Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
chupon
Next-Gen

How to quit Starcraft - do drugs.

by chupon Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:28 am

http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20 ... ?gt1=43001

Seriously!? I have no tolerance for this kind of gaming addiction. If you want your life to go to waste playing Starcraft, an MMO, or any other game go right ahead. Wreck your life and others around you and then die.

I can't believe it has come to this. Pathetic. And look where we are headed. America's solution to every problem is pharmaceutical drugs. Only now other countries are following suit.
Buy / Sell / Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=17958
Last updated: 11-10-16

PS3 ID: dakkenblackblade 360 ID: dakkenblackblad
AppleQueso

Re: How to quit Starcraft - do drugs.

by AppleQueso Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:32 am

This is something for South Korea though, a place where video game addiction is actually a serious enough problem for this kind of thing. I've heard stories of people neglecting their newborns to the point that they starve to death over video game addiction.

It's kind of hard to fathom in the western world, but for some strange reason South Korea really does have a very serious gaming problem.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:28 am

chupon wrote:I can't believe it has come to this. Pathetic. And look where we are headed. America's solution to every problem is pharmaceutical drugs. Only now other countries are following suit.

Explain to me why this is a bad thing.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
chupon
Next-Gen

by chupon Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:53 pm

I'm not denying drugs have their place in society and can accomplish good things. I'm not looking for an argument.

I'm just saying to me personally drugs represent the easy way out. The magic fix to the problem. And they've become so mainstream that there is a drug to solve almost any complication or problem. And people embrace it because that's the solution that is being pushed on them.

For instance take my Father. I love the guy but he's now way over weight, not exercising, and doesn't watch what he eats. High blood pressure and high cholesterol run in the family. He could basically have a heart attack at any time. It hasn't happened yet though thankfully.

I've been on him for years to at least go for walks and to eat better foods. He used to be in great shape and played college football.

His answer a few years ago that he still sticks with is, "That's too time consuming and difficult. I'm just going to take this drug instead and not worry about it."

Ok so maybe this is good because this medication is keeping him alive.

Here is the problem I have with it. Dependancy. I would bet everything that if my dad stops taking that medicine in a week or two his heart will explode. Becoming overly dependent on anything is my problem.

Again MrPopo I'm not looking to argue. I just think it's sad and frustrating that people who truly are addicted to something or have a serious problem either won't admit to it, choose to not recognize the facts, and then don't have enough self control to fix the problem themselves.
Buy / Sell / Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=17958
Last updated: 11-10-16

PS3 ID: dakkenblackblade 360 ID: dakkenblackblad
BigTinz
128-bit

by BigTinz Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:30 pm

MrPopo wrote:Explain to me why this is a bad thing.

Do you really need it explained? A nation full of pill poppers is a terrible thing...it shows a universal lack of self control and submission.

AND

It shows the "people as a whole's" willingness to bend over and just take the medicine...usually giving a big chunk of money to some bullshit med manufacture.
Last edited by BigTinz on Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:30 pm

It's a touchy subject, on the one hand I do think we are too dependant on drugs. And I believe some people like it that way because it puts money in their pockets. There are natural, holistic ways to deal with a lot of problems that people waste money on drugs for. Eating right, exercising, etc.

However, sometimes it is so much easier to pop a pill in your mouth than have to change your diet, exercise, etc. I'm not saying that's right, but given how hectic, tough, stressful, demanding, etc. many people's lives already are, it's hard to turn down an easy solution to something

Prescription pills are often quicker, easier ways to deal with a problem than having to completely change one's lifestyle to naturally overcome a problem

Personally, I think the human body is poorly designed :lol: So much easier to fix things with the right mix of chemicals than have to deal with fixing it naturally, which is tough and time consuming, and expensive too. You see how much money it costs to eat healthy these days? And it's hard for people working two jobs in this economy to even find time to exercise, or the energy. I would know, I've been trying to live a healthier lifestyle for the past year or so, and though it has its benefits, it's also kind of a pain sometimes. I have stomache problems too, and although I have tried all kinds of diet changes, holistic solutions, meditating for stress relief,etc. I still often find the easiest, quickest way to get me feeling better is taking a prescription pill and feeling better in thirty minutes or less
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:32 pm

chupon wrote:Again MrPopo I'm not looking to argue. I just think it's sad and frustrating that people who truly are addicted to something or have a serious problem either won't admit to it, choose to not recognize the facts, and then don't have enough self control to fix the problem themselves.

Here's the problem; those who are truly addicted CANNOT fix the problem themselves. That's what addiction is. At the very least it takes a recovery program which includes the support of other people (usually other recovering addicts) and is a lifelong process (because the thing you're addicted to is still there). And sometimes it does require pharmacological intervention. The attitude displayed by this paragraph is one shared by a lot of people, and it keeps people from seeking the help they need for fear of losing face.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BigTinz
128-bit

by BigTinz Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:35 pm

MrPopo wrote:Here's the problem; those who are truly addicted CANNOT fix the problem themselves. That's what addiction is. At the very least it takes a recovery program which includes the support of other people (usually other recovering addicts) and is a lifelong process (because the thing you're addicted to is still there). And sometimes it does require pharmacological intervention. The attitude displayed by this paragraph is one shared by a lot of people, and it keeps people from seeking the help they need for fear of losing face.

I think support groups are great, that's one way it should be done. But take methadone for example...the user quits heroin and starts using a much more powerful, much more addictive heroin substitute that is government regulated.

It's just about money....it's not about helping addicts...and that's why it is a bad thing.
slowslow325
Next-Gen

by slowslow325 Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:04 pm

The placebo effect is one of my favorite things in the world. If someone has an addiction like this, and you can make them truly believe that antidepressants will help, give them a placebo and it'll work, I guarantee.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

by Erik_Twice Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:14 pm

It's called psychiatry. It is a subject that can't be sumarized by "The evulz health companies just want to make money".

Chupon, you have no idea about the topic at hand, have not diagnosed the subjects and know nothing about them but you think you can claim that this is "pathetic".
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Return to General Gaming