have you ever beaten a game in a language not your own?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
aaron
Next-Gen

have you ever beaten a game in a language not your own?

Post by aaron »

strange way to word this question, i guess... basically i'm wondering if you've ever beaten a japanese or other foreign language version of a game, either by fudging through it, using a translation guide, or just being knowledgeable.

i've beaten willy wombat and clockwork knight for saturn (NTSC-J), and i managed to fudge my way through front mission: gun hazard before i got the translation patch. i need to beat more games.
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
ShadicChao
24-bit

Re: have you ever beaten a game in a language not your own?

Post by ShadicChao »

Pokemon black and white
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

Post by Mod_Man_Extreme »

Sin and Punishment for the N64 and Zero Gunner 2 on the Dreamcast.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.

Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366
jeffesaurusrex
8-bit

Post by jeffesaurusrex »

Back when I was younger I managed to get myself through Dragonball Z: Hyper Dimension on an emulator in Japanese.
Mendoza
128-bit

Post by Mendoza »

SDF Macross Do You Remember Love for the Saturn.
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

Yeah, plenty of times.

Sengoku Basara 2, Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes, Sengoku Basara X, Neon Genesis Evangelion: Battle Orchestra, Namco X Capcom, Super Robot Wars Alpha 3, Both the Rurouni Kenshin games on the PS1 and the the one on the PS2, Berserk on PS2, Various Narutimette Hero games, Persona 3, Battle Stadium D.O.N., Jump Super Stars, Jump Ultimate Stars, KOF: Days of Memories Collection, Doki Doki Majo Shinpan!, Cotton 2, X-Men vs Street Fighter, Vampire Savior, Guardian Heroes, Valis 3,... yeah, I could go on for days.
Last edited by the7k on Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hashiriya1
Next-Gen

Re: have you ever beaten a game in a language not your own

Post by hashiriya1 »

When I was a kid most of my games were JPN games, but I did not speak a lick of Japanese (Family did business in Japan and Hong Kong at the time, so I got a lot of Japanese games/systems and bootleg carts whenever they came home). I was playing blindly as I had no idea wtf was going on. Now that I have no problems with Japanese-language games, I went back to play those old games just to see what I was fighting for. Somehow the magic of some of the games was lost after being able to understand the story. I felt "Oh, that's it? How boring" Sometimes your imagination is better than what the game's developers conjured up.
Last edited by hashiriya1 on Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the7k
Next-Gen

Re: have you ever beaten a game in a language not your own

Post by the7k »

hashiriya1 wrote:When I was a kid most of my games were JPN games, but I did not speak a lick of Japanese (Family did business in Japan and Hong Kong at the time, so I got a lot of Japanese games/systems and pirated carts whenever they came home). I was playing blindly as I had no idea wtf was going on. Now that I have no problems with Japanese-language games, I went back to play those old games just to see what I was fighting for. Somehow the magic of some of the games was lost after being able to understand the story. I felt "Oh, that's it? How boring" Sometimes your imagination is better than what the game's developers conjured up.

I've had the same feeling at times. When I'd play certain games in Japanese without knowing anything, it was somehow more fun - then, when the game would actually get translated, it just lost something. I guess I lost that sense of exploration and discovery.
synbiosfan
64-bit

Post by synbiosfan »

I beat Shining Force III's Scenario 2-3 and a few other JP Saturn games.
Diabetes Sucks!
swiftzx
Next-Gen

Post by swiftzx »

Jump Super Stars and Ouendan 2 on ds.
Sale thread (please buy!): viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19428