Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
finerion
64-bit

Re: Which version of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow will you get?

by finerion Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:01 pm

Downloading demo now...
Jerkface Killah
32-bit

by Jerkface Killah Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:00 pm

So I got the PS3 version, but I haven't played it yet. Damn chores. They ruin a perfectly good day off.
JFK
darthmunky
Next-Gen

by darthmunky Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:39 pm

I have both systems but I only buy exclusives on PS3.
- Check out my Trade List
- Check out my Want List
- My GameTZ feedback
- My eBay feedback
Onikage
16-bit

by Onikage Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:05 pm

I didn't like the demo at all. The combat was dull. Having a weapon with a really long range and area of effect is just stupid design, it makes the game play like a button masher, unlike a game like Devil may cry for example where you have to put consideration into every move that you make. And quicktime events are lame as hell.
I didn't get a horror vibe from it. It felt more like an epic fantasy adventure, which it is really. The soundtrack was generic sounding cinematic music.. The whole thing was just mediocre.
Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

by Rurouni_Fencer Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:34 pm

Onikage wrote:The combat was dull. Having a weapon with a really long range and area of effect is just stupid design, it makes the game play like a button masher, unlike a game like Devil may cry for example where you have to put consideration into every move that you make.

If you go into it with the attitude that it's a button masher, you're gonna have a rough time.. Didn't play the demo, so I don't know what level they threw at you, but after finishing the first chapter last night, the first boss alone, (Lesser Warg,) brutally demonstrates to you the need for strategy. Blocking and counter-attacking, as well as patience and attention to boss attack strategies are essential for every boss in the game so far.

And before you knock it, check out the Ice Titan battle.. Hello again, Shadow of Colossus!

edit: I'm also playing it on the 3rd highest difficulty, (the 4th and hardest is locked at startup.) This may make the game more strategy friendly, and less slash n' bash friendly (ala Bayonetta.)
B/S/T Thread *Updated 7/30/11*
Rurouni_Fencer »» 39 (as of 6/27/2018)
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:21 pm

Jerkface Killah wrote:I've looked at some reviews but none of them recommend one version over the other. I think I'm just going with PS3.

That's the problem with reviewers today, lazy as hell. Covering version differences should be standard issue in any multi-platform review. That's why we have sites like digital foundry and lens of truth, because reviewers are useless. I'm going with PS3 if that was the lead platform. I like the PS3 better than the 360 anyway and even though I have a ton more 360 achievements than I do trophies, I'm always more interested in getting the best version of a game and the blue ray format alone makes that the PS3 one in my opinion

I'm gonna try the demo first though. I hope it's good. I liked Lament of Innocence and I want Castlevania to focus on 3D games. I absolutely love 2D Vania, but there's enough 2D Castlevania games to fill Noah's Ark and all they are doing is recycling Symphony of the Night over and over again. It's getting redundant, much like Mega Man 9, 10 and the inevitable Mega Man 11 are
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
IcKy99
Next-Gen

by IcKy99 Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:25 pm

ill be getting this for PS3 im also gonna download SoTN off PSN finally too
jfe2
Next-Gen

by jfe2 Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:42 pm

finerion wrote:Downloading demo now...

Same here. Playing some Zombie Apocalypse while I wait for it to finish. :)
Ack

by Ack Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:49 pm

Gamerforlife wrote:I'm gonna try the demo first though. I hope it's good. I liked Lament of Innocence and I want Castlevania to focus on 3D games. I absolutely love 2D Vania, but there's enough 2D Castlevania games to fill Noah's Ark and all they are doing is recycling Symphony of the Night over and over again. It's getting redundant, much like Mega Man 9, 10 and the inevitable Mega Man 11 are

I picked this up yesterday and have given it some solid time. It's not Lament of Innocence, not by a long shot. That's not to say it's bad, just different in terms of style. Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness felt very much like 3D attempts at the "Metroidvania" style Symphony of the Night popularized. But Lords of Shadow goes for a more episodic style that feels a lot more like it's going back to the 8-bit days. But the game does keep the backtracking to find further secrets in levels once you've upgraded your equipment, and you can access any previously played chapter and level via the world map. The game also tells you how much you've seen in any level, and I find quite often that I walk out with less than 20% completed in any given area.

Adding to the replay, completed levels also unlock a trial for the player to go back and try, and it tracks what difficulty each level has been finished in. I've beaten the trial and unlocked everything in one level, so all I have to do is go back and beat it on the higher difficulties (I'm playing normal right now). But that's one level out of the 20 or so I've played through.

The game does have more of a fantasy feel than a straight horror one, though there's been a few places that made me shudder (one of the mounts in particular grosses me out).

I have mixed feelings about the title. The music and sound effects have all been top notch, though there really haven't been any memorable tracks. The voice acting is solid, though I dislike some of the dialogue. The plot is...well, it's nothing stellar, at least as far as I've gotten, though it does have its moments. The ultimate fate of the psychic girl and her golem was quite unexpected.

The game does borrow heavily from other games, but I don't consider this a bad thing: what it takes from others, it does its best to implement well. Yes, Titan battles are like Shadow of the Colossus. Combat feels extremely similar to God of War. The plot carries undertones of Dante's Inferno. I even found a very misplaced reference to Portal in one of the notes. But aside from that last one, this game takes those pieces and fits them together in a build that I at least find entertaining. And new moves are unlocked via an experience system like in other games with this style, though I have to admit the 2D drawings that represent what a move will do is a nostalgic highlight.

Also, while I dislike quick-time events, these at least do a decent job of giving ample warning if you're expecting them. I do wish I could turn them off for scenes I've already witnessed though. I want to watch the death of the Werewolf Lord, not sit and wait to press a button. Some of the grabs on smaller critters will help the player get used to the quick-time system, and they're worth practicing on. For instance, executing a grab on a gremlin and then pulling off the quick-time event leads to kneeing him in the groin, which apparently causes gremlins to explode.

All in all, I'm enjoying the game so far. But I'm nowhere near being done yet, so my opinion may very well change.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
jfe2
Next-Gen

by jfe2 Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:58 pm

I just finished the demo and I really enjoyed it. As far as atmosphere goes, this felt a lot more like the original NES title, and less like the more popular Metroidvania games, and that's not necessarily a bad thing IMO. Combat felt good too, and it seems like the combo system is going to get a lot deeper. Ack's assessment did a lot to make me feel like its something I'm going to like. I'm definitely picking it up on Friday when I get paid.
Return to General Gaming