Which current system do you think has the best game library

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else

Which current system do you think has the best game library today?

DS
29%
Wii
12%
Xbox 360
22%
PC
10%
Playstation 3
25%
PSP
2%

Total votes: 59

MrEco
Next-Gen

Re: Which current system do you think has the best game library

Post by MrEco »

Flake wrote:
MrEco wrote:I don't think the DS has enough original games that match my tastes.

And the xbox360 and ps3 are awash in original, ground breaking titles? The 'First Person Shooter 47: The Revenge' and '3rd Person Platformer 17: Press buttons in Sequence edition' machines?

I'm actually not a big fan of FPS's. And QTE's (While a little annoyingly common) aren't exactly reason enough to denounce an entire games quality in my opinion.

All in all I truly don't believe the stereotype that 360 and PS3 have nothing but pretty graphics and multiplayer shooters. I could make a list of games like Bioshock, MGS4, Demon's Souls, Fallout 3, Assassin's Creed, Borderlands, Dragon Age: Origin's, Bayonetta, Flower, Castle Crashers and other such games that I find unique and interesting (And aren't available on DS) but I won't.

P.S. And when I said "original" I wasn't even talking about games that have fresh new ideas and don't follow the norm. I was talking about ports of older games from earlier consoles. Do try and keep up old chum.
I feel old when talking to anyone my age yet too inexperienced to effectively talk to anyone older. Life is grand that way.

My twitter handle is @EckoExplores
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

no iPhone option?

not that I'd vote for it, but the argument has been made...

I voted PS3. My vote would go PS3>PC>360>Wii>PSP>iPhone>DS.
irixith
Next-Gen

Post by irixith »

MrEco wrote:P.S. And when I said "original" I wasn't even talking about games that have fresh new ideas and don't follow the norm. I was talking about ports of older games from earlier consoles. Do try and keep up old chum.

Can you give some examples of the "ports" that the DS is drowning in? There are definitely some *remakes*, such as Final Fantasy 3, 4 & Chrono Trigger, but I'm hard pressed to think of many ports. Even Super Mario 64, which was early in the DS's lifespan was not a direct port.

It'd probably be more accurate to say there are three main pillars of DS games -- originals, remakes and shovelware. Even when you rip out shovelware and remakes, the library of originals is pretty fantastic, even if it doesn't suit everyone's taste.

(..and like I said in my first post in the thread, I simply can't choose a best. I like the different libraries for different reasons. If I thought there was one 'best' library, I'd probably only own that one system and have my gaming time very simplified. ;))
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

dsheinem wrote:no iPhone option?

not that I'd vote for it, but the argument has been made...

I voted PS3. My vote would go PS3>PC>360>Wii>PSP>iPhone>DS.

Do i take it you aren't much a of a portable gamer?

For me it would go DS> Wii > PSP > PS3 > 360. Cant talk for PC as i'm not a fan of pc gaming,and i've never played any iPhone stuff.
MrEco
Next-Gen

Post by MrEco »

irixith wrote:Can you give some examples of the "ports" that the DS is drowning in? There are definitely some *remakes*, such as Final Fantasy 3, 4 & Chrono Trigger, but I'm hard pressed to think of many ports. Even Super Mario 64, which was early in the DS's lifespan was not a direct port.

In what I said earlier I was lumping ports and remakes together.

irixith wrote:Even when you rip out shovelware and remakes, the library of originals is pretty fantastic, even if it doesn't suit everyone's taste.

And if not many of them match a persons tastes why should they like the system?
I feel old when talking to anyone my age yet too inexperienced to effectively talk to anyone older. Life is grand that way.

ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

Cause you can say the DS doesn't have good graphics, doesn't have this doesn't have that, you just can not say that the DS doesn't have original games. Out of all gaming platforms this gen, it has the most (in numbers and in quality) original games. Heck even compared to the previous gen it has more original games than the PS2 had.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Flake

Post by Flake »

MrEco wrote:P.S. And when I said "original" I wasn't even talking about games that have fresh new ideas and don't follow the norm. I was talking about ports of older games from earlier consoles. Do try and keep up old chum.

No need to be condescending friend. You've made an insanely bold claim and presented no logical explanation. You have to expect questioning. Even this list you've given just now is chock full of sequels (MGS4 and Fallout 3?), rehashes of old genres (Bayonetta May Cry?), or titles that are ALSO on the Nintendo DS (Assassin's creed, much?).

If it's graphics you like (nothing wrong with that) then by all means, the PS3 definitely has the library for you. I just don't think you have much of a grasp of the depth and breadth of the DS collection - and that's fine. We can't all of us play every single game on every single platform.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
MrEco
Next-Gen

Post by MrEco »

ZeroAX wrote:Cause you can say the DS doesn't have good graphics, doesn't have this doesn't have that, you just can not say that the DS doesn't have original games. Out of all gaming platforms this gen, it has the most (in numbers and in quality) original games. Heck even compared to the previous gen it has more original games than the PS2 had.

I never said it didn't have original games. Don't put words in my mouth please. I said I don't like what ones it does have. Also, it is not possible to say it has the most in quantity and quality because quality is purely subjective.

MrEco
Next-Gen

Post by MrEco »

Flake wrote:No need to be condescending friend.

What do you expect? When everyone seems to like jumping down my throat for a reason as stupid and immature as a disagreement in video game choices of course I'm going to get a little defensive.

Flake wrote:You've made an insanely bold claim and presented no logical explanation.

I don't have too. It was only my opinion. You people are making a way bigger deal out of it than I ever intended. If I had known this was gonna be the reaction I never would have bothered posting.

Flake wrote:If it's graphics you like (nothing wrong with that) then by all means, the PS3 definitely has the library for you. I just don't think you have much of a grasp of the depth and breadth of the DS collection - and that's fine. We can't all of us play every single game on every single platform.

Actually I have quite a good idea what games are on the DS. I once spent a large amount of time researching all the games on DS and PSP when trying to decide which one I would prefer to buy (Also as I said earlier I have played the DS at friends houses and such). So yes, I know what I'm talking about.

ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

Cause as we know insults always get the point across....oh wait...
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.