRASTICALLY different.

I'm actually going to go pick it up now. Maybe with DR2. (I LOVE PAY DAY!)
Don't that just look oh so tasty?
NES-GB-GENESIS-SNES-GBC-32X-SATURN-3DO-N64-DREAMCAST-GBA-PS2-XBOX-GAMECUBE-DS-PSP-WII-360
the7k
Next-Gen

by the7k Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:32 pm

AwesomeMonstar wrote:
emwearz wrote:

except this one is DRASTICALLY different.

It's only drastically different from Castlevania. Compared to, say, Dante's Inferno? I can't tell the difference. I actually stopped watching the gameplay trailer sooner than half-way through because I was getting a massive "Been There, Done That" feeling the whole way through.

But, to each their own, I guess.
AwesomeMonstar
128-bit

by AwesomeMonstar Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:41 pm

the7k wrote:It's only drastically different from Castlevania. Compared to, say, Dante's Inferno? I can't tell the difference. I actually stopped watching the gameplay trailer sooner than half-way through because I was getting a massive "Been There, Done That" feeling the whole way through.

But, to each their own, I guess.

Having never played Dante's Inferno, I guess I can't really comment, but having played the series that it's always likened to, The demo seems different. Where GOW seemed to be all about raking up combos and crowd control, the combat here seems to focus on pacing and concentration, with a much heavier focus on countering and evasion than keeping your enemies subdued. The sub weapons also seem to have a heavier focus than the lesser magics in GOW, seeing as many of them can kill and enemy in two or so hits. It seems more refined to me, and I like that.

Aside from that, I can already see myself falling in love with the storyline thanks to it's cast, and it's just so damn pretty.
Don't that just look oh so tasty?
NES-GB-GENESIS-SNES-GBC-32X-SATURN-3DO-N64-DREAMCAST-GBA-PS2-XBOX-GAMECUBE-DS-PSP-WII-360
Return to General Gaming