Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
User avatar
Reprise
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3567
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:27 am
Location: Earth

Re: Conker: N64 vs Xbox

by Reprise Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:21 pm

Gamerforlife wrote:The irony, Microsoft censoring a game that freakking Nintendo was okay with. Censoring Conker is like saying, "we don't get the whole damn point of the game".

Exactly. I just don't understand it.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
User avatar
TheyCallMeTheSwede
128-bit
 
Posts: 726
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: New Hartford, CT, USA

Re: Conker: N64 vs Xbox

by TheyCallMeTheSwede Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:11 pm

I hate to be a fly in a soup here, but I think Conker is overrated.
Top 101 Favorite Games of All Time

CURRENTLY OWNED: NES, SNES, GC, GB, GBA:SP, GEN, SAT, DC, PS2, PS3, PSP, X360, NGPC, Neo-Geo AES, PCE Duo, PS4, PSX, oXbox

$ALE: NOTTING!!! ABSORUTRY NOTTING!!!!!!

WANTED: CDX, 3DO, Amiga 32CD, Master System, Wii

Xbox Live: AHTNF
PSN: CallMeTheSwede


Be a pal, Check out my Photography
http://callmetheswede.deviantart.com
User avatar
Rocketman
24-bit
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:00 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Conker: N64 vs Xbox

by Rocketman Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:00 am

Yeah, I played both. I was disappointed with the XBOX version because they killed the great multiplayer. (It was the main reason I bought the XBOX version in the first place). The single player is still great though, and the few minor changes in the story aren't all that bad.

But if you're going to get one or the other, the N64 version is a million times better because of it's multiplayer.

I feel like beating up some dinosaurs with a bonebat now... *sigh*
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
User avatar
D.D.D.
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3326
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:33 am
Location: of the Estrecho de Gibraltar is where now?

Re: Conker: N64 vs Xbox

by D.D.D. Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:55 am

Rocketman wrote:Yeah, I played both. I was disappointed with the XBOX version because they killed the great multiplayer. (It was the main reason I bought the XBOX version in the first place). The single player is still great though, and the few minor changes in the story aren't all that bad.

But if you're going to get one or the other, the N64 version is a million times better because of it's multiplayer.

I feel like beating up some dinosaurs with a bonebat now... *sigh*


So if I didn't want to play multi, would you say over all you would like the Xbox version better or does the N64 version still come out on top for you?
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
User avatar
Niode
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7835
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: Conker: N64 vs Xbox

by Niode Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:11 am

If you can afford it, get the N64 version. If not then get the xbox version. The game is essentially the same, the censoring isn't that bad it's more like "FF*beep*king *Shh*beep*t" so you can understand what they are saying. Personally I find the censoring funnier. The non-stop expletives begin to grate in the original, it's just juvenile. However there are a few points where the censoring detracts from dialogue but still, it's not too bad. I enjoyed playing through both. The xbox version is gorgeous to look at and a big step up in that department.

The N64 version just edges the xbox version purely because of it being uncensored but that's really the only thing the N64 version has over the Xbox version. Plus some scenes are remixed in the xbox version and is quite 'meta' about it, like Rare are poking fun at the situation (and to an extent, themselves) with the censoring. You can tell they had a sense of humour about being pushed to censor on, what most would consider, a mature console compared to a 'kiddies' console ie the N64 where it was completely uncensored.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
User avatar
D.D.D.
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3326
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:33 am
Location: of the Estrecho de Gibraltar is where now?

Re: Conker: N64 vs Xbox

by D.D.D. Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:50 am

Niode wrote:If you can afford it, get the N64 version. If not then get the xbox version. The game is essentially the same, the censoring isn't that bad it's more like "FF*beep*king *Shh*beep*t" so you can understand what they are saying. Personally I find the censoring funnier. The non-stop expletives begin to great in the original, it's just juvenile. However there are a few points where the censoring detracts from dialogue but still, it's not too bad. I enjoyed playing through both. The xbox version is gorgeous to look at and a big step up in that department.


It sounds kinda like Family Guy on broadcast versus uncensored DVD. When I see it on TV, it's a bit unexpected and a little funnier; when it's DVD, it almost feels out of character.

Niode wrote:The N64 version just edges the xbox version purely because of it being uncensored but that's really the only thing the N64 version has over the Xbox version. Plus some scenes are remixed in the xbox version and is quite 'meta' about it, like Rare are poking fun at the situation (and to an extent, themselves) with the censoring. You can tell they had a sense of humour about being pushed to censor on, what most would consider, a mature console compared to a 'kiddies' console ie the N64 where it was completely uncensored.


So updated gfx, censoring, and lack of multiplayer is what it comes down to. I think after reading what everyone said, I'll get the Xbox version because: nicer GFX is nice, the censoring won't bother me, neither will multiplayer, and I won't have to worry about the battery going someday.
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
User avatar
Niode
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7835
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: Conker: N64 vs Xbox

by Niode Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:23 am

D.D.D. wrote:
Niode wrote:If you can afford it, get the N64 version. If not then get the xbox version. The game is essentially the same, the censoring isn't that bad it's more like "FF*beep*king *Shh*beep*t" so you can understand what they are saying. Personally I find the censoring funnier. The non-stop expletives begin to great in the original, it's just juvenile. However there are a few points where the censoring detracts from dialogue but still, it's not too bad. I enjoyed playing through both. The xbox version is gorgeous to look at and a big step up in that department.


It sounds kinda like Family Guy on broadcast versus uncensored DVD. When I see it on TV, it's a bit unexpected and a little funnier; when it's DVD, it almost feels out of character.

Niode wrote:The N64 version just edges the xbox version purely because of it being uncensored but that's really the only thing the N64 version has over the Xbox version. Plus some scenes are remixed in the xbox version and is quite 'meta' about it, like Rare are poking fun at the situation (and to an extent, themselves) with the censoring. You can tell they had a sense of humour about being pushed to censor on, what most would consider, a mature console compared to a 'kiddies' console ie the N64 where it was completely uncensored.


So updated gfx, censoring, and lack of multiplayer is what it comes down to. I think after reading what everyone said, I'll get the Xbox version because: nicer GFX is nice, the censoring won't bother me, neither will multiplayer, and I won't have to worry about the battery going someday.


Well, they both have multiplayer, it's just that Live & Reloaded had online multiplayer. However, that's a moot point now since Xbox Live has been switched off for Original Xbox titles. Yeah, I mean you're not going to have a terrible experience. It's still a great game, controls great. Is easily the best platformer on the xbox. It's just that the N64 version is slightly better than it in the fact that it's a purer experience, you know it wasn't censored to get approval (which seems absolutely absurd when you have something like GTA 3, VC, SA on the same system in their full uncensored glory). Other than that, there's not much noticeable difference really. Plus it's one of the best looking games on the system.

Perhaps they didn't want parents picking up the box and thinking that it having a cute furry squirrel on the front means that it would be suitable for their kids. Who knows?
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
Return to General Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests