dsheinem's MONTH OF HORROR! What horror games will you play?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Re: dsheinem's MONTH OF HORROR! What horror games will you play?

Post by lisalover1 »

I think I'm finally going to man up this year, and actually play a survival horror game. I always freaked out and turned off the console early before, but I think I'm ready, now.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

lisalover1 wrote:I think I'm finally going to man up this year, and actually play a survival horror game. I always freaked out and turned off the console early before, but I think I'm ready, now.

WHAT'S IT GONNA BE????
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

noiseredux wrote:
lisalover1 wrote:I think I'm finally going to man up this year, and actually play a survival horror game. I always freaked out and turned off the console early before, but I think I'm ready, now.

WHAT'S IT GONNA BE????

I'm considering playing through Resident Evil 4 [I've started it already], but I think I need something just a bit scarier to commemorate the occasion; maybe the Resident Evil GC remake.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

lisalover1 wrote:
noiseredux wrote:

WHAT'S IT GONNA BE????

I'm considering playing through Resident Evil 4 [I've started it already], but I think I need something just a bit scarier to commemorate the occasion; maybe the Resident Evil GC remake.

RE1 remake is way scarier.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

noiseredux wrote:
lisalover1 wrote:
noiseredux wrote:
WHAT'S IT GONNA BE????

RE1 remake is way scarier.

Definitely, I love RE 4 though, but given the mixed feelings a lot of survival horror traditionalists have about it, I would definitely say start off with something more old school

On the other hand, if you do find regular survival horror too scary, I guess RE 4 would be a good place to start. I think Eternal Darkness is a great first experience with survival horror too. Though it's certainly unconventional by survival horror standards. I also think Dead Space strikes a nice balance between old school and new school, though it certainly leans more in RE4's direction

I finally found my AC adaptor cord for me DS. Maybe I'll pick up Castlevania:Portrait of Ruin and finish playing it.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

RE1 and RE4 on GameCube are my two favorites of the series. 1 is way harder, and way scarier, and fits the "survival horror" credentials. 4 is amazing. It's still scary, but more fast-paced and action-y.
Dylan
Next-Gen

Post by Dylan »

The Gamecube versions of the whole RE series are much better, aren't they? Maybe I should just get those instead, did they "fix" the controls in them?
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

If you wanna really "Man-Up", I'd say start off with something like Clock Tower, Haunting Ground, Fatal Frame or Siren. Siren is one that had me on the edge of my seat, actually - most other survival horror games can't do that.

Basically, these are the games that make your protagonists more or less helpless. If you want to "Man-Up", the protagonist can't.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

the7k wrote:If you wanna really "Man-Up", I'd say start off with something like Clock Tower, Haunting Ground, Fatal Frame or Siren. Siren is one that had me on the edge of my seat, actually - most other survival horror games can't do that.

Basically, these are the games that make your protagonists more or less helpless. If you want to "Man-Up", the protagonist can't.

we dont want lisalover to have a heart-attack. He's not used to horror games. Also, he's a huge GCN enthusiast, so it makes more sense for him to get into horror playing some of the GCN's finest (aka: RE1 and RE4)
Ack

Post by Ack »

A couple of points to note:

Lisalover1, start with Resident Evil 4. Don't worry about the Resident Evil Remake or Eternal Darkness, and definitely do not stress about them. I've been playing Resident Evil games since RE2's release, and RE4 is one of the least scary titles in the series, but likely some of the situations you'll be presented with will stress you enough to give you a taste of the genre. The controls are easier to cope with than the old style, you won't be forced to deal with set camera angles hindering your vision so you can't see what's coming, and while your ammunition and healing items will be limited, you won't need to worry about ink ribbons. And chainsaw-wielding maniacs are much less likely to screw with you than the sanity effects of Eternal Darkness.

If you feel it's too much, you can back out and say you tried one. But for somebody new to the genre who openly admits that these games scare him, I feel you're a little unprepared to go taking on Crimson Heads or dealing with memory card wiping mindfucks. If you make it through, then I'll be more than happy to suggest more titles to check out, but for now it's probably best if you hit up the survival horror kiddie pool instead of diving headfirst into the deep end with stuff like Siren and Haunting Ground.

Anyway, now that that's out of the way, anybody end up genuinely terrified by their games yet? I've almost given up fighting certain kinds of enemies in Extinction, instead preferring to book it down the mutant tunnels under the stray fire of sentry guns that seem to only target me. The dogs are particularly bad, as I haven't yet developed a strategy to take them down with minimal risk yet. I'm taking about a hit per one I kill, but a guy can't make it in a game like this with those kinds of odds.