Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
ujnhunter
64-bit

Re: Will buying Sonic Adventure lead to Shenmue III being made?

by ujnhunter Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:13 pm

First of all... this will in NO way affect a possible Shenmue III. Secondly, I'd avoid ALL Sonic games like the plague! Sonic = garbage that Sega pumps out instead of making good games.
Breetai
Next-Gen

by Breetai Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:02 pm

ujnhunter wrote:Secondly, I'd avoid ALL Sonic games like the plague! Sonic = garbage that Sega pumps out instead of making good games.

This comment renders anything else you might say pointless for the next 100 years. Have you even touched Sonic 3 & Knuckles before? :roll:

So, does anyone know how well the first two Shenmue games sold and the reason why Shenmue III hasn't happened?
crux
128-bit

Re: I want Shenmue III

by crux Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:09 pm

Buying such a horrible port does more damage than it does good, regardless of the iffy logic behind a Shenmue III rally.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:15 pm

Breetai wrote:DUKE NUKEM FOREVER!

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER

Parrot DNF all you fucking want, it won't affect Shenmue III one bit.

A few differences:
Duke Nukem Forever has been worked on (so we are told) ever since the release of D3D.
More is at stake with DNF. Duke Nukem Forever needs to be released. There's been too much money thrown at it for it to not come out and bring in revenue.
Duke Nukem 3D was successful.
Just because GearBox is working on DNF doesn't mean it will definitely come out.

Duke Nukem Forever and Shenmue III are two different cases.

Breetai wrote:
ujnhunter wrote:Secondly, I'd avoid ALL Sonic games like the plague! Sonic = garbage that Sega pumps out instead of making good games.

This comment renders anything else you might say pointless for the next 100 years. Have you even touched Sonic 3 & Knuckles before? :roll:

I'm guessing ujnhunter didn't think the Genesis Sonic games needed to be mentioned.

So, does anyone know how well the first two Shenmue games sold and the reason why Shenmue III hasn't happened?

What is there that needs to be known? Shenmue was successful enough to warrant a sequel. Shenmue II flopped enough to have Sega consistently say "NO" to a sequel for ~10 years now.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Breetai
Next-Gen

by Breetai Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:42 pm

GSZX1337 wrote:

What is there that needs to be known? Shenmue was successful enough to warrant a sequel. Shenmue II flopped enough to have Sega consistently say "NO" to a sequel for ~10 years now.

The first one was a failure in the sales department, but since we much was already invested in it and the sequel (which had been made concurrently with the first one), it would have been foolish not to release it. Of course the reason III was not made was because of disappointing sales; something that could be somewhat rectified if potential re-releases of I/II sell well. Money talks. If money says that Shenmue III could have a chance at being profitable, then there is a slight morsel of hope. Yeah, it probably won't happen, but the whole point of the Duke Nukem thing is that anything is possible.
Niode
Next-Gen

by Niode Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:03 am

Breetai wrote:
GSZX1337 wrote:

The first one was a failure in the sales department, but since we much was already invested in it and the sequel (which had been made concurrently with the first one), it would have been foolish not to release it. Of course the reason III was not made was because of disappointing sales; something that could be somewhat rectified if potential re-releases of I/II sell well. Money talks. If money says that Shenmue III could have a chance at being profitable, then there is a slight morsel of hope. Yeah, it probably won't happen, but the whole point of the Duke Nukem thing is that anything is possible.

Yes, but buying a shitty port of a shitty port isn't going to convince Sega to port Shenmue. It's just going to convince Sega that they can get away with porting shitty games and have them sell millions. That is the exact opposite of what we want them to do.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
Breetai
Next-Gen

by Breetai Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:06 pm

Niode wrote:Yes, but buying a shitty port of a shitty port isn't going to convince Sega to port Shenmue. It's just going to convince Sega that they can get away with porting shitty games and have them sell millions. That is the exact opposite of what we want them to do.

'tis true that selling a DX "upgrade" on launch day was cheeky, as was calling it a DC game but then giving us the PC port with no widescreen option. There have been enough complaints about that already that Sega has definitely heard them. Will they address them? Sadly, they have a history of not always doing so. Blame Japan, I guess?

How else do fans let Sega now that Shenmue III is worth doing?
the King
Next-Gen

by the King Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:13 pm

Specineff
16-bit

by Specineff Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:59 am

^^^

My thoughts exactly. Sega is a company. They are in the market to make money, not to post artsy fartsy games. Shenmue costed as much as a motion picture to make, and put a dent in their coffers. It's not like they could look to the DVD release to recover some money like studios do.

Every single model and texture in Shenmue 3 is going to cost money. If they don't put enough money in it, they run the risk of the game not living up to the other two and not selling. Loss.

If they put a lot of money in it, they run the risk of not recouping their investment. (Did the first two games break even?) Loss.

Fan love isn't enough to keep a company or franchise going, as evidenced sadly with the Dreamcast. As much as I'd love to find out what happens next with Ryo, what makes us think the game would sell well enough to warrant its development costs, given the results with the other two? We should be grateful that Sega has been surviving all this time as a publisher or 3rd-party, instead of having joined the ranks of Atari, Commodore or 3D0.

They are better off inventing new franchises or keeping their current ones updated. Gaming is a risky business, and attempting *now* the same type of venture that hurt them so bad many years ago would be nothing short of stupid. It's as if Microsoft used the Vista core for Windows 8 or 9 down the road. Suicide.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

by Pulsar_t Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:05 am

The Shenmue fanbase is so small even a fanproject has never been attempted.
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
Return to General Gaming