Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RCBH928
Next-Gen

My thoughts on next generation gaming

by RCBH928 Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:46 pm

Hello,

I just looked up 360 on wikipedia, and found out that the next generation consoles are
expected to be out in 2015, and the 360 is a 2005 console. That time difference, is about the same time difference between Sega genesis and Playstation 2(Xbox, and Gamecube) . You see
how big of a difference that is? Its A LOT of time. I don't know if the technology jump is going to be as huge as it was between 1990->2000, but....

I am pretty sure that in the next generation they will be think that we will make graphics BETTER and games BIGGER!
I think next generation should be different.

I no longer want games to be MORE real, they are too real already. I get a feeling that they will step over the line that differentiates "graphics" from "reality".
I think a huge part of the success to the retro consoles was the "its a game" graphics. The simple color schemes, cartoonish levels made it a fun thing.

Current games are too real with a lot of stuff in them from roads to buildings to characters physical looks. Is more real = better games?

The other thing is that I think that with bluray and cheaper storage, games will be too huge. Its too big already. Have you played Red Dread Redemption or GTA4 or Oblivion? Those games are HUGE, i lose my concentration on such big worlds , there is simply TOO MUCH. A friend of mine liked RDR but he couldn't play it. He said it was too big for me to concentrate, I could do anything! It distracted him from the main missions.

My thoughts on the next generation consoles is that technology should be used in:

-Making consoles a full home entertainment devices. I think they should be the only thing you need to attach to your TV. It should play games, videos, movies, and yes even cable TV and record it just like tivo. There is no reason to hookup multiple devices where 1 device can do all of this.

-Hardware+software should be solid. We don't want it to crash. YLOD, RROD, should not happen. Loud spinning discs and fans should be a thing of the past. It will be 2015, not 1993.

-Advanced technology should be put to be bale to play(or emulate) earlier games. If we are so advanced technology wise, why can't we transfer Dreamcast's library to ps3 or xbox? even original xbox , psx, and all the earlier games. I think this is more important than making BIGGER and BETTER games.

-Online gaming should not be a hassle any more. It might be a subscription based service, but all options should work with out hiccups. Voice calling, adding a friend's list, video conferencing , sharing files and more.

-Future games should concentrate about creating a better environment than just bigger worlds. I always wanted to complete a mission my way, for example, if I was locked in a room I want to use anything in that room to make me able to break out. Burn the door, break the window, pick the lock, or scream for help, my decision. But developers concentrate on making the same thing just bigger and better in graphics.

This is how I view the next generation consoles, not bigger and better games concentrated, but into making the devices a more of a home entertainment thing. A lot of what I have said has been achieved already in 1 way or another, and the next step is to perfect it.

I sure would like to see how next generation gaming is going to be, but in all honesty, what kind of a game that will making me go "OH WOW! Red Dead Redemption is a piece of crap compared to this!" You probably can say the same comparing n64 gaming to ps2, or nes to n64, but I don't think its going to happen anymore.
slowslow325
Next-Gen

Re: My thoughts on next generation gaming

by slowslow325 Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:21 am

I always picture in my head Sony and Microsoft as straight lines. The next system they make seems to take the obvious choices, better graphics and more powerful hardware. If you think of innovations the 360 or PS3 made, what would you list? HD Graphics, More Powerful Hardware, Blu ray. I don't even consider those innovations. I just see that as the "next step".

Nintendo, on the other hand, I picture as a line with veers and zig zags. They don't just go straight, they try new things, and try their hardest NOT to go straight. DPad, Shoulder Buttons, Touch Screen, Microphone, Camera, Motion Control, 3D without glasses (yes, I know that's graphics, but that's not the "next step" in graphics"). That's where innovation comes from.

About the games getting bigger and bigger. That's obvious. It's going to happen. In order to fit in better gameplay, better graphics, better controls, better everything, you're going to need more space. The problem is, if the rate expands too much, developers realize they have extra space and stop being clever about it. The games start to become mediocre because the developers don't have limitations.

Limitations are a good thing.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated, creativity is making the complicated simple." - Charlie Mingus
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:30 am

kingmohd84 wrote:-Making consoles a full home entertainment devices. I think they should be the only thing you need to attach to your TV. It should play games, videos, movies, and yes even cable TV and record it just like tivo. There is no reason to hookup multiple devices where 1 device can do all of this.

We're pretty much there right now.

-Advanced technology should be put to be bale to play(or emulate) earlier games. If we are so advanced technology wise, why can't we transfer Dreamcast's library to ps3 or xbox? even original xbox , psx, and all the earlier games. I think this is more important than making BIGGER and BETTER games.

Legal issues are a big reason why this isn't happening.

-Future games should concentrate about creating a better environment than just bigger worlds. I always wanted to complete a mission my way, for example, if I was locked in a room I want to use anything in that room to make me able to break out. Burn the door, break the window, pick the lock, or scream for help, my decision. But developers concentrate on making the same thing just bigger and better in graphics.

I remember reading that we actually have the power now to do things like this, it all boils down to effort, really.
slowslow325
Next-Gen

by slowslow325 Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:36 am

AppleQueso wrote:

I remember reading that we actually have the power now to do things like this, it all boils down to effort, really.

Homebrew emulators, plus I bet Sega could strike a deal with one of the existing companies.

Effort is kinda what he's saying. Developers really need to stop making bigger, and start making better.
Xonticus
128-bit

by Xonticus Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:38 am

Ever since I played my first Virtual Reality game back in 95 down in Disney World, I've always seen the future of gaming to be VR based somehow. It worked so well, was so immersive too.

I still believe that VR is a viable possibility, but it might be tough to sell since the new hot items are 3D and Augmented reality via Move and Kinect... or are these simply steps in the direction leading us to the realization of in-home VR?
Got: Atari 2600, Atari 7800Pro, Commodore 64, Odyssey 2, Sega Master System, NES, Genesis Models 1-3, Nomad, Game Gear, Sega CD Model 1, Sega 32x, SuperNES, GameBoys, GameBoy Pocket, GBC, Sega Saturn Model 2, GBA, Nintendo 64, Playstation, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 2 Slim, Nintendo DS Lite, Xbox 360, Gamecube, PS3 Slim
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:48 am

slowslow325 wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:

Homebrew emulators, plus I bet Sega could strike a deal with one of the existing companies.

Effort is kinda what he's saying. Developers really need to stop making bigger, and start making better.

1. The issue is licensing the various games. You'll never see a full console library on another system legally. It's the reason why, say, Banjo Kazooie isn't on wii virtual console.

2. True, but I'm just saying that it's something we should be seeing THIS gen because it's entirely possible. Of course, that's getting into a whole other discussion.
slowslow325
Next-Gen

by slowslow325 Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:59 am

Xonticus wrote:Ever since I played my first Virtual Reality game back in 95 down in Disney World, I've always seen the future of gaming to be VR based somehow. It worked so well, was so immersive too.

I still believe that VR is a viable possibility, but it might be tough to sell since the new hot items are 3D and Augmented reality via Move and Kinect... or are these simply steps in the direction leading us to the realization of in-home VR?

I see the Wii as a step to VR. There's no way I could ever expect VR to just be thrown at us in one console generation.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

by Pulsar_t Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:41 am

'Nextgen' is almost six years old now :lol:

Xonticus wrote:I still believe that VR is a viable possibility, but it might be tough to sell since the new hot items are 3D and Augmented reality via Move and Kinect... or are these simply steps in the direction leading us to the realization of in-home VR?

The way I view it, unless the economy goes into true meltdown: 3D->Holographic->VR. What's this talk of augmented reality btw? Webcams have been mainstream technology for well over a decade :lol:
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
Xonticus
128-bit

by Xonticus Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:26 am

Pulsar_t wrote:'Nextgen' is almost six years old now :lol:

The way I view it, unless the economy goes into true meltdown: 3D->Holographic->VR. What's this talk of augmented reality btw? Webcams have been mainstream technology for well over a decade :lol:

More in the sense of in-living room augmented reality, like you hold up the Move controller and on the screen you see a lightsaber in your hand. Of course the tech has been out there and in use for a while, but not as a mainstream consumer product for the masses.
Got: Atari 2600, Atari 7800Pro, Commodore 64, Odyssey 2, Sega Master System, NES, Genesis Models 1-3, Nomad, Game Gear, Sega CD Model 1, Sega 32x, SuperNES, GameBoys, GameBoy Pocket, GBC, Sega Saturn Model 2, GBA, Nintendo 64, Playstation, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 2 Slim, Nintendo DS Lite, Xbox 360, Gamecube, PS3 Slim
Lord_Santa
128-bit

by Lord_Santa Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:44 am

I'd love to see someone take on the consoles, by creating a strict 2D console

shouldn't be too much of an effort, if you ask me

and it'd be hell of a lot cheaper than anything Microsoft or Sony throws at us

one can always dream, no?
C-64 will never die
- only the players
Return to General Gaming