53%
I don't go to the gym!
42%

Total votes: 36

hashiriya1
Next-Gen

Portable Gaming at the Gym

Post by hashiriya1 »

At the gym my MP3 player is usually good enough, but on my cardio days my workout gets pretty boring and so can Slayer, Pantera, etc. Sometimes I bring my PSP or DS. I have never seen anyone else at the gym bring a portable gaming system. My girlfriend who goes to the gym with me says "aww, it's so geeky!" I never thought it was "geeky", just something to pass the time while working out. We do totally different workouts, so I can't interact with her.

Anyway, do any of you go the gym with a portable gaming system. Not an iPhone!
slowslow325
Next-Gen

Re: Portable Gaming at the Gym

Post by slowslow325 »

I don't go to the gym, but if I did I probably wouldn't bring a game system. Especially a current one. It would get sweaty! But maybe, I would go out and buy a cheap game boy advance and use it as a "disposable" game console that I don't have to worry about.
jfrost
Next-Gen

Post by jfrost »

I already asked in another thread if I should take a portable system to the gym. No answer.

My only fear would be that the system would get too sweaty and disgusting and could probably have some problem, actually.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

hashiriya1 wrote:At the gym my MP3 player is usually good enough, but on my cardio days my workout gets pretty boring and so can Slayer, Pantera, etc. Sometimes I bring my PSP or DS. I have never seen anyone else at the gym bring a portable gaming system. My girlfriend who goes to the gym with me says "aww, it's so geeky!" I never thought it was "geeky", just something to pass the time while working out. We do totally different workouts, so I can't interact with her.

I'm probably going to sound like one of those obnoxious gym guys by saying this, but I think it's a bad idea, and, depending on what you're doing, bad gym etiquette.

[obnoxious]If you can effectively play a PSP while doing it, you probably aren't working very hard.[/obnoxious]

Using a cell phone in a gym is usually considered bad gym etiquette. I imagine that using a portable gaming system would be considered similarly be viewed negatively.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
s1mplehumar
Next-Gen

Post by s1mplehumar »

I see no point in bringing anything other than a portable music player to the gym. I get in, work hard and get out.

::EDIT:: Also, what Lime said.
Nintendo ID, PSN, XBL: Eronnicus * Steam ID: s1mplehumar * Switch Friend Code: SW-3270-7921-5525
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

the... gym?
Dylan
Next-Gen

Post by Dylan »

I don't even bring a music player to the gym.
pureevil
64-bit

Post by pureevil »

lol playing games while you work out lol,sounds like you need to up you weights and tempo.
GOT,ps2 chiped,,game cube sliver,x box,dream cast,n 64,ps2 slim,ps2 slim,game boy sp X2 tribal and black,game gear,saturn(no tv lead),xbox 360,xbox 360 chipped,snes.master system 1and 2.

HAD BACK IN THE DAY vic 20,sega master system,nes,mega drive,super nes,atari st,amiga 500+,ps1,gameboy advance.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

I don't think I could do my workout and game on a portable at the same time. Too much distraction.

I have always wanted to have gym arcades though, where standard gym equipment is used for gameplay and stats are tracked over time on a memory card you bring with you.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

J T wrote:I don't think I could do my workout and game on a portable at the same time. Too much distraction.

I have always wanted to have gym arcades though, where standard gym equipment is used for gameplay and stats are tracked over time on a memory card you bring with you.

They do have something kind of like that:

http://www.expresso.com/
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii