What do you guys want in the Retro gaming community?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Onyxthecat
Next-Gen

What do you guys want in the Retro gaming community?

Post by Onyxthecat »

I'm beginning to work on my senior thesis for my major, Industrial Design. Obviously, I'm interested in this gaming community and I want to know what you guys think is needed or what can improved upon product or system wise. My thoughts were leaning towards redoing a dreamcast shell like a Dreamcast Slim to sort of extend its life with people who may not have know about it or never played it. Are people interested in portables or multi systems? Basically what do people think can be helpful or added to this great community? I need to have three good directions for a tuesday presentation. Thanks for the input! :D :D
Kevman
128-bit

Re: What do you guys want in the Retro gaming community?

Post by Kevman »

Reproductions of rarer/pricier systems would be nice. For example maybe a Turbo Duo type device.
Para
128-bit

Post by Para »

I don't know if I understand the question properly but this is what I came up with.

Personally I am in favor of making exclusive games more available. By that I mean finding out good games for specific systems that were only released in certain regions, and then translating them making them accessible to people of other cultures. I know there are a lot of games released only in Japan that a lot of North Americans and Europeans missed out on. Games that aren't text heavy can still be played without understanding Japanese but I have a lot of games that I can't play because I simply don't know what the hell is going on.

I appreciate it when people take the time to translate ROMs because I have experienced a lot of great games that I normally would of missed out on.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

i dont know what you are asking exactly either but

i want any current generation console to be able to play older games , kind of how the Wii can run SNES, GENESIS, and more games.

PS3 should run ps2 and ps1 games.

Other consoles could be down-loadable content like snes roms, I know Nintendo won't let Sony use their games, but I am just saying, as long as what is currently in retail stores can play all older games I am happy

This way you can get any game you want for a price,
but you don't have to worry about laser dying , memory cards going bad, or cartridges not working.

Of course, if you want to get the genuine experience you will have to pay the price of hunting down all the hardware, software, and maintaining it, and worrying about when it will just die.
aaron
Next-Gen

Post by aaron »

sega neptune w/ saturn disc drive. make it so.
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
hcgamer
8-bit

Post by hcgamer »

Backwards compatibility for controllers peripherals not just games I have perfectly good working sega genesis and sega saturn six button controllers but I cannot use them to play the 2d fighting games on ps2 the official saturn ps2 pad is so overpriced. I cannot use my regular genesis and snes contrllers to play vc games on the wii why do I need a guncon 3 to play time crisis on ps3 when I have working guncon 1 and 2s?
Weekend_Warrior
Next-Gen

Post by Weekend_Warrior »

I always thought that since Nintendo is... well... NINTENDO! That they should come out with a 5-in-1 game system. Have cartridge slots for NES, SNES, and N64 games. And then of course be able to play Gamecube and Wii games.

Even if they sold it for $399 at retail. I bet they would still sell by the truckload! I mean, think about how awesome it would be to play all your old physical Nintendo games on one console without having to download them all on the Virtual Console, or via spotty emulation on other consoles.

Nintendo could do it. But they won't. Because they're lazy and greedy

Other than that... I guess all I really want is cheap beer and free pizza. And maybe a hot gamer girlfriend. lol
"Welcome to the circus of values!"

Currently Playing: Crysis (360), Destiny demo (PS3), Roadblasters (MAME)
Onyxthecat
Next-Gen

Post by Onyxthecat »

Thanks for the replies. For the people that didn't understand what I was asking, I am looking for ideas in the retro gaming community to possibly create something we can enjoy that doesn't exit or even an improvement on something. Making a Dreamcast Slim would be cool but a portable Saturn could also be interesting. Bluetooth SNES,DC,Saturn,NES controllers? Stuff like that :mrgreen:
Flake

Post by Flake »

It's probably more programming intensive than worth, but I would like a consolized emulator set up for S-Video and allowing the use of proprietary controllers. A lot of retro games are just too damn hard to find: Hence the joy of emulation. But I hate playing on a computer.

I know they have handheld variations on this idea but none of them have seem to have gotten it right yet.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
EllertMichael
Next-Gen

Post by EllertMichael »

aaron wrote:sega neptune w/ saturn disc drive. make it so.

yes. I would want a backwards compatible Sega Saturn.