11%
A sequel is a perfect solutio
7%

Total votes: 45

AppleQueso

Re: Do you believe in game remakes?

Post by AppleQueso »

GSZX1337 wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:Remakes are tough to get right. Only remake I can think of that were unanimously well received by both fans and critics alike was the Resident Evil remake on gamecube.

What about Super Mario All-Stars or Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X?

All-Stars I almost don't count as a remake. The games just received a graphical facelift and a new save feature, nothing more. If you're going to count it though then sure it's a great remake.

I've never played Maverick Hunter X and honestly have no clue how fans received it, etc.
Flake

Post by Flake »

AppleQueso wrote:I've never played Maverick Hunter X and honestly have no clue how fans received it, etc.

Every decision they made with Maverick Hunter X is a text book example of 'leave well enough alone'. Not a single choice made in that games design felt like an improvement. If the game is made right the first time it doesn't need to be remade.

If developers want to take an older game and use it as inspiration for a newer game, that's fine. But a straight remake is just one trip to the well too many. I'm looking at you, Squaresoft.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
hashiriya1
Next-Gen

Post by hashiriya1 »

I am still waiting for a remake of Herzog Zwei....dammit.
Octopod
Next-Gen

Post by Octopod »

I hate remakes of anything.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

AppleQueso wrote:
GSZX1337 wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:Remakes are tough to get right. Only remake I can think of that were unanimously well received by both fans and critics alike was the Resident Evil remake on gamecube.

What about Super Mario All-Stars or Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X?

All-Stars I almost don't count as a remake. The games just received a graphical facelift and a new save feature, nothing more.

As far as I'm aware, the Super Mario games in All-Stars are completely remade, not just enhanced ports.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

GSZX1337 wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:What about Super Mario All-Stars or Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X?

All-Stars I almost don't count as a remake. The games just received a graphical facelift and a new save feature, nothing more.

As far as I'm aware, the Super Mario games in All-Stars are completely remade, not just enhanced ports.[/quote]
Hm, they feel like enhanced ports to me.
SwooshBear
Next-Gen

Post by SwooshBear »

Well it depends, ports suck. some remakes are okay but im not a big fan of them. the first remakes that came to mind were super mario all stars and resident evil gc editions so i guess they're acceptable lol
Incognito D wrote:Mere months after buying my original GBA, Nintendo trolled me hard by releasing the SP.

Check me out on twitter: SwooshBear742
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Flake wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:I've never played Maverick Hunter X and honestly have no clue how fans received it, etc.

Every decision they made with Maverick Hunter X is a text book example of 'leave well enough alone'. Not a single choice made in that games design felt like an improvement. If the game is made right the first time it doesn't need to be remade.

If developers want to take an older game and use it as inspiration for a newer game, that's fine. But a straight remake is just one trip to the well too many. I'm looking at you, Squaresoft.

Maverick Hunter X was an EXCELLENT remake that got good reviews and I enjoyed playing it. They updated the visuals but kept it true to the style of the original. The music remixes sounded great without straying very far from the way the originals sounded(much better than the shitty remixes in the disc based versions of Mega Man X 3). Gameplaywise, they mostly left well enough alone. X's stages play just like the original except they moved his upgrades around. Vile mode is really where they changed things around in each level. That, plus Vile's unique way of playing gave the game a nice new feel. Vile mode is much like Zero's story mode in MMX 4. He has his own cutscenes and he plays different, but by changing level design and enemy placement, he adds even more to the game than Zero did in MMX 4.

Vile mode and the new anime cutscenes are what make the game worth checking out

After owning a PSP for awhile, I have to say that I am open to remakes because Final Fantasy Tactics:War of the Lions, Dracula X:Chronicles and Maverick Hunter X were all excellent. The PSP has some EXCELLENT remakes on it of old school classics. One of the system's strengths if you're a retro gamer
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
jinn
128-bit

Post by jinn »

Did anyone enjoy Twin Snakes on the GC
PSone, Xbox, PS2, DC, SS Mod Service, PM for details
FiftyDollarCurse
128-bit

Post by FiftyDollarCurse »

If it results in a great game being played by more people, then it's all good.

I believe in game remakes. *thumbs up.*