Things you wish designers would stop doing?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
mobiusclimber
128-bit

Re: Things you wish designers would stop doing?

Post by mobiusclimber »

To the poster who said they play older games b/c of all the unskippable logos in new games, I can think of several old games that had those as well. Even worse, games like Aerobiz or Inindo have unskippable INTROS before you can get to the menu screen! Yeah an unskippable cutscene is bad, how would you like to watch the SAME ONE every single time you start the game up? XD

One thing that I hate is when developers lock onto a control scheme that's been done before and just use that without trying to innovate at all. It was done w/ the Resident Evil style "tank" control scheme and it's done now with the first person style "strafing" controls, even in games that it doesn't even make sense to have it in. I just want to run around, I don't want to use two sticks just to move my damn character!

The emphasis on action this generation is also pissing me off. I didn't like RE4 because it stopped being a survival horror game and turned into an action game with horror elements (and not even a lot of horror elements). They then did the same damn thing to Silent Hill! Least scary SH game by far was Homecoming... until Shattered Memories came out. Ugh. Even RPGs can't be leisurely anymore. No one wants to do turn-based, it all has to have action (even when it IS turn-based, they still find a way to stick action into it). Some times I just want to relax w/ a game, chill out, not get all twitchy.

Speaking of awful RPGs trends: putting in a ton of new systems you have to learn and that are completely confusing and not ever explained. You only get so many points to use in battle, you have to make your own items, hit the wheel at the right points on the circle, etc etc etc. Used to be a game would have ONE of these, not all twenty of them, and they were easy to understand, not needlessly complicated.
I have a ton of games listed at my store's site: Super Smash Video Games
Ack

Post by Ack »

mobiusclimber wrote:The emphasis on action this generation is also pissing me off. I didn't like RE4 because it stopped being a survival horror game and turned into an action game with horror elements (and not even a lot of horror elements). They then did the same damn thing to Silent Hill! Least scary SH game by far was Homecoming... until Shattered Memories came out. Ugh.

But the problem here is that new fans didn't want to play the game because combat was so clunky. We complain about the shifts in Resident Evil and Silent Hill, yet how often do we go and bitch about the original controls, and how many people here refuse to play the older ones because of this issue?

Honestly, it's a double-edged sword. They either update and piss off the old fan base but possibly bring in new fans, or stay and stagnate, not bringing in new fans and possibly even annoying the old fans for being the same thing over and over again.
Snickerd00dle
Next-Gen

Post by Snickerd00dle »

Achievements and Trophies I could do without, those aren't really part of the game itself though

and product placement is pretty bullshit

i don't mind games with swimming levels, what I hate more is games where you die if you fall in water! what the fuck, most characters you play as in video games can get the shit beat out of them, but if you touch water, you're dead. Its stupid and I hate it
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

Ack wrote:Honestly, it's a double-edged sword. They either update and piss off the old fan base but possibly bring in new fans, or stay and stagnate, not bringing in new fans and possibly even annoying the old fans for being the same thing over and over again.

Then you get people like me who think that both control schemes are shit. ;)
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Post by Jrecee »

Ack wrote:Honestly, it's a double-edged sword.

http://louisck.com/cinemaclassics.mpg
mobiusclimber
128-bit

Post by mobiusclimber »

Ack wrote:But the problem here is that new fans didn't want to play the game because combat was so clunky. We complain about the shifts in Resident Evil and Silent Hill, yet how often do we go and bitch about the original controls, and how many people here refuse to play the older ones because of this issue?

Honestly, it's a double-edged sword. They either update and piss off the old fan base but possibly bring in new fans, or stay and stagnate, not bringing in new fans and possibly even annoying the old fans for being the same thing over and over again.

I think both Resident Evil and Silent Hill ended up perfecting the "tank" style control scheme. Yes, the first titles were clunky, but they got better. Play RE3 or SH2 (improved upon further in SH3). I'm not even sure the real problem w/ RE4 is the new controls so much as wave upon wave of enemies that drop ammo and health items. Playing the game in the dark only makes the screen easier to see; it doesn't make it scarier. That's really my problem w/ it.
slowslow325
Next-Gen

Post by slowslow325 »

Developers should try to change control schemes to fit the game, like he said. Super Mario 64 with strafe controls probably isn't going to be too good. But what's better is a default control scheme, then customizable options.

On a related note, am I the only one that HATES using two analog sticks to control a character? First, I don't like using one joystick to move forward and strafe and the other to turn, but most allow you to change this. But the thing I really hate is when I press the right joystick to strafe, I always end up looking down in the process. It doesn't help that the 360's joystick is a lot lower than the left one and Sony's joysticks are positioned poorly. It makes things worse that the plastic around the joystick is smooth and round and not edged out.
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

mobiusclimber wrote: I'm not even sure the real problem w/ RE4 is the new controls...

While RE 4 has a new style of gameplay (i.e. over-the-shoulder view, more action,etc.) it still retains the classic tank controls.

mobiusclimber wrote:...so much as wave upon wave of enemies that drop ammo and health items.

Times are changing. I wish the genre would go back to its roots but that probably won't happen. :(

mobiusclimber wrote: The emphasis on action this generation is also pissing me off. I didn't like RE4 because it stopped being a survival horror game and turned into an action game with horror elements (and not even a lot of horror elements). They then did the same damn thing to Silent Hill! Least scary SH game by far was Homecoming... until Shattered Memories came out.

I think you missed the point of Shattered Memories. It had an emphasis on no action. While the scare-factor is lowered significantly in some parts, you are still helpless to enemies that are constantly chasing you.
mobiusclimber
128-bit

Post by mobiusclimber »

Opa Opa wrote:I think you missed the point of Shattered Memories. It had an emphasis on no action. While the scare-factor is lowered significantly in some parts, you are still helpless to enemies that are constantly chasing you.

You're right about that, I was just thinking of how un-scary the game was. It feels like an action game tho, even tho all you do is run for the most part. The segregation of the exploration and "action" sequences too really made the game feel disjointed and robbed it of any tension it might have had. Can't say that that game is a good example of any trend I've seen in gaming tho. LOL
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

slowslow325 wrote:
Jrecee wrote:Respawning enemies. They're annoying in megaman games, and they downright ruined the super star wars games.

Respawning enemies aren't always bad, just don't make it annoying. Like in Mega Man, if you just move slightly to the left to get a powerup after you spent time killing a difficult to reach enemy to the right, then coming back to see it's there again. But I think it's fine in Metroid and Metroid Prime.

One thing I've always disliked about respawning enemies is that it takes the joy out of the kill. I love games where you can backtrack through a level and see the bodies of the enemies you've slain. It's an awesome feeling to see the death and destruction you've left in your wake. Mwuhahahahah!!!!

I also hated the respawn system in Bioshock, because you'd be trying to explore an area and kept getting interrupted by some stupid splicer you've already killed three damn times. Respawning in a BIG no no in my book. I don't even approve of them in the Mega Man games. If you're low on health, tough luck. You'll just have to make it to the next health up that's in the level. Respawning enemies just gives you a cheap way to get your health back, encouraging you to keep playing like shit instead of learning how to avoid taking damage
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.