iPod Touch Becomes #1 Portable Gaming Device in the World

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Re: iPod Touch Becomes #1 Portable Gaming Device in the World

Post by ZeroAX »

A) iphone games will mostly be crap clones of everything we have already seen on flash/DS/indie game scene. There are a few gems here and there, but comparing the gems of the iphone to the gems on the DS, is like comparing the gems on PS3 and 360 with the 3rd party gems on the Wii.

B) By stevees logic over here, every Nokia phone came with Snake. Nokia has sold way more than 200 million phones. So the best selling video game of all time is really Snake.

anyway corporate PR bullshit we know the drill. If only apple fanboys wouldn't use this to say that the DS ain't worth anything as a gaming device. Some idiot tried to convince me that the iphone version of Chinatown Wars is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
christoph
Next-Gen

Re: iPod Touch Becomes #1 Portable Gaming Device in the Worl

Post by christoph »

Last edited by christoph on Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

christoph wrote:Yeah, I don't doubt there is a massive amount of crap, especially all the ports and redos, but there is massive potential for unique and innovate touch games to be developed by big time companies.

True. But with the low prices, is it worth the effort for big time companies? Besides the DS already has a touch screen. And buttons. A lot of the games I see on iphone remind me of minigames from Super Mario 64DS and New Super Mario Bros.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
jp1
Next-Gen

Post by jp1 »

The Iphone/Touch has some really fun games. Anyone who says otherwise either hasn't tried it or has a hate for all things apple. There are even more great games coming and they are cheaper than the games found nearly everywhere else.

I also love the fact that it is really portable. The DS and PSP are reaching the limits of what I'm willing to carry around. I want something small that can fit in my pocket without looking like I shoplifted.

The fact that it does more things doesn't disqualify it as a gaming device it just makes it an even better one still.

I do miss some tangible controls in some games but then again I love the control scheme in some of them too.

Actually I'm looking to pick up a fifth Ipod touch for my son for his Bday. Any naysayers wanna sell me theirs?
christoph
Next-Gen

Post by christoph »

I think it could be, since the games are such quick access, (instant downloadable content) it would make sense that more would be downloaded. I mean if you look at the amount of iphones/ipod touches out in peoples hands (100 Million) and how many apps each person is probably downloading - there is an obvious market there. Now with the addition of Game Center, a multiplayer connectivity app, it opens even wider.
8bit
Next-Gen

Post by 8bit »

Final fantasy
Vay
Metal gear solid
Madden
Tetris
Grand theft auto
Splinter cell
Rayman
NBA live
Pac man
Galaga
Plants vs zombies
Need for speed
Geometry wars
Command and conquer
Dodonpachi
Super monaskey ball
Sonic
Street fighter iv
Katamari
Ridge racer
Time crisis
Call of duty
Resident evil
Pheonix wright
Silent hill

These are some of the big gaming names available for iOS.... If these publishers are taking the platform seriously.... Maybe so should we. :idea:

P.s this post was made on my iPhone and not my ds or psp :P
Last edited by 8bit on Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

8bit wrote:Final fantasy
Vay
Metal gear solid
Madden
Tetris
Grand theft auto
Splinter cell
Rayman
NBA live
Pac man
Galaga
Plants vs zombies
Need for speed
Geometry wars
Command and conquer
Dodonpachi
Super jokey ball
Sonic
Street fighter iv
Katamari
Ridge racer
Time crisis
Call of duty
Resident evil
Pheonix wright
Silent hill

These are some of the big gaming names available for iOS.... If these publishers are taking the platform seriously.... Maybe so should we. :idea:

I don't own an iphone/pod/thing but I've played a lot of the so-called "big games" on it. Without any actual buttons or control pads/sticks, there isn't any way to play the games as they should be played. Also, I haven't played a game that isn't better on its original system.

Really the games on the iphone/pods are nothing more than a N-Gage-like experiment that probably won't catch on in a major game market...
Last edited by Opa Opa on Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

"Called" this one before. I think eventually the cell phone will take over the portable gaming market. I think the only "On Hold" for cell phone gaming monopoly is real controls of direction pad and fire buttons.

I don't buy iPhone marketing spin, any company owner can wave its own flag. There are tons of portable gaming happening on other brand cells and dedicated portable gaming systems. I also don't get why anyone can get immersed in a huge action adventure game or watch a movie on a tiny portable when it looks so much better in HD. The quick five to ten minute diversion games okay, but a game such as Final fantasy or God of War? Give me the big screen any day!
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I think a lot of people are upset by this because you hate Apple.

Ipod is an mp3 player that plays games, its a bad platform for gaming.

PS3 is a console but plays bluray, its a bad bluray player.

See that doesn't make sense because, if you can do MORE why is it counted as less?

if ipod is an mp3, but can run games just as good as ds or psp, why are you upset by this? Its portable and it plays games.
Some of you will be saying but those are simple games, well I didn't see people talking the same way about tetris for example. Plus I think most people were upset about defining games as "hardcore" and "casual"

I think you are upset for two reasons:

1) Because the ipod does not have physical controls, I understand that, but I think you can add a d-pad and buttons to it?

2) Apple is not a gaming company, it might take the place of your Nintendo as the best portable device. And Nintendo will not be able to beat Apple as #1.

I think we shouldn't be upset about this, life is about change, and thats the way it is. People are still upset that Sega lost the console war, and Microsoft took their place. Although I am one of those people, but this is life!
c0r33
32-bit

Post by c0r33 »

Jrecee wrote:No, the laptop computer is the #1 portable gaming device.

Oh wait, the human hand is the #1 portable gaming device. It plays thumb war.

Just marketing spin. The ipod touch is an mp3 player. Yes it plays games. Yes it plays good games. But it's a multi-functioning device versus a device that only plays games. I could say the holy bible is the best selling doorstop of all time.

So we agree the PSP is not a gaming console more of a machine that does stuff ?
Check out my sale/trade thread Click here