Games on the iPad

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Games on the iPad

Post by RCBH928 »

Hello,

I just ordered an iPad, and as I was looking at my friend's ipad
I noticed that most games are simple 2D games with HD graphics.

I think the iPad is at 1ghz, and 256 ram(the ps3 is 256 ram, but I am not sure what is the link)
Isn't it possible for it to run games just as good as the psp and ds?
correct me if I am wrong, but can't it even run games on par with psx and saturn?

currently I don't think much 3D games exist, but the device looks like its very powerful yet highly under used.

I believe the iphone 4 has 512 ram, what does that say compared to the ipad? does it mean iphone can run more power hungry games?
neilencio
64-bit

Re: Games on the iPad

Post by neilencio »

I believe the ipod touch and the iphone are more game-oriented than the iPad. The iPad is similar to a netbook, it can run games but its priority is for light browsing, web surfing, etc.
Visit my wife's blog: Pinay Geek
enderfall
128-bit

Post by enderfall »

I wouldn't say that the iPad is only web browsing oriented. There are a few games that certainly display it's graphical capabilities, but at the moment, they are only ports and/or upgrades of iPhone/iPod Touch games. GTA: Chinatown Wars and NOVA (Chaos Rings might also be a good choice, although I've never played it)are some of the best games currently on the iPad. Right now, it's a chicken and egg situation. Developers are probably waiting for a larger install base before they spend resources developing the game from the ground up.

In time, we should start to see some new games pop up for the iPad that will start to push it's technical specs.
NES | SNES | Genesis | PSOne | Saturn | N64 | Dreamcast | Gamecube | XBox | PS2 Phat w/HDLoader | PS3 Slim| Wii
GBA SP | PSP-1000 | WiFi-iPad 16GB(Is this a game system?) | Modded PS1 | PS Vita 3G

Goozex referral: http://www.goozex.com/referral.asp?idr=6186585560772

http://backloggery.com/enderfall/sig.gif
jeffro11
128-bit

Post by jeffro11 »

Apple just opened up the App Store rules to allow third party development tools.

Unity (they were having issues with Apple), Unreal Deveopment Kit(COMING VERY SOON). We may even see the Quake3 engine ported!
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

jeffro11 wrote:Apple just opened up the App Store rules to allow third party development tools.

Unity (they were having issues with Apple), Unreal Deveopment Kit(COMING VERY SOON). We may even see the Quake3 engine ported!

does this mean that the future is very very bright?
jeffro11
128-bit

Post by jeffro11 »

Very!
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I just played Plants vs Zombies HD on the iPad of my friend
and the game is SUPERB !!!

this is the kind of games I WANT to pay for.
Hoping in the future they get more games of this "quality" not necessarily genre
Octopod
Next-Gen

Post by Octopod »

Well, if you like Plants vs Zombies maybe you will like other PopCap games like Bejeweled or Zuma's Revenge. My wife likes some of their games.
Para
128-bit

Post by Para »

Get Fruit Ninja, it is awesome.

I'm not sure if these games are on the iPad but I have them on my iPhone and they are awesome:

Solomon's Keep - Really good simplified Diablo clone
Doodle Jump - Pretty popular simple game
Peggle - Everyone should know Peggle by now 8)
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

kingmohd84 wrote:I just played Plants vs Zombies HD on the iPad of my friend
and the game is SUPERB !!!

this is the kind of games I WANT to pay for.
Hoping in the future they get more games of this "quality" not necessarily genre

I firmly believe that Plants VS Zombies on iPhone/iTouch/iPad is actually superior to the PC version.

Regarding lack of 3D games. I was under the impression that all iPhone apps will work on an iPad it's just that certain apps are optimised for use with iPad. If that's the case there are tonnes of 3D games on the App store. Here are the 3D games that I own:

Real Racing (one of the best on app store)
Rayman 2 (port of the Dreamcast game)
Ghosts & Goblins (ignore the reviews that say the controls suck, they don't it's just the classic - not being able to change your direction when you jump. Just like the original)
Asphalt 5 (good arcade style racing game)
Ridge Racer (graphics could easily be better but it's about the same as the PSP version)
Monkey Ball & Super Monkey Ball 2 (don't really need to explain this, the second one controls a lot better than the first though)
NOVA (first person shooter, controls take a little bit of getting used to but the graphics are nice)
Pinball HD (gorgeous looking pinball sim, looks just as good as Zen Pinball or Pinball FX, it even supports gyroscopic & anaglyphic 3D)
Red Alert (not as good as the PC games but still pretty fun to play on the go)
Enigmo (interesting physics based puzzle game)
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys