Conker: N64 vs Xbox

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

Re: Conker: N64 vs Xbox

Post by YoshiEgg25 »

Reprise wrote:$200 though? Damn... Had no idea it was that expensive now :?

It's not, it's €200 in Sweden (which is $257.48); because it was never released there, it's rarer. Here in the U.S., it's $30-$40.
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
I Feel Asleep!!
64-bit

Post by I Feel Asleep!! »

I absolutely love Conker. N64 Conker looks way better (XBOX Conker is a tad too...well, furry for me), too. Yeah the Xbox single player version of the game looks amazing. But what makes me choose the n64 version over the xbox version anyday is the multiplayer. I don't play Conker for multiplayer I could get out of a Halo game or something. I play Conker's multiplayer for chainsaw, rocket launcher, and katana blade action with raptors, cavemen, and zombies, etc. Now that's good fun. The xbox took an already amazingly fun and unique game and spat it back out with amazing graphics (yay, though I still prefer the charm of the N64 graphics) and uninspired multiplayer (yawn). I wish they at LEAST kept the original multiplayer action as an option in the xbox version.
HellHammer
64-bit

Post by HellHammer »

I've got both versions and I've played through both.

N64 version is what it is, because Conker is your average 64-era 3D platformer, with a strong, comedic 'adult' twist.

The Xbox version almost entirely removes this aspect of the game, leaving it simply as 'your average 64-era 3D platformer' on a last gen system.
GigaPepsiMan
64-bit

Post by GigaPepsiMan »

I like both versions of the game but I prefer the xbox version but only because the shooting sections are much easier to do. I couldn't get past the zombies in the N64 version. Besides that the N64 version is more memorable.
yomomma1
128-bit

Post by yomomma1 »

Huh wow. It doesn't matter, either version is fine and they both have their advantages.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Why was Conker so badly censored on the X Box? Was it Microsoft? Did they not think a platformer with a "cuddly" lead character would sell to adults?
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
yomomma1
128-bit

Post by yomomma1 »

Reprise wrote:Why was Conker so badly censored on the X Box? Was it Microsoft? Did they not think a platformer with a "cuddly" lead character would sell to adults?

Oh yeah because it was rated M it was aimed towards children. I am assuming that Microsoft was worried about an AO rating.
Edit: I take that back, it was probably done to prevent people bitching about it on the news.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Because Conker is sooooo bad compared to the likes of GTA and the numerous adult games that already on the Xbox...

Just saying, it really doesn't make much sense to me.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

The irony, Microsoft censoring a game that freakking Nintendo was okay with. Censoring Conker is like saying, "we don't get the whole damn point of the game".

To be completely honest, I don't see why anyone would even consider the Xbox version over the original knowing that it is censored. Like I said in my previous post, I get people who have played the N64 version checking it out due to curiousity, but I certainly wouldn't want my first experience with a game to be with its censored version

And even though the censorship doesn't make the Xbox version an awful game, it's still tearing at the heart of what Conker was all about. Conker was a big, middle finger to the family friendly, kiddie norm that games like Mario and Sonic started. For that reason, having a censored version is the very antithesis of the game's spirit. The Xbox versions's very existence is just....wrong

I'm surprised there is so much talk about Conker's multi-player. That was never what the game was about. The single player is what makes it a memorable game. If you wanted multi-player on the N64, Golden Eye and Perfect Dark were where it's at and I'm sure there are better options on the Xbox as well
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

I actually liked the multiplayer in Conker more than goldeneye and perfect dark to be totally honest with you.

HellHammer wrote:N64 version is what it is, because Conker is your average 64-era 3D platformer, with a strong, comedic 'adult' twist.

I'd hardly call it average. It seemed to play quite a bit differently than most 3D platformers on the n64, at least from my experience.

I've always felt that Conker would be a great game even if it hadn't had the adult humor (though I guarantee it probably would've have achieved its cult status if it didn't have said humor.)