iPod Touch Becomes #1 Portable Gaming Device in the World

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: iPod Touch Becomes #1 Portable Gaming Device in the World

Post by RCBH928 »

as mentioned earlier
I do agree that no buttons is a let down...

but so far I can't find a reason why the ipod touch/iphone can't run games just as good or even better than the ds and psp!?

I know current games are not up to par, but think of the possibilities in the future.

Another point taken in that ipod/iphone hardware is updated yearly, so yeah most of the time
the cutting edge games at any one time won't run on older molds.
msimplay
64-bit

Post by msimplay »

kingmohd84 wrote:as mentioned earlier
I do agree that no buttons is a let down...

but so far I can't find a reason why the ipod touch/iphone can't run games just as good or even better than the ds and psp!?

I know current games are not up to par, but think of the possibilities in the future.

Another point taken in that ipod/iphone hardware is updated yearly, so yeah most of the time
the cutting edge games at any one time won't run on older molds.

The Ipod needs some kind of addon supported by the standard application that will allow for play with a controller.
So far I have seen unofficial addons that work with jailbroken Ipods but nothing official.

This one seems good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AqgIWPnrlc
and this one is not bad also http://icontrolpad.com/
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Thats what I am saying
currently, the ipod is not a better platform for gaming over ds and psp

but if you think of the future possibilities, by adding a d-pad addon and
what games can be created based on the hardware's specs
it looks pretty bright!
msimplay
64-bit

Post by msimplay »

kingmohd84 wrote:Thats what I am saying
currently, the ipod is not a better platform for gaming over ds and psp

but if you think of the future possibilities, by adding a d-pad addon and
what games can be created based on the hardware's specs
it looks pretty bright!

It looks okay Nintendo , Sony and Microsoft are still known as the industry giants that have their own big game franchises.

I can't see anything that you could call a system seller on the Ipod.
The ipod/iphone sells at the moment because its a multi purpose device not because its a games machine not at the moment anyway.

Also the yearly updates to hardware could be a hinder the market it is targeting, It'll be like the PC of handhelds.
Plus Android based devices seem to be going after the exact same market with comparable hardware.

Although one good thing is going to come out of it for consumer is that downloable games and maybe games in general will come down in price because Nintendo / Sony and Microsoft will have to become competitive if Apple does become a major player.

One last thing am not opposed to any games platform if there's a good game I'll play it on whatever format.
slowslow325
Next-Gen

Post by slowslow325 »

Here's another problem. Does Apple design games? I don't know, but I can say that if they do, they're probably just little minigame type games. This means no first party games. I don't know if that's directly a problem, but Nintendo has been in the gaming industry for over 30 years and they know what's fun. If Apple jumps in, they'd still be fairly new. I know there's third party, but still.

If there's only a touchscreen, there's no way it can be up there as a great gaming device. Controls should be kept simple, yes, but if you wanted to sit down and play a FPS for several hours using only a touch screen, you would get a whole bunch of hand cramps.