Any chance carts could make a comeback?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Re: Any chance carts could make a comeback?

Post by GSZX1337 »

slowslow325 wrote:There will be a new form of media after blu-ray. It will probably be on a disc similar in shape, but might be completely different.

I think it's unlikely we'll have a new disc format after Blu-Ray considering how big Blu-Ray discs can be (BDXL). By the time we need something larger than Blu-Rays, Digital Distribution will be in full swing. Either that or SkyNet will have taken over.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

Post by Mod_Man_Extreme »

Hatta wrote:A little googling yielded this research paper that quotes Flash data retention at around 100 years, even longer than standard EEPROMs. Here is a data sheet from TI with some nice graphs showing how they get these numbers.

I suspect your USB key corruption is due not to aging of the flash, but possibly a flaky controller or an electrically noisy environment. Pockets are staticy places. The quality of flash memory is probably highly variable too. If designed well however, a flash based cartridge should be every bit as reliable as the EPROM cartridges we all love.

I am not sure what to say about the post immediately preceding this one. I'll just point out that battery backed save RAM is volatile and nonmagnetic, hard disks are non-volatile and magnetic. Flash memory is nonvolatile and nonmagnetic. They are all going to suffer from distinct failure modes.

What you linked me to was data remanence.

Data remanence is not data degradation. These are two completely different things.

Degradation is where the data begins to corrupt and disappear over time.

Remanence is when after formatting you can still extract bits and pieces of the first data you wrote to the discs.

Also, the cartridges we have bought from companies for decades AREN'T EEPROMS. They are Mask ROMS. Mask ROMS (to say it as simply as possible and not really into any detail) are basically grid array chips where they have a fixed metal data grid and burn all of the data into it. This basically amounts to a large logic circuit on a chip.

The data will never fade away period, and is permanently stored until the chip itself is crushed to bits with a hammer.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.

Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

Rurouni_Fencer wrote:Same concept with saved games on cartridges..
Those saved games on our Zelda's and Final Fantasy's should last about 18 to 22 years without constant use. This is because of some degree of magnets being used inside the batteries, and because the Earth's rotation switches after 20 some odd years of orbiting the sun, thereby affecting magnetic properties on Earth, especially in hard drives and battery-backed memory. So if memory isn't moved around once every few months or so, it lays dormant and could disappear after so many years. (Mod_man, is this right in so many words..?) I would imagine Flash memory works in kind of the same way as a Hard Drive, the exception of course being the lack of a platter and an actuator arm.

My 200th post here on Racketboy - Hey! I had to make it a nerdy one!! :lol:

Ummm......no... :|

Battery backed memory is a little tiny bit of RAM that is kept powered on when the cart is unplugged by the little battery. After so many years the battery will die. Then you replace it.

Think of it like a watch or game boy or whatever battery operated device you own. Eventually you'll have to replace the battery no matter how efficient it is.

EDIT!: Also flash is NV Memory (non volatile) that means that it's not affected by any magnetic junk. same with hard disks and such everything is designed and shielded to where it's not just gonna erase thanks to a refrigerator magnet.

Flash is just not permanent no matter what. It'll hold your data for a good long time if maintained properly but not forever and definitely not 10-15 years.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

slowslow325
Next-Gen

Post by slowslow325 »

GSZX1337 wrote:
slowslow325 wrote:There will be a new form of media after blu-ray. It will probably be on a disc similar in shape, but might be completely different.

I think it's unlikely we'll have a new disc format after Blu-Ray considering how big Blu-Ray discs can be (BDXL). By the time we need something larger than Blu-Rays, Digital Distribution will be in full swing. Either that or SkyNet will have taken over.

A lot of people will always prefer hard copies of their games. I doubt digital distribution will take over for everything for a really long time.
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

Post by gtmtnbiker »

Hatta wrote:
Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:It is currently illegal to sell a finished retail software product which is considered to be a permanent item on degradable, temporary or self destructing media. (And no floppies/magnetic media don't count as they are considered reusable media and were grandfathered in.)

What law is that?

Ditto. I've been in the software industry for 20+ years and never heard of such a law. You need to cite a legit reference other than "My HS computer teacher told me"
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

gtmtnbiker wrote:
Hatta wrote:
Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:It is currently illegal to sell a finished retail software product which is considered to be a permanent item on degradable, temporary or self destructing media. (And no floppies/magnetic media don't count as they are considered reusable media and were grandfathered in.)

What law is that?

Ditto. I've been in the software industry for 20+ years and never heard of such a law. You need to cite a legit reference other than "My HS computer teacher told me"

I used to know what it was called, but it's been like four years. I'm sure someone can find it via google, I'm just a lazy bastard. :P
My Consoles:

gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

Post by gtmtnbiker »

Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:I used to know what it was called, but it's been like four years. I'm sure someone can find it via google, I'm just a lazy bastard. :P

I googled for a bit before I posted my previous message. I could not find any such statute.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

slowslow325 wrote:
GSZX1337 wrote:

A lot of people will always prefer hard copies of their games. I doubt digital distribution will take over for everything for a really long time.

Unfortunately, they're likely to be left in the dust. Or maybe gaming will have an equivalent to Warner Brother's On Demand.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Post by Jrecee »

How has this gone on for 5 pages? We all know the future of gaming: