Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
MrPopo

Re: How to quit Starcraft - do drugs.

by MrPopo Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:18 pm

BigTinz wrote:
MrPopo wrote:Here's the problem; those who are truly addicted CANNOT fix the problem themselves. That's what addiction is. At the very least it takes a recovery program which includes the support of other people (usually other recovering addicts) and is a lifelong process (because the thing you're addicted to is still there). And sometimes it does require pharmacological intervention. The attitude displayed by this paragraph is one shared by a lot of people, and it keeps people from seeking the help they need for fear of losing face.

I think support groups are great, that's one way it should be done. But take methadone for example...the user quits heroin and starts using a much more powerful, much more addictive heroin substitute that is government regulated.

It's just about money....it's not about helping addicts...and that's why it is a bad thing.

Glad to see we have someone with a medical degree with a specialization in addiction medicine here to talk about how the drug companies are evil.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BigTinz
128-bit

by BigTinz Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:21 pm

Glad to see "we" have someone with equally under qualified experience who is defending said companies.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

by Pulsar_t Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:23 pm

Drugs shmugs. Take a cue from Battle Royale instead :lol: :lol:
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
chupon
Next-Gen

by chupon Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:19 pm

All points well taken. Thanks all for chiming in and your comments.

It is a good thing that people who can't help themselves with their addiction might find a solution with medicine.

I wonder if we'll see warning screens or labels on Blizzard games in the future for this.

It'd kinda be like the Sid Meier parody commercial on gaming addiction… but it would be serious.
Buy / Sell / Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=17958
Last updated: 11-10-16

PS3 ID: dakkenblackblade 360 ID: dakkenblackblad
Breetai
Next-Gen

by Breetai Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:28 pm

chupon wrote:I can't believe it has come to this. Pathetic. And look where we are headed. America's solution to every problem is pharmaceutical drugs. Only now other countries are following suit.

Welcome to neo-1984, where government supplied drugs and military operations are the largest industries in the world and the general population is dumbed down/sedated with those drugs/food&water additives.

Don't think it is only America. It is all over much of the world.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

by Erik_Twice Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:38 pm

chupon wrote:It'd kinda be like the Sid Meier parody commercial on gaming addiction… but it would be serious.

No grandma! Not the Nuke! :lol:

One turn more...
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
jfe2
Next-Gen

by jfe2 Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:42 pm

I'm on anti-depressants and I can honestly say that they work for me. At the same time though, I was also recently addicted to a different medication and had a hell of a time kicking that. I can see both sides of the argument, but pills aren't all bad IMO.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:05 pm

BigTinz wrote:Glad to see "we" have someone with equally under qualified experience who is defending said companies.

I'm not defending the companies, I'm attacking paranoia.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Return to General Gaming