Just got SF4 and I stink!

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Niode
Next-Gen

Re: Just got SF4 and I stink!

Post by Niode »

The 360 controller sucks for every character except Zangief. SImply because those 360/720 rolls are child's play with an analogue stick. You can seriously dominate with zangief once you figure out the timing of the rolls and when to counter. His throws hit HARD. Learn a few of the meaty combos in the challenges and you're set. As long as you aren't turtling you'll win most matchups online. When zangief is walking towards you he's extremely threatening because if you get into a corner against Zangief you're in for a world of pain.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
Zapf
8-bit

Post by Zapf »

You should play some KoF on ggpo nathan! You can get a neo geo -> usb adapter probably if you want to use your AES controller - they also made some usb and ps2 versions of the neo geo stick http://www.shopncsx.com/neogeostick2usbcontroller.aspx (there are better sticks out there but if you're comfortable with this who am I to say you're wrong!).

There are thousands of chinese online right now, waiting to tear you apart in kof 98
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

Post by Mod_Man_Extreme »

emwearz wrote:SSF4 has a second Ultra for every character, new stages and new characters.

You unlock characters by meeting requirements.
http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2009/02/15/how-to-unlock-all-street-fighter-4-secret-characters-guide.htm

The 360 controller is horrid for fighting games, why so many people have opted for arcade sticks / fighter pads (Which are similar to Saturn pads in presentation).

Glad you getting the hang of it though.

SSF4 also had a complete rebalancing and fixed the broken collision detection from the first game. Not to mention it's leagues faster that SSF4, basically regular SF4 is an ice cream truck and SSF4 is a dragster.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.

Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366
Zapf
8-bit

Post by Zapf »

Its not really that much faster to be honest.
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

The Street Fighter series is downright rigid when compared to say, King of Fighters. SNK fighting games usually give you a way out which results in a more dynamic style of play. Fatal Fury had the plane switch, KoF has rolls and leans to avoid attacks or get behind your opponents. The Street Fighter series has never really had this extra dimension. Capcom has tried to fill this void with "focus" or "parry" techniques. Save for a few characters who have specials that allow them to move "through" opponents (Akuma, Dahlsim, etc), you are going toe to toe until one of you falls in Street Fighter.
jfe2
Next-Gen

Post by jfe2 »

I would have to recommend the TE Edition fight stick from Madcatz. That thing makes it like playing in an arcade, minus the boogers and bodily fluids all over the controls.
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

Agreed. The TE from Madcatz is the best bang for the buck in the arcade stick market these days. I would even buy one of those before I would build my own. They are that good.
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

wip3outguy7 wrote:Agreed. The TE from Madcatz is the best bang for the buck in the arcade stick market these days. I would even buy one of those before I would build my own. They are that good.

I've got two of them, I love them. Plus having two means you can get rid of the notion that you're winning because of the controls rather than your skill. Plus you can plug them into a PC and use them with emulators.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
EvilRyu2099
Next-Gen

Post by EvilRyu2099 »

wip3outguy7 wrote:The Street Fighter series is downright rigid when compared to say, King of Fighters. SNK fighting games usually give you a way out which results in a more dynamic style of play. Fatal Fury had the plane switch, KoF has rolls and leans to avoid attacks or get behind your opponents. The Street Fighter series has never really had this extra dimension. Capcom has tried to fill this void with "focus" or "parry" techniques. Save for a few characters who have specials that allow them to move "through" opponents (Akuma, Dahlsim, etc), you are going toe to toe until one of you falls in Street Fighter.

I think there is a bias to this posting.. There was that "dynamic" in the III series.. You had parries and had to rely on situational Super Arts rather than the run and gun style seen in the alpha series or even most SNK games.. My favorite SNK fighter to this day is still Garou due to the "Just Defend" implemented in it, my second favorite being Last Blade 2.. I pretty much thought the KoF series, while great, is a bit overrated as well.. The reason most tournament players don't play KoF as often is because you don't get the chess match you do with the Street FIghter III or Guilty Gear XX series..
PSN: GoTigers9999
Live: Iori8000
Nintendo:Iori9999 3DS Friend Code: 4012-3366-0941
My Twitch stream channel!
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Weird.
I didn't just get SF4 but I stink too.