Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
GryeDor
64-bit

Biggest Impressions?

by GryeDor Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:14 am

Two-Parter Question!!
1. What was a game that you remember fondly as a kid, but coming back to it now, you wonder why the heck you loved it so much?
2. What is a game that you had NEVER played before and got it either on a whim or recommendation and were blown away by?

I was recently thinking about the first part this on my recent play-through on a certain game. I loved it as a kid, but coming back to it as an adult it was frustrating and strangely unsatisfying. I found mechanics in the game difficult to get used to and faults that I had either over-looked or had gotten used to as a kid.
That game? Super Mario 64. I know, right? It's remembered as a classic! Not to mention, pretty much any "Top however-many Mario Games" list has the game on it, with many of them near the top in contention with Super Mario World and Super Mario 3!
But yeah, Mario 64... I would spend hours on this trying to collect all the stars in Tick-Tock Clock, or trying to find all the Secret Castle Stars.... But coming back to it now, the camera was probably my biggest complaint. It rarely goes where you need or want it. You have some control over it... sometimes... And I found that many of my deaths were happening because I couldn't see what was happening - and particularly annoying after using the first-person perspective to look first. Now, despite all this, the game is entertaining and quite enjoyable, but certainly fell quite a few spots on my "Top however-many Mario Games" list.

On the flip-side of that, I was blown away by Earthbound. I had never played it as a kid, but got it just about a year ago for my birthday from my wife. LOVED it! And, what's more, my wife liked watching the story and game develop as I played through it - how awesome is that?! It was actually the first game that I recall playing where I was legimately disappointing when I had finished it because it meant I was done. I'm wanting to start a new game on it soon since I missed the super rare items and such, but primarily just to play it again. It was, in a word, fantastic.
AppleQueso

Re: Biggest Impressions?

by AppleQueso Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:23 am

1. I used to play Bubsy as a kid a lot. I mean when I was REALLY little and couldn't really discern quality games from crap ones. I went back to it as an adult and wow was that bad. I wanted to smack my child self for renting it all the time.

2. A game that blew me away right away? Hmm, main thing that comes to mind is Metal Gear Solid 2. It was the first game in the series I had played, and picked it up on a recommendation because it was dirt cheap and I'd just gotten a ps2 (was very late going in). I found myself loving the gameplay (despite the controls being confusing at first) and the story was something that really held my interest all the way to the end. I ended up naturally playing the rest of the series after beating it. I know it's not a fan favorite, but I love it all the same. I still find myself replaying it (and the other 3 games) every once in a while. I don't find the story of the games overall to be particularly profound like most folks seem to (they're pretty messy and rough around the edges honestly), but they're entertaining, I like the characters, and it's fun to see everything tie together.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:25 am

1. Any number of Atari games.
2. Broken Sword. I was always a lucasarts point and click fan, and despite buying both Broken Swords for the PSX, I shamefully never played them. I picked up the Directors cut of Broken Sword on my Wii about a year before we played it for TR and was blown away. It was gorgeous, fluid, and had a plot that gripped me and pulled me in close. The opening for the original was far superior to the directors cut.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:35 am

1. I honestly can't think of any. Anything I liked when I was kid I pretty much still like now. I was a kid with good taste :D

Though I will say that I wasn't impressed with Mario 64 the first time I played it and I'm still not impressed with it now. I think the only reason people praise it is because it was the first 3D platformer. I think the first 3d game I played was Tomb Raider or possibly Resident Evil. Tomb Raider is the game I played through and beat though and it really impressed me. Guess you could say Lara Croft took my 3d gaming virginity :lol:

2.I've bought lots of games on a whim in the past. Two that I ended up loving were Star Wars:Knights of the Old Republic and Skies of Arcadia. Two of my all time favorite rpgs. I also rented Final Fantasy 3 on a whim as a kid and it instilled in me my love of rpgs
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
hashiriya1
Next-Gen

by hashiriya1 Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:52 pm

1. Ghouls n Ghosts
2. Herzog Zwei
Jrecee
Next-Gen

by Jrecee Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:59 pm

I've picked up a few nes games that I had never heard of that turned out to be really good.

Of course I've picked up twice as many that were terrible.

Codename Viper, Powerblade, and Heavy Barrel are the awesome ones.

dash galaxy in alien asylum would be one of the bad ones.
Dylan
Next-Gen

by Dylan Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:29 pm

1. Xevious for the NES.

2. Psychonauts, it was on Steam for $3, and I bought it thinking "Ah, what the heck".
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:52 pm

1. I can't really think of any games I genuinly liked as a kid that I don't like now. I can think of several I played as a kid that I wouldn't pick up now; the simple reason why is that when you're a kid your selection is limited, so if you have it might as well play it.

2. I'm going to go with Mass Effect. I had heard good things about it, and I liked KOTOR, but I was leary of the shooting mechanic. Then I played Dragon Age, and the experience was fantastic. I decided to pick up Mass Effect, since Bioware also made it, and I was pissed at myself for having waited so long to play it.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
final fight cd
Next-Gen

by final fight cd Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:03 pm

GTA III and FF7

i wasn't really into the ps1. i had a few games for it, but mostly i stuck with the nes/snes for my gaming fixes. one christmas i got a ps2 along with GTA III and was seriously BLOWN AWAY. i couldn't get over the fact that i could walk around in a 3d environment and go ANYWHERE i wanted to. it was a huge deal since most of the games i played involved running from left to right. i probably played the game for 12 hours straight and i still had to force myself away from the console. funny thing now, i have no interested in 'sandbox' games anymore and i didn't even finish GTA IV.

FF7 was one of the few games i had for my ps1. i never played a RPG prior to it, and the only reason i bought it was because of the commercials. i hated it at first, but quickly grew attached. i remember i bought FF8 when it first came out and just HATED it. i didn't even finish the first disc. i have tried other RPGs, but i can never get into them. and as it stands, FF7 is the only rpg that i have beaten, and i have beaten it probably a dozen times if not more.
if you took a shit, please put it back
Pingfa
64-bit

by Pingfa Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:15 pm

I first found out about Knights of the Old Republic after my friend lent it to me, as he'd played it briefly and thought it was crappy. Thus I didn't have any expectations and was pretty much instantly hooked. Me and my brother spent many nights playing it, taking in turns every few hours.

Another friend gave away a bunch of PC games, as well as introducing me to Legend of Zelda on the Gameboy. Of the PC games, only one stood out that I had a blast with. Earthworm Jim. It was only some years later that I found out it was originally for my now number 1 console.

More recently, I bought a Playstation and am thoroughly enjoying Metal Gear Solid. I'd played it before years ago but didn't remember much about it - I mostly watched my brother play.
On that note, Final Fantasy VII. I'd never had any exposure to RPG games before. At the time I was intrigued but thought it kind of lame based on what I saw of others playing it - you just press attack to fight? You can't even control your character! I was soon hooked once I started playing it.
Return to General Gaming