Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
neilencio
64-bit

Re: Things you wish designers would stop doing?

by neilencio Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:18 pm

1. Unskippable Tutorials. Especially for simple games like platformers or beat em ups. There's only four buttons damnit, I can glean which one makes the character jump and which one makes him punch within 5 seconds. Even in RPGs, unskippable tutorials make replays a chore.

2. Tedious and mandatory backtracking. Not all backtracking makes me squirm. There are some games that make the concept work, like you visit the same area and it has changed somehow, or you revisit the area in a different dimension/time. If there's backtracking involved, it should be at least optional. There are stages/maps that get kind of boring if you have to revisit them within the same playthrough.

3. Hundreds of Developer/Company logos that you can't skip. Not really part of the game, but still...I hate these things. One of the biggest offenders of this is the Bandai and Tomy games, where everytime you boot the game you have to sit through logos from Bandai, Tomy, Okraton, Crisoft, Viz, etc. before you even get to the Press Start screen. I understand the need for promotion/marketing, but isn't this unnecessary? I doubt a player will see the logo and think "Oh shit, I gotta get a game made by Bandai!". Viewing these logos should be at least optional for people who are not looking for them.
Visit my wife's blog: Pinay Geek
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:37 pm

neilencio wrote:
3. Hundreds of Developer/Company logos that you can't skip. Not really part of the game, but still...I hate these things. One of the biggest offenders of this is the Bandai and Tomy games, where everytime you boot the game you have to sit through logos from Bandai, Tomy, Okraton, Crisoft, Viz, etc. before you even get to the Press Start screen. I understand the need for promotion/marketing, but isn't this unnecessary? I doubt a player will see the logo and think "Oh shit, I gotta get a game made by Bandai!". Viewing these logos should be at least optional for people who are not looking for them.

That is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. Damnit if I can skip the trailers on a DVD and skip straight to the menu, I want a similar option to go straight to the title screen in a video game. Games today are too slow to get you to the gameplay. All those logos before the title screen, load screens, unskippable cutscenes, it's all very infuriating and is one of the reason I still like to play older video games that generally gave you more "instant gratification"
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

by D.D.D. Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:08 pm

neilencio wrote:1. Unskippable Tutorials. Especially for simple games like platformers or beat em ups. There's only four buttons damnit, I can glean which one makes the character jump and which one makes him punch within 5 seconds. Even in RPGs, unskippable tutorials make replays a chore.

1. I don't mind if you gotta do it the first time you play, as I never read manuals. But yeah, it should be skip-able even if it's not the first time you're playing (like what if you erased your game save or took it to a friend's house).

3. I friggin hate this too... I get that developers want credit but c'mon, lemme play the damn game.

Oh, and non-skip-able end credits... These days sometimes and end roll takes 10 minutes plus like movie credits.
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
slowslow325
Next-Gen

by slowslow325 Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:15 pm

The default to "Yes or No" should be good based on where it is. I can't say always yes or always no, because sometimes it changes.

Like, if you watch a long tutorial and the option is "Do you want to view this again" It should default to "No" because I am trying to hit A to skip the tutorial, then, in what looks like a punishment, I am forced to watch it again.
EvilRyu2099
Next-Gen

by EvilRyu2099 Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:18 pm

Being able to mute voice chat when you're playing online.. I know that only pertains to particular genre's but it's annoying... I would rather just listen to shoutcast while playing online then to hear someone bitch about the other team.. One of the reason I kept playing WoW for so long was the fact that I could stream online music while still playing the game and it was very chill.. You really don't have these options on online console games, they either limit your custom music or streaming, or they force voice chat down your throat..
PSN: GoTigers9999
Live: Iori8000
Nintendo:Iori9999 3DS Friend Code: 4012-3366-0941
My Twitch stream channel!
Opa Opa

by Opa Opa Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:09 pm

AppleQueso wrote:
Para wrote:Preorder bonuses. Collectors editions.

this has nothing to do with game design

I agree. Preorder bonuses and collectors edition games have nothing to do with game design. I think that falls into the packaging department and it also adds incentive to buy and/or preorder a game.

And I like some of the preorder bonuses. I thought it was awesome to get the soundtrack to Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and a classic controller pro with Monster Hunter 3.
slowslow325
Next-Gen

by slowslow325 Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:25 pm

Opa Opa wrote:And I like some of the preorder bonuses. I thought it was awesome to get the soundtrack to Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and a classic controller pro with Monster Hunter 3.

Preorder bonuses like that are certainly fine, but when it comes to preorder bonuses that are digital only and there's no way to get them elsewhere, that's a problem.
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

by D.D.D. Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:03 am

slowslow325 wrote:The default to "Yes or No" should be good based on where it is. I can't say always yes or always no, because sometimes it changes.

Like, if you watch a long tutorial and the option is "Do you want to view this again" It should default to "No" because I am trying to hit A to skip the tutorial, then, in what looks like a punishment, I am forced to watch it again.

Or maybe just be a little more slow and not mash the button so you accidentally gotta do it again. :wink:
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
Limewater
Next-Gen

by Limewater Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:35 am

Put me down as another person who hates quick-time events. I'm not dyslexic, but I think I have minor tendencies in that direction. I don't really assign symbolic values to my controller buttons very well. I know which buttons do what in which games, but if you place an unlabeled controller from a system I know well in front of me, it'll take me a little bit of thinking to figure out which button is 'A' or 'B' or Circle or whatever is appropriate for the controller.

Right now I'm playing God of War II, and the bottom button is jump, dammit! Then, suddenly, they change gameplay on me and I have to hit 'X' real quick. I almost always end up hitting square the first time. Bastards.

I also agree on the rapid button mashing game mechanic. On occasion it makes sense, but it seems to be way overused in the God of War games. Kratos takes just as long to pull a lever as he does to open a door, yet one requires rapid button mashing and one doesn't.

QTE's were also the worst thing about the Shenmue games, imo. I really enjoyed those games, but got really pissed off when I'd have to sit through a long, unskippable cutscene again and replay a fight AGAIN just because I failed a QTE they surprise you with at the end of the fight. That was a bunch of crap. I ended up cheating and using a walkthrough on a couple of those just so that I wouldn't have to sit through the five minute cutscene ten more times to know all of the upcoming button sequences.

I would find QTE's much more tolerable if they were accompanied by some sort of representation of where, spatially, on the controller they want me to hit.

This isn't actually game design, but another thing that bothers me is that, in some games, you'll see a menu at some point with only two options (usually yes and no). The text for one of the choices will be one color, the other will be another color. Pressing any direction cycles between the two choices, but I don't know which darn color is the one you use to select which option. Great, so "Yes" is purple and "No" is orange. Which one will be selected when I press start? Grrr.... It is much better to have some obvious extra visual cue as to which option is considered to be highlighted.

Another thing I hate in game design is when they present you with a challenge that involves all three dimensions at once. I know that 3D platforming has become the norm, but we're still only seeing the screen as projected onto a 2D screen. I do not think it is fair to force the players to deal with all three dimensions at once when we can't really see all three dimensions. Some examples of this:

Conker's Bad Fur Day: The hallway with all of the lasers. The laser beams are just red lines. How the heck am I supposed to completely localize them in three dimensions to avoid them? That was by far the most frustrating (and un-fun) portion of that game for me.

Super Mario 64: The Bowser levels tended to include sections where the camera was uncooperative and you had to quickly jump from platforms onto poles hanging in the air. There were not enough visual cues for me to accurately judge dept well enough to make these jumps without a lot of frustration and annoyance.

Someone also previously mentioned unpausable cutscenes. This really bugs me, too. I'll be in a cutscene and then someone will walk in and start talking to me. I then won't be able to pause the cutscene, I know I won't be able to replay it later, and I'm missing out on game content and possibly vital clues. So I end up being kind of rude to the person talking to me, and I hate that.
Systems: TI-99/4a, NES, SMS, GB, SNES, 3DO, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN
futuramaguy42
32-bit

by futuramaguy42 Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:42 am

neilencio wrote:3. Hundreds of Developer/Company logos that you can't skip. Not really part of the game, but still...I hate these things. One of the biggest offenders of this is the Bandai and Tomy games, where everytime you boot the game you have to sit through logos from Bandai, Tomy, Okraton, Crisoft, Viz, etc. before you even get to the Press Start screen. I understand the need for promotion/marketing, but isn't this unnecessary? I doubt a player will see the logo and think "Oh shit, I gotta get a game made by Bandai!". Viewing these logos should be at least optional for people who are not looking for them.

I hate this so much. And, while I don't think it's an amazing game, I really like that you can skip right to the main menu in Modern Warfare 2. It's just unnecessary to sit through those logos every time you play.

Also, unskippable cutscenes are terrible, most games stories and voice acting aren't very good, so don't force me to watch them.

Also, most quick time events, though I didn't mind them in the Vanquish demo.
I also hate non-boss enemies that take a long time to kill. Resistance 2 was fun at first but after a certain point, every 5 minutes you would fight huge creatures that took like 500 hit to kill.
Return to General Gaming