Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
yomomma1
128-bit

Re: Biggest Impressions?

by yomomma1 Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:31 pm

1. Super mario bros 3. I really am not going to explain this one; But if you wonder why it is because The only 2d mario games I like is Super mario bros 2, Yoshi's island. Also I suck at platformers.

2. Streets of Rage 2
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:17 pm

TEAM ICO series, I ended up playing ICO NTSC and ICO PAL back to back and then played PAL version for a third time to compare all the differences. Wrote a continuing review at my signature link.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Ack

by Ack Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:10 am

1. Adventures in the Magic Kingdom on the NES. I don't know why, I just really liked the game as a kid. I used to play it all the time.

2. There are quite a few games I've done this with. I was impressed by titles like Echo Night: Beyond and Ghosthunter for PS2. The Peacekeepers on SNES was this way for me. I picked up FarCry 2, Call of Juarez, and Medal of Honor Airborne because they were cheap FPS titles, and I've gotten a kick out of all three. So...yeah.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
GryeDor
64-bit

by GryeDor Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:16 am

@AppleQueso
1. Bubsy - hehe, gotta love the offspring of the mascot craze of the 90's. It must have done at least pretty well commercially since there's been quite a few Bubsy titles.
2. Metal Gear Solid 2 - I've wanted to go back and play the of the MGS series. Only ever played the first one, then some of the clones that came after like Syphon Filter, etc... Might take your recommendation on the second!

@fastbilly1
1. Atari (2600?) Games - come on... at least SOME Atari games are still fun :)
2. Broken Sword - I can ashamedly say I've never heard of this! But looks like it fits right in the vein of the point-and-clicks that I love so much. I'm thinking I'll have to find the Director's Cut on the DS to play!

@Gamerforlife
2. Dude, I grabbed Skies of Arcadia on GameCube a long while ago and really enjoyed the whole experience. Sadly, I got stuck, came back like 3 months later and had no idea what I was doing in the game.

@hashiriya1
1. Ghouls n Ghosts - Dude, that whole series is so frustratingly difficult. Designed solely to be quarter-eaters in the arcades.
2. Herzog Zwei - Huh... I always thought this was a 2D Shooter like Life Force, but just pulled up a video and it looks like an insanely fun 2-Player experience!

@jrecee
1. Dash Galaxy in Alien Asylum - I've never even heard of this... definitely have to go investigating based on the name alone!
2. PowerBlade - I've always been on the lookout for this and Shatter Hand and have never seen them in any local shops - but have always wanted to play them!

@Dylan
1. Xevious - Ahh, there's our 2D Shooter
2. Psychonauts - Again, I've always wanted to play this, but never had the opportunity. Maybe one day...

@MrPopo
1. Nostalgia plays tricks on us all....
2. Mass Effect - Beyond my time, but have heard great things.

@final fight cd
You cheated :P
2. Grand Theft Auto 3 - I was never really into the GTA series, but I can see the allure of the open world scheme, an idea that was so revolutionary when it was introduced. (Was it Shenmue or was there one earlier?)
2. Final Fantasy VII - Very nice. A classic by nearly anyone's standards.

@Pingfa
You also cheated :P
2. Knights of the Old Republic - only ever saw a friend play it, myself, but looked like a fun game.
2. Earthworm Jim - It's a blast, isn't it?!
2. Metal Gear Solid - Yeah Solid is the only one of the series I had played, and would like to go back and finish it someday.
2. Final Fantasy VII - See above.

@yomomma1
1. Super Mario Bros. 3 - Ooooh, that's a toughy and I bet you catch lots of flak for it. But Yoshi's Island is, in a word, BRILLIANT.
2. Streets of Rage 2 - Nice, I love this one too!

@CRTGAMER
2. Team Ico Games - Nice! I've only played a bit of Ico, myself, and none of Shadow of the Colossus, but EVERYONE I know that has played them absolutely love them.

@Ack
1. Adventures in the Magic Kingdom - hehe, I think this one gets a bit of a bum wrap, but I can see why it gets it - so maybe like a half-bum-wrap.
2. A Bunch - Never heard of Echo Night or Ghosthunter, but PS2 was never much of my thing - mostly my brothers. Peace Keepers on the other hand, looks like a fun Beat Em Up, and 4-Player battle mode?! Now there a reason to get the 4P Multi-Tap!
Ack

by Ack Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:22 pm

GryeDor wrote:@Ack
1. Adventures in the Magic Kingdom - hehe, I think this one gets a bit of a bum wrap, but I can see why it gets it - so maybe like a half-bum-wrap.
2. A Bunch - Never heard of Echo Night or Ghosthunter, but PS2 was never much of my thing - mostly my brothers. Peace Keepers on the other hand, looks like a fun Beat Em Up, and 4-Player battle mode?! Now there a reason to get the 4P Multi-Tap!

I think you have way too much free time on your hands if you respond to all of us like this, haha. Anyway, I suppose it's the mix of genres that appeals to me about Adventures in the Magic Kingdom, and I used to be quite good at it, but I've gone back and some of those sections are pretty rough around the edges. The racing game wasn't nearly as good as I remember, nor was the Pirates of the Caribbean area. And Space Mountain has always sucked.

As for the PS2, those are both horror or horror-related titles. I'm an enormous horror video game fan, and the PS2 had lots to offer for the genre. Heck, the PS2 actually had a decent amount of nearly everything. I'd highly suggest picking one up at some point, especially since many PS2 games are cheap right now.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
GryeDor
64-bit

by GryeDor Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:29 pm

Ack wrote:I think you have way too much free time on your hands if you respond to all of us like this, haha.

Hah, thought it'd be fun. And I started the topic, so why the heck not? :)

I had thought about it, my brother offered his PS2 after he got the PS3, so maybe I will - I've always wanted to try out games like the Sly Cooper series.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:38 pm

GryeDor wrote:@fastbilly1
1. Atari (2600?) Games - come on... at least SOME Atari games are still fun :)
2. Broken Sword - I can ashamedly say I've never heard of this! But looks like it fits right in the vein of the point-and-clicks that I love so much. I'm thinking I'll have to find the Director's Cut on the DS to play!

True some Atari games are still fun. Combat and Ballblazer never lost their edge in my book. Combat is the epitome of a pre NES game to me. Simple gameplay, two player, and just a lot of fun. Warlords is another that I keep my Atari around for. But my Atari ports of Pacman and Donkey Kong...well those are just not worth talking about. If I had to pick one title specifically it would be Superman. For some reason we thought that was a decent enough game.

Broken Sword is great. Just stay away from the GBA port. And when you play it, the opening part with Nicole was added, the original starts with George at the Cafe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p22Q2df4ueA
It is a shame they changed it so much since that really made the game grab you from the get go.
Pingfa
64-bit

by Pingfa Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:52 pm

GryeDor wrote:@Pingfa
You also cheated :P

Heh, I guess I was also a kid with good taste because like MrPopo any game I got the slightest enjoyment out of I don't feel I genuinely liked - didn't have much else to play so I got what I could out of it.

There are two games that come to mind that I don't enjoy as much as I did, but was never very fond of anyway:
Chakan for Mega Drive/Genesis
Spiderman Vs Kingpin for Master System

I enjoyed Chakan because of the awesome premise, atmosphere and badass character, and enjoyed Spiderman because I could play as Spiderman - climbing walls and web-slinging.
I still like those aspects of those games, but they are otherwise so-so games.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:30 pm

GryeDor wrote:
Ack wrote:I think you have way too much free time on your hands if you respond to all of us like this, haha.

Hah, thought it'd be fun. And I started the topic, so why the heck not? :)

I had thought about it, my brother offered his PS2 after he got the PS3, so maybe I will - I've always wanted to try out games like the Sly Cooper series.

AWESOME series, great time to get into it too. They are releasing a high def Sly Cooper collection on the PS3 soon(after the success of God of War Collection) and there are subtle hints that we'll be seeing a Sly 4 if the collection does well
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Lord_Santa
128-bit

by Lord_Santa Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:50 pm

first things first:

1)
I am a huge fan of the Zelda series, owning 9 original titles
but these many years later, returning to the original LoZ...

it's just not the same sense of exploration and adventure as the later installments

this may be fully understandable, due to the complexity of the newer titles, but I played a lot of LoZ as a kid

these days.... it's just... meh.

I love and (re)play ever Zelda from ALttP and forwards, but Zelda 1 and 2... meh.

2)
a game which took me completely and utterly by surprise a couple of years ago was/is Popful Mail for the Sega CD

having owned a Master System and a Mega Drive during the Nintendo/Sega wars (I rented my NES's every weekend, or so) I was more used to the likes of Wonderboy, especially the Monster World series

having played through Monster World I-III and just discovering IV; I figured I'd check if there wasn't any similar games

I read up on a site, which claimed Popful Mail to be very similar in terms of gameplay, etc.

needless to say, it's the second-best platform/rpg/adventure hybrid I've played
of course Maplestory being the best =)
C-64 will never die
- only the players
Return to General Gaming