Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Things you wish designers would stop doing?

by Gamerforlife Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:10 pm

There was a topic recently about what makes a well designed level. What are certain things game designers frequently do that annoy the hell out of you? Here's a few things I USUALLY hate. I say usually, because there are exceptions to everything in life

1. Pointless button mashing - Is it really necessary to mash a button for some menial task like opening a door or removing a grate from a wall? I HATE buttin mashing in my games. Frankly, I think it just looks stupid to anyone watching you play the game and I also worry how quickly some gamers will be able to mash a button with their fingers as they get on in years

2. Pointless swimming levels - Some games do this well like a few of the Tomb Raider Raider games where you can marvel at the sight of lost underwater ruins or wet yourself when a great white shark comes your way, but then you have stupid crap like the water levels in modern Ninja Gaiden games and the majority of video games in the industry that try and pull this off. In most games, water levels just amount to crap controls and a generally boring level that takes players away from the kind of gameplay they bought the game for

3. Letting you keep your experience when you die - I don't typically approve of this, because it doesn't feel earned. If a player dies, they should lose their experience, items gained, etc. If the game is exceptionally hard though, then I might let it slide, but then you have to wonder if that particualar game is too hard for its own good

4. Pointless time limits - If I need to get to a certain place within a certain amount of time, you damn sure better give me a believable reason why

I could think of other stuff, but what annoys you guys?
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
MrEco
Next-Gen

Re: Things you wish designers would stop doing?

by MrEco Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:27 pm

I like quick time events usually but the one for "rapidly press X" and "turn stick around" are really annoying.

Also whenever the game tells me to do something but gives no clue whatsoever as to what I have to do to accomplish the task let alone tell me where to go to do this I get really pissed (Legend of Zelda :evil: ).
I feel old when talking to anyone my age yet too inexperienced to effectively talk to anyone older. Life is grand that way.

My twitter handle is @EckoExplores
ujnhunter
64-bit

by ujnhunter Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:11 pm

Games that don't allow you to pause or skip cut scenes. Or games that don't let you skip text boxes, I usually read a lot faster than the silly little letters are moving and get annoyed that I have to sit there while they scroll out for no reason. It's the easiest thing to implement, just DO IT!
Josh
64-bit

by Josh Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:45 pm

I agree with the pausing cutscenes. My parents always want to me to do random favors for them when I'm playing a video game. The video game equivalent of Tivo helps. A lot.
Collects promo gaming stuff, certain import games, hockey memorabilia, and other oddball things. (sig and avy under construction)
Mendoza
128-bit

by Mendoza Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:10 pm

QTE: They need to stop. Resident Evil 5 burned me out on them for good.

I cant take another "press X to not die" moment.
Jrecee
Next-Gen

by Jrecee Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:11 pm

Unskippable custscenes.

Invisible walls.

Making first person shooters.
slowslow325
Next-Gen

by slowslow325 Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:30 pm

Jrecee wrote:Making first person shooters.

Agreed!
Para
128-bit

by Para Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:29 pm

Preorder bonuses. Collectors editions.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:33 pm

Para wrote:Preorder bonuses. Collectors editions.

this has nothing to do with game design
Para
128-bit

by Para Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:10 pm

Well preorder bonuses does.
Return to General Gaming