dsheinem's MONTH OF HORROR! What horror games will you play?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
J T
Next-Gen

Re: dsheinem's MONTH OF HORROR! What horror games will you play?

Post by J T »

I played a bit of Stubbs: The Zombie. It is not quite what I had hoped for. The soundtrack is great. The graphics are reasonably good. It manages to keep a light hearted feel while also being ultra violent, which is the best thing about it. However, the gameplay is kind of boring. I guess this should be expected when playing the role of a zombie-- you are not very fast or agile. You have to walk towards humans and claw at them. It turns out, zombies are much more fun to shoot at than to play. To their credit, tey do change things up a little bit by having some vehicle drivng and even mind controlling a police officer (which turns things into an over-the-shoulder shooter). The other thing that turned me off to the game besides finding the gameplay kind of lackluster and repetitive is that the humor in this game is pretty bottom of the barrel. One of your principle weapons is to fart on your enemies, or to toss a stinking gas filled organ at them (plucked from your own innards). There are a few moments of genuine humor, but it generally doesn't rise above basic bathroom humor.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

J T wrote:I played a bit of Stubbs: The Zombie. It is not quite what I had hoped for. The soundtrack is great. The graphics are reasonably good. It manages to keep a light hearted feel while also being ultra violent, which is the best thing about it. However, the gameplay is kind of boring. I guess this should be expected when playing the role of a zombie-- you are not very fast or agile. You have to walk towards humans and claw at them. It turns out, zombies are much more fun to shoot at than to play. To their credit, tey do change things up a little bit by having some vehicle drivng and even mind controlling a police officer (which turns things into an over-the-shoulder shooter). The other thing that turned me off to the game besides finding the gameplay kind of lackluster and repetitive is that the humor in this game is pretty bottom of the barrel. One of your principle weapons is to fart on your enemies, or to toss a stinking gas filled organ at them (plucked from your own innards). There are a few moments of genuine humor, but it generally doesn't rise above basic bathroom humor.

You make some good points. For me, I liked the 1950s vibe, the surprises(like the dance off boss fight), the few genuinely funny bits, the fact that the game was genuinley different and the sense of megalomania I got from it. I remember starting one stage killing a few people and turning them into zombies. As I made my way through the level more and more people were getting turned by my zombies until the city was full of them and there were just a few hopeless civilians unable to avoid their inevitable fate. Mwahahaha

There's something I enjoy about games where I can be some sort of predator. Games like Tenchu where you use stealth to hunt your enemies and brutally eliminate them, or Kagero Deception II where you use darkly funny, brutal traps to kill your guests in your little funhouse of horrors, or using demon like powers to horrify and take people out in The Darkness or that level I just mentioned in Stubbs the Zombie where you methodically wipe out the populace with your ever increasing zombie horde. Would be interesting to see more horror titles where you get to play the game from the other side as the monster themselves. I like how Stubbs played with that, even if it could have done it better
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
scarper
128-bit

Post by scarper »

I'm gonna be playing Dino Crisis on PSP (PSOne Classic), Deep Fear for Saturn, and Doom for GBA.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

scarper wrote:I'm gonna be playing Dino Crisis on PSP (PSOne Classic), Deep Fear for Saturn, and Doom for GBA.

Have fun, I played through Dino Crisis like three times. Unlocked everything. Great game. The sequel is great too, but it's more of an action game. I always say that Dino Crisis 2 did what Resident Evil 4 did long before RE 4 came about. Action Horror. It didn't get as much attention though
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Luke wrote:I'm currently playing Castlevania Curse of Darkness on the xbox. Never got around to beating it, so I'm giving it a second try.

I forgot how fun it is.

Still playing this.

I forgot how frustrating it is.
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

dsheinem wrote:I don't think costumes make something Halloween-esque, sorry.

Costumes are a bigger part of Halloween than monsters are for me. It's always been the costumes (and now, the costume parties) that got me excited, not all the scary movies. Costume Quest is actually the first time I've seen a game that made me feel like it is Halloween.

But hey, different strokes.

Although if it's movie-monsters you want - Battle Monsters.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Luke wrote:
Luke wrote:I'm currently playing Castlevania Curse of Darkness on the xbox. Never got around to beating it, so I'm giving it a second try.

I forgot how fun it is.

Still playing this.

I forgot how frustrating it is.

I played through Curse of Darkness a year ago on the PS2 and remember enjoying the experience, but I can't remember any specific details. What is it that's frustrating you?
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Ack wrote:I played through Curse of Darkness a year ago on the PS2 and remember enjoying the experience, but I can't remember any specific details. What is it that's frustrating you?

The only thing that is frustrating me is how I keep getting lost. I believe I have 8 or 9 levels open, but when I play, I play for an hour, save, then quit. When I return to the game, I have no clue where to go. I just received another innocent devil, who for once actually looks like a devil, and I'm pretty sure I "warped" through every wall imaginable in every level, and I have no clue where to go.

This happens often with me lately. I don't have much gaming time, but when I do play a game, it's usually something like Curse of Darkness where you really need to remember your goals, as they aren't laid out for you.

That, and I don't want to resort to using a faq or cheat.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

played some Castlevania III last night. I really had never played that one, though I do remember it. Anyway, great game. And I'm way better at it than the first Castlevania. Haha.
jfe2
Next-Gen

Post by jfe2 »

I beat Plants vs. Zombies and King of Monsters 2 in the past few days. Both games helped to get me into the Halloween spirit a bit. Today I picked up Deathsmiles for the 360 and played through 360 once, but I'm far from done with it. :)

I also grabbed House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return and House of the Dead: Overkill for the Wii today. YOU GOTTA SHOOT THEM IN THE HEAD!