53%
I don't go to the gym!
42%

Total votes : 36
final fight cd
Next-Gen

Re: Portable Gaming at the Gym

by final fight cd Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:14 pm

FiftyDollarCurse wrote:I'm not an exercise expert or anything, but I would think that if your cardio workout isn't requiring your full attention then you aren't doing it right.

i am pretty sure heart rate and respiratory rate will still increase whether you are thinking about it or not :wink:. actually, it is probably better not to think about it. can you imagine how mentally fatigued and worn out college and pro runners would get logging in 120 mile weeks if they focused on the 'workout' for all those miles?

since you specially said you have a girlfriend i don't see what the big deal is. you can look goofy/nerdy all you want but it isn't like you are trying to impress anybody or wanting to look cool.
if you took a shit, please put it back
Limewater
Next-Gen

by Limewater Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:19 pm

FiftyDollarCurse wrote:I'm not an exercise expert or anything, but I would think that if your cardio workout isn't requiring your full attention then you aren't doing it right.

Many are inclined to agree. I posted something similiar in obnoxious tags in my first post.

However, really, exercise that one could play a video game through is way better than not exercising.
Systems: TI-99/4a, NES, SMS, GB, SNES, 3DO, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN
Limewater
Next-Gen

by Limewater Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:30 pm

final fight cd wrote:i am pretty sure heart rate and respiratory rate will still increase whether you are thinking about it or not :wink:. actually, it is probably better not to think about it. can you imagine how mentally fatigued and worn out college and pro runners would get logging in 120 mile weeks if they focused on the 'workout' for all those miles?

Re: Gym Etiquette-- Practicalities don't always matter in questions of etiquette. Curling on the squat rack is considered rude, even if nobody else is waiting to use it. Of course, you usually can't tell if someone at the gym is waiting to use a piece of equipment. There's no real PRACTICAL reason (that I'm aware of) that calling someone a name is rude/hurtful, either.

Also, while college and pro runners might not be 100% focused on their running the entire time they are running, they are usually (except for warm-up, cool-down, and occasionally LSD runs) focused to the point that they can't do much else except run and speak a little in a labored manner.
Systems: TI-99/4a, NES, SMS, GB, SNES, 3DO, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:15 pm

I'm actually more amazed that more people who have seen this thread actually go to the gym.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
FiftyDollarCurse
128-bit

by FiftyDollarCurse Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:23 pm

final fight cd wrote:since you specially said you have a girlfriend i don't see what the big deal is. you can look goofy/nerdy all you want but it isn't like you are trying to impress anybody or wanting to look cool.

Oh Wow, seriously? It doesn't matter if your have a girlfriend or if you've been married for 60 years with 8 children and 13 grandchildren, you always want to impress people and look cool.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:36 pm

FiftyDollarCurse wrote:
final fight cd wrote:since you specially said you have a girlfriend i don't see what the big deal is. you can look goofy/nerdy all you want but it isn't like you are trying to impress anybody or wanting to look cool.

Oh Wow, seriously? It doesn't matter if your have a girlfriend or if you've been married for 60 years with 8 children and 13 grandchildren, you always want to impress people and look cool.

Speak for yourself.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
jfrost
Next-Gen

by jfrost Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:54 pm

ZeroAX wrote:I'm actually more amazed that more people who have seen this thread actually go to the gym.

We don't expect to find these people in gaming forums, right?
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:59 pm

If you are gaming while working out, you probably aren't doing either very well.

I started the Couch to 5K program a couple of weeks ago and while it is nice to have some music with me on occasion, I couldn't imagine trying to run and play a game. Of course I'm running down a country road, so maybe it would be different on a treadmill.

Nah...I still think it would be impossible to do both simultaneously with any great effect unless you are playing a game designed for working out (e.g. Wii Fit, Dance Dance Revolution, etc.).
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:11 pm

I actually was doing that stupid stepping thing while playing NBA 2K, and because plays wouldn't go as I'd like them, the anger actually made me work out faster without me realising it. But I always lost the game, so I win in life but lose in vg land :lol:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
slowslow325
Next-Gen

by slowslow325 Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:10 pm

Exercise is exercise, whether you're playing a game or not. It's actually better not to focus at all on what you're doing, because you can go longer, and not even know you actually just ran on a treadmill for 2 hours.
Return to General Gaming