Sound Design

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
J T
Next-Gen

Sound Design

Post by J T »

I once had an assignment to do a report in school about movie foleys. I have since been interested in how people create sounds for movies and games. Did you know that the noise of Tie-Fighters flying by in Star Wars was created by recording cars going by on the Interstate through a funnel, and then messing around with the speed of the recording? Or that E.T.'s foot step sounds were created by sloshing around Jello and Liver in a wet towel?

I just found this video of the sound design for the upcoming game Amnesia: The Dark Descent, which looks like it's going to be a hell of a scary game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q06d40zC ... r_embedded

There is an awesome gameplay Trailer here where you can hear how sound affects the horror elements of the game:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/57300/
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Re: Sound Design

Post by Gamerforlife »

I've often said that sound is a very underrated aspect of gaming. I actually view it as more important than graphics
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Para
128-bit

Post by Para »

That game looks scary as hell. :shock:
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Para wrote:That game looks scary as hell. :shock:

It is. It just came out today. I spent a few hours with it. :shock: It is the scariest game I have ever played. See my other thread about it...

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=21498
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

The lasers in Star Wars are from hitting guy-wires for something like radio or power towers, then playing with them a bit.
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

Hobie-wan wrote:The lasers in Star Wars are from hitting guy-wires for something like radio or power towers, then playing with them a bit.

You can do a convincing blaster sound by getting a metal slinky, stretching it out and hitting it with a metal rod. Makes a sort of 'pshew' sound. I did foley at uni and enjoyed the hell out of it. I'd love to do that for a living.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Post by D.D.D. »

Foley artists are f'n awesome! I watched a documentary on them about 10 years ago and I was just in awe how they could do that kind of stuff.
I especially love the Star Wars stuff. Guy-wires = laser, dragging a table on linoleum = Chewbacca's voice. Just awesome~
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

Niode wrote:You can do a convincing blaster sound by getting a metal slinky, stretching it out and hitting it with a metal rod. Makes a sort of 'pshew' sound. I did foley at uni and enjoyed the hell out of it. I'd love to do that for a living.

Yup, any decent length stretched out metal cable will make a similar sound. 8)
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

I did foley for a radio house for a time years ago. I still have some of the "equipment" for it. I recently started to rebuild a library of tricks in case I needed them for a production house I am trying to start. The Zoom H4n is an amazing portable sound recorder for any one interested into getting into foley, or sound design in general.

But I have to make a point D.D.D., Chewies roars were a combination of 26ish animals, including a black bear that lived at the nearby zoo.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Hobie-wan wrote:
Niode wrote:You can do a convincing blaster sound by getting a metal slinky, stretching it out and hitting it with a metal rod. Makes a sort of 'pshew' sound. I did foley at uni and enjoyed the hell out of it. I'd love to do that for a living.

Yup, any decent length stretched out metal cable will make a similar sound. 8)

You can also simulate Carrie Fisher's acting in Return of the Jedi by staring at an off white wall.