Namco Arcade Stick or Hori Virtua Fighter 4 Stick?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

Re: Namco Arcade Stick or Hori Virtua Fighter 4 Stick?

Post by Mod_Man_Extreme »

Betamax001 wrote:
Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:
kiteJargon wrote:That Namco stick looks pretty tight, I'm jealous.

He doesn't own one yet, that's the pic from the wiki entry.

I used it when I was looking for one in my WTB thread last year.

He does say that he has both.

Anyway use the Virtua Fighter one for VF and the Namco one for everything else!

Whoops! :oops: I misread that you were looking for a stick to buy.

Anyhow, take Beta's advice, it's exactly what I'd recommend.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.

Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

how does the namco stick compare to the hori RAP ps1/2 sticks?
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

dsheinem wrote:how does the namco stick compare to the hori RAP ps1/2 sticks?

M.U.R.D.E.R.S. it.

The Namco is perfect for lap or table play. Wheras the HORI's are massive and in the way the Namco is small and easy to use. Not to mention ergonomic, which is something I miss from practically every modern stick I've ever used.

It even beats out the Mad Catz tourney sticks in my opinion.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:

M.U.R.D.E.R.S. it.

The Namco is perfect for lap or table play. Wheras the HORI's are massive and in the way the Namco is small and easy to use. Not to mention ergonomic, which is something I miss from practically every modern stick I've ever used.

the massive size gives the hori/ madcatz weight and durability, which are a must. if this weighs less than say the DC Agetec stick, it would be far too light for my preference.
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

dsheinem wrote:
Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:

M.U.R.D.E.R.S. it.

the massive size gives the hori/ madcatz weight and durability, which are a must. if this weighs less than say the DC Agetec stick, it would be far too light for my preference.

The Namco Stick is hard steel on the bottom and hard steel on the top. The sides are made out of thick and heavy dark gray plastic which is very tough and takes a good beating.

The stick and buttons are all Seimitsu manufactured and it doesn't move around on a table thanks to it's fantastic design. The wedge shape causes all the force to drive downwards along the slope into the base and in turn the rubber feet, the result? No slipping and sliding.

There were a few cases of the sticks having HORI parts later on but that was after production was moved to mainland China. The first few years these were all Japan made. Later on the panels and casing were made in China while the PCB's and buttons were still Japan made. Finally all production for the case, pcb, sticks and buttons moved to China for it's final '98-'99 production run. This is when it became merely a licensed HORI product.

The PCB itself inside the stick was always a HORI part.

In my hunt for one of these last year I managed to eventually get ahold of all three revisions. I've got two sticks at then moment, one is a Japan made one, and the other is a China made one with Japanese parts. I used to have one of the later all Chinese crapolas, but sold it off as well it was generally garbage.
My Consoles:

dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:
The Namco Stick is hard steel on the bottom and hard steel on the top. The sides are made out of thick and heavy dark gray plastic which is very tough and takes a good beating.

The stick and buttons are all Seimitsu manufactured and it doesn't move around on a table thanks to it's fantastic design. The wedge shape causes all the force to drive downwards along the slope into the base and in turn the rubber feet, the result? No slipping and sliding.

There were a few cases of the sticks having HORI parts later on but that was after production was moved to mainland China. The first few years these were all Japan made. Later on the panels and casing were made in China while the PCB's and buttons were still Japan made. Finally all production for the case, pcb, sticks and buttons moved to China for it's final '98-'99 production run. This is when it became merely a licensed HORI product.

The PCB itself inside the stick was always a HORI part.

In my hunt for one of these last year I managed to eventually get ahold of all three revisions. I've got two sticks at then moment, one is a Japan made one, and the other is a China made one with Japanese parts. I used to have one of the later all Chinese crapolas, but sold it off as well it was generally garbage.

Lots of great info, thanks. But, I don't usually put a controller on a table but on my lap which is why weight is so important to me. The heavier the stick the less likely it is to move around when I don't want it to. I'm not asking you to weigh it, but would you say it weighs as much as the TE stick, a HRAP stick, an Agetec DC stick, or something like an Asciiware stick?
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

I'd say 4-5 pounds 6 at max, basically comparable to a DC stick.

It stays put when you game in your lap too. The design and ergonomics work together extremely well so that when your hands push down on the stick as you do 720's or the most arm wrenching move. The stick will actually push down and lock into your lap instead of sliding around like a flat box would.

Basically they took simple ergonomics with a nice incline for comfortable wrists and used it make physics your best friend instead of slippery nightmare.
My Consoles: