dsheinem's MONTH OF HORROR! What horror games will you play?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
the7k
Next-Gen

Re: dsheinem's MONTH OF HORROR! What horror games will you play?

Post by the7k »

Darkstalkers, Night Warriors, Vampire Savior
Asura Blade, Asura Buster
Red Earth
Night Slashers

Aside from that, can't think of anything that isn't obvious. I do look forward to the new Double Fine game that's all about Halloween, but no idea when it'll be out.
AwesomeMonstar
128-bit

Post by AwesomeMonstar »

Silent Hill 1 and 2
The Thing
Amnesia
I have no mouth and I must Scream
and maybe even a run through System Shock 2

Also, totally agree with all the sentiment related to Ack's incredible Halloween thread last year. I honestly checked that sucker ever single time he made a post, and found out a whole lot from it. It's a shame you can't do it again this year ack, but you did remind me of The Thing, and for that, I thank you.
Don't that just look oh so tasty?
NES-GB-GENESIS-SNES-GBC-32X-SATURN-3DO-N64-DREAMCAST-GBA-PS2-XBOX-GAMECUBE-DS-PSP-WII-360
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

dsheinem wrote:A few years ago I started making it an annual tradition to try and play almost exclusively horror-themed games during the month of October. I'm actually not a big Halloween nut, but I do enjoy horror games and films, and October does seem to be a very appropriate month in which to enjoy them.

Here's what I'm considering playing for October:

Silent Hill 2 (PS2)
Silent Hill: Origins (PS2)
Splaterhouse 2 (GEN)
King of the Monsters (PS2) (Neo Geo Collection) - Together Retro game!
Mutant League Football (GEN) (a run through the playoffs)
Resident Evil 0 (GCN)
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles (Wii)
Brutal Legend (PS3)
Little Red Riding Hood Zombie BBQ (DS)
Ultimate Ghosts 'N Goblins (PSP)
Alien vs. Predator (JAG)
Haunted House (2600)

I actually debated focusing exclusively on the Silent Hill series as I have only beat SH1, but I don't want to get burned out on them. I'll be surprised if I can get through all these, but it's a goal. I'll actually probably add a few arcade games via MAME to play for short bursts here and there as well, but haven't gone through that list just yet. All of these are games I haven't ever beat, some are games I've never played.

Anyway, what games do you plan to play to celebrate the MONTH OF HORROR?

You think Brutal Legend is a horror game? :lol:
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

lisalover1 wrote:
dsheinem wrote:A few years ago I started making it an annual tradition to try and play almost exclusively horror-themed games during the month of October. I'm actually not a big Halloween nut, but I do enjoy horror games and films, and October does seem to be a very appropriate month in which to enjoy them.

Silent Hill 2 (PS2)
Splaterhouse 2 (GEN)
Resident Evil 0 (GCN)
Brutal Legend (PS3)
Alien vs. Predator (JAG)
Haunted House (2600)

I actually debated focusing exclusively on the Silent Hill series as I have only beat SH1, but I don't want to get burned out on them. I'll be surprised if I can get through all these, but it's a goal. I'll actually probably add a few arcade games via MAME to play for short bursts here and there as well, but haven't gone through that list just yet. All of these are games I haven't ever beat, some are games I've never played.

No, but it takes place in hell and certainly has a "Rocktober" vibe to it. I doubt Haunted House will be horrific, nor will some things that others are playing like Darkstalkers, etc. It's all about the vibe - be flexible, man!
jfe2
Next-Gen

Post by jfe2 »

I say Brutal Legend is fine for the Halloween vibe. What's not Halloween about demons?!
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

I really want everyone to buy & play Amnesia: The Dark Descent so I have some other people to talk with about it.

https://store6.esellerate.net/store/che ... atalog.htm

It is the most oppressively horrifying game I have ever played.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

dsheinem wrote:
lisalover1 wrote:

Silent Hill 2 (PS2)
Splaterhouse 2 (GEN)
Resident Evil 0 (GCN)
Brutal Legend (PS3)
Alien vs. Predator (JAG)
Haunted House (2600)

No, but it takes place in hell and certainly has a "Rocktober" vibe to it. I doubt Haunted House will be horrific, nor will some things that others are playing like Darkstalkers, etc. It's all about the vibe - be flexible, man!

Actually it doesn't take place in hell at all, but later in the game you get to fight a bunch of goth kids and another enemy faction that does consist of demons. Plus, there's a cutscene in the game that plays Ozzy's Mr. Crowley. So I guess the game sort of counts, though I also considered it an odd choice

You guys should try the Ghostbusters game on the 360. The gameplay has some issues and is quite honestly mediocre, but it looks and sounds amazing and really feels like a Ghostbusters movie. I'd say it's worth playing just for all the crazy stuff that happens in each level and the classic Ghostbusters dialogue and humor. A solid bargain pick up if you can find it cheap anywhere

EDIT:In fact, what ghostbusters lacks in gameplay mechanics, it makes up for in awesome level design. So many cool surprises and set piece moments

Do we have a thread for what everyone will be watching for Halloween? I will probably watch Evil Dead 2 yet again(classic)and maybe Bubba Ho Tep too. Holloween with Bruce Campbell=awesome. And watching five seasons of Supernatural has got me in the Holloween mood too. Must see show for any buffy fans on this board
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Just in time for halloween, Valve is releasing a new Left 4 Dead/Left 4 Dead 2 campaign for free! (as long as you didn't buy it on console... then you have to pay)

http://kotaku.com/5652555/get-chills-wi ... ic-trailer
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
GigaPepsiMan
64-bit

Post by GigaPepsiMan »

I might actually force myself though all of the resident evil games I haven't beaten yet and eternal darkness on gamecube.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I trace my finger along the spine of the PS2 game case, shuddering momentarily as it passes over the title. Survival horror titles always create a thrilling flux of emotions, especially when I am about to launch into one previously unplayed. It creates a weight in my gut, as if I’d swallowed a stone, wondering what horrors will befall me in each new title. The rush of fear is exhilarating, almost a pleasurable experience in its intensity. Will I be able to overcome this one, or will its terrifying offerings overcome me? Will I be able to face that growing sense of dread that painful and horrific death lurk through the next door, around the corner, or just beyond my field of vision?

Almost overcome with weakness, I struggle for a moment to slide the disc into the console. Should I really play this? Can I face this? Or should I take it easy, go back to the other titles everyone talks about, the “safe” games where people aren’t forced to face experiences wholly unpleasant and parts of themselves best kept hidden away forever? What terrible secrets lie locked within this horror game, and am I man enough to confront them? The incessant questioning of my own abilities makes my knees and lips quiver and my hands shake as if with palsy. The room grows more chill, yet I feel sweat on my palms. I’m disgusted that I continue. I’m even more disgusted that secretly, deep down, I enjoy the fear, the terror, and the dismay.

Worse yet, I reverse the psychology of it. I am the hunter, and the night terrors that lurk within the game my prey. I empathize with the slasher, bringing red ruin and the stuff of nightmares to the beasts sent forth to best me. The thought of it brings forth a toothy grin. I will defeat this game and leave it retching in a puddle of its own gore. After all, I’ve faced and slaughtered these horrors before, a butcher of zombies, beasts, and mutations, and I will do so again and again. I’m now far more monster than they are.

For my first game of the month, I’ve chosen Extermination, a PS2 biomutation mayhem title in the vein of Resident Evil, Carrier, and Cold Fear. From the little I’ve already played, I can say I have mixed feelings so far, though I’m impressed with the controls and variety of combat capabilities. In a genre known for limited combat, I can stay in third or switch to a first person view to shoot, and I have two different knife attacks. The biggest criticism is no button to take me instantly to the map, but I suppose I’ve been spoiled. And seeing such a heavy reliance on a laser sight so many years before Resident Evil 4 makes me wonder if this or the few other pre-RE4 titles I’ve seen try out the device were played by the dev team.

So guys, who else has started on their horror gaming, what games are you playing, and what are your impressions so far?