Sound Design

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Niode
Next-Gen

Re: Sound Design

Post by Niode »

fastbilly1 wrote:I did foley for a radio house for a time years ago. I still have some of the "equipment" for it. I recently started to rebuild a library of tricks in case I needed them for a production house I am trying to start. The Zoom H4n is an amazing portable sound recorder for any one interested into getting into foley, or sound design in general.

But I have to make a point D.D.D., Chewies roars were a combination of 26ish animals, including a black bear that lived at the nearby zoo.

Yes those Zoom recorders are really good for the money. I was surprised at the quality. I've used them a few times on location. Especially combined with one of these beauties: http://www.rodemic.com/microphone.php?product=NTG-2
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

I like the NTG-2 on a boom, but for foley I have always used a heil. Well except when it is dangerous, then a sm58 gets shoved in there.
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

fastbilly1 wrote:I like the NTG-2 on a boom, but for foley I have always used a heil. Well except when it is dangerous, then a sm58 gets shoved in there.

Well I've used the NTG mostly for location recording with a windshield. I wouldn't use it in a studio environment. I'd use something far better for that.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Do tell? I am always up for finding out more about mics.
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

fastbilly1 wrote:Do tell? I am always up for finding out more about mics.

I'd generally use something like a Neumann U87 or an Audio Technica 4050. It all depends on the situation. If I want something nice and warm with nice harmonics then I'll go for the U87, if I want something crisp or even sterile sounding I'll go for the 4050. It's all about situation. I'll use other mics depending on the situation like a Sennheiser 441 or 421 if the sound is nice.