53%
I don't go to the gym!
42%

Total votes : 36
Limewater
Next-Gen

Re: Portable Gaming at the Gym

by Limewater Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:33 am

slowslow325 wrote:Exercise is exercise, whether you're playing a game or not.

"Exercise is exercise" is a pretty meaningless statement by itself, and is trivially true. However, the idea that I think you are meaning to imply (that all exercise is equal) is qualitatively and quantitatively false. There is a reason that the field of kinesiology exists.

It's actually better not to focus at all on what you're doing, because you can go longer, and not even know you actually just ran on a treadmill for 2 hours.

This depends greatly on what your goals are. If your goal is to just stay on a treadmill for two hours, then sure, don't focus at all on what you're doing. You'll probably have to set the speed to about two miles per hour, though. In the same amount of time, if you focus just a little bit on running and push yourself just a little, you can easily cover the same distance, burning the same number of calories (if that's your thing), in a little over a quarter of the time.

But really, running on a treadmill is pure misery anyway. Actually running outside, if it is at all possible, is a bajillion times better. I can understand wanting any possible distraction if you're going to be on a treadmill. I've have listened to podcasts when I've been forced to use a treadmill just to get some sort of mental stimulation. I could not maintain my normal level of intensity while playing a video game or trying to read or anything, though.

And actually, treadmills are a little bit friendlier to distraction than most other cardio equipment. At least it forces a pace on you. Where distraction can really screw you up is on all the other equipment that doesn't force a speed on you. Then, when you get distracted, you just start lolly-gagging and your output drops severely.

I should probably clarify again: One can be really really distracted while exercising, and the exercise does still count. Any exercise is better than none. If walking on a treadmill while playing Sonic the Hedgehog is what you're willing to do, then do it.
Systems: TI-99/4a, NES, SMS, GB, SNES, 3DO, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN
mas
Next-Gen

Re: Portable Gaming at the Gym

by mas Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:58 am

you cant go gaming at the gym. the gym is for you to do your cardio and hit the weights not to play games that is what the couch is for
Return to General Gaming