Def Jam Fight for NY

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Reprise
Next-Gen

Def Jam Fight for NY

Post by Reprise »

Hi, I was wondering what some of you can tell me about this game?

Is it any good? I used to be a huge fan of wrestling and fighting games back in the day, and recently I've been enjoying a few of the better ones.

Anyways, I remember the Def Jam fighting games and at the time I completely dismissed them as being utter crap cash-ins without actually finding out about them first to form a decent opinion. I don't know why I did that, but there was so much crap being released back then, and seeing a wrestling game with rap artists... Well tell me that doesn't sound awful? :lol:

Right, to the point of this post though. While searching online for Gamecube games to check out, I stumbled across this franchise again, and was surprised to find that actually it's supposedly fairly good and received some really good reviews from both players and critics. I also found out that it was developed by Aki! I loved WWF No Mercy, it is easily the best wrestling game I've ever played. So as you can imagine, I'm thinking this game might really appeal to me.

Is it any good? What do you think? I'm still a little unsure about it. It's some crazy fighting game with rap artists right? Weird... But it's the gameplay that matters. So please, if you can, offer me your views on it. I'd really appreciate it thanks, because I'm thinking of picking it up. Sometimes I just like a silly light-hearted game.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I really like the WWE Day of Reckoning games, so how does this compare to those?
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
AppleQueso

Re: Def Jam Fight for NY

Post by AppleQueso »

Yup, I believe that game DOES in fact use the same wrestling engine as AKI's n64 games.
Harvey
24-bit

Post by Harvey »

Can't comment on the similarities between the Def Jam series and No Mercy or Day of Reckoning, but I can say that the Def jam games are a ton of fun (I played them on PS2). Everything in the game is over the top, but the brutality of the moves kind of makes the game. The fighting engine is mostly smooth, and the finishing moves are great.

Note that Fight for NY does not utilize a ring (so no off the ropes moves) but the original Def Jam is primarily in a ring. Fight for NY, if my memory serves me correctly, has a more robust create a wrestler mode in which you build your wrestler from scratch and can choose from different styles of fighting (wrestling, martial arts, submission, etc). I sunk a lot of hours into both of these games and recommend them wholeheartedly to you.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

all i know is i wish AKI makes another WWE (or even TNA) wrestling game. i have more fun with their wrestling engine and creation than today's series..
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

@sevin0seven I completely agree man, WWF No Mercy is better than any wrestling game I've ever played. That's for sure. The only thing I can think of that comes close is Power Pro Wrestling D on the Dreamcast.

@Harvey Thank you for the insightful information. The Def Jam games sound like a barrel of laughs and would be great fun multiplayer. I also had no idea that Fight For NY doesn't have fights in the ring, but the first one does. I assumed both were fairly similar. The only reason why I'm asking about Fight for NY is that I had read a couple of reviews that said it was a significant improvement over the predecessor.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

eSPy
64-bit

Post by eSPy »

i played the first def jam and it was pretty great. good character customization and you can really customize your fight style (i went with drunken boxing :P)
Atari 2600 Jr., NES, Gameboy, Genesis 1 and 2, Saturn, Virtual Boy, Gameboy Advance (with Supercard SD), Playstation (With Goldfinger), Nintendo 64, Playstation 2(modded), Nintendo DS (Fat) with Edge
Harvey
24-bit

Post by Harvey »

Reprise wrote:@sevin0seven I completely agree man, WWF No Mercy is better than any wrestling game I've ever played. That's for sure. The only thing I can think of that comes close is Power Pro Wrestling D on the Dreamcast.

@Harvey Thank you for the insightful information. The Def Jam games sound like a barrel of laughs and would be great fun multiplayer. I also had no idea that Fight For NY doesn't have fights in the ring, but the first one does. I assumed both were fairly similar. The only reason why I'm asking about Fight for NY is that I had read a couple of reviews that said it was a significant improvement over the predecessor.

Yeah Fight for NY was a huge improvement in the character customization department. I also think it had more varied moves and a better story. Really the only advantage of the first (in my opinion) is the ring. And it had DMX, who had sweet moves. Let me know how you like it if you decide to get it.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

I probably would have bought it already, but the company I was going to buy it from have fucked me about and I'm not purchasing anything else from their online store until they sort it out. It seems to go for a lot more than I would want to pay on sites like Ebay etc. I was going to buy it from a UK shop called CEX, on their online store, but then I noticed they had a copy of Paper Mario 2 on the GC for £18, which is a bargain. So I bought that, but it's been nearly a week and it's not being dispatched (they promise 24hour dispatch too).... So I've emailed them, and they have yet to get back to me. Wankers :x

Razzmatazz
64-bit

Post by Razzmatazz »

Vendetta and Fight For NY were awesome wrestling games, out of the two Fight For NY was better as it had a great create a wrestler/rapper and single player campaign. I remember you could use the crowd as a weapon too. I need to pick this game up again!
Currently playing Splinter Cell: Blacklist

Check out my album reviews at the home of rap reviews, http://www.rapreviews.com (NEW SITE COMING 2015)