Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Re: Difficulty as part of the experience.

by Jrecee Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:48 pm

She couldn't understand because she has grown up in an age where she gets game genie codes entered for her.
Dakinggamer87
Next-Gen

by Dakinggamer87 Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:44 pm

I don't mind difficulty in games as long as it is balanced.
Odyssey,Vectrex,Atari 2600,5200,7800,Intellivision,Colecovision,NES,Master System,SNES,Genesis,32X,CD,CDX,Virtual Boy,TG-16,Neo-Geo AES,Jaguar+CD,PSX,PSOne,Saturn,3DO,N64,DC,PS2,Xbox,GCN,Wii,Xbox 360,PS3,GB,GB Pocket,GBC,Lynx,Game Gear,Nomad,NGPC,GBA,GBA SP,GB Micro,DS,PSP,PSP Slim,WS,WS Color,3DS,Vita,PC,iPhone,WiiU
A/V:55" Samsung 3D LED TV, Onkyo 7.1 TX-SR605 HTS
My gaming collection
Ack

by Ack Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:01 am

Jrecee wrote:I have so many games that I haven't finished, I usually just play on easy mode so that I can get through the game sooner. Of course some games like to screw you with the easy mode with screens that pop up after 5 levels saying "TO CONTINUE PLEASE TRY NORMAL MODE!"

High seas havoc, Mega Turrican. . . bastards

Wasn't it Killer Instinct for the SNES that refused to show you character endings if you weren't on the highest difficulty?
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:06 am

Jrecee wrote:She couldn't understand because she has grown up in an age where she gets game genie codes entered for her.

Lol, yeah, but she's 6 and gets really sad when Yoshi runs away.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
jfrost
Next-Gen

by jfrost Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:31 am

I remember I really liked how Portal was build to get the player to learn the mechanics and how they were gradually incoporated into the puzzle solving. Most of the time I felt so clever, but I was just using the tools just given to me by the developers.

(Didn't feel so motivated to finish all the advanced maps, though. In one of them the turrets kept shooting me to death. It seemed as though the game was demanding something - reflexes - it wasn't supposed to. I'm not good at FPSs, and I think the first one I really enjoyed is Borderlands, so maybe I wasn't an "advanced" player, but sometimes these challenges seemed a just out of place in the game to me.)
Ack

by Ack Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:20 am

jfrost wrote:(Didn't feel so motivated to finish all the advanced maps, though. In one of them the turrets kept shooting me to death. It seemed as though the game was demanding something - reflexes - it wasn't supposed to. I'm not good at FPSs, and I think the first one I really enjoyed is Borderlands, so maybe I wasn't an "advanced" player, but sometimes these challenges seemed a just out of place in the game to me.)

Yeah, that's pretty much what the advanced maps were for: advanced FPS players. I beat all six of them, and there were admittedly some that gave me trouble, but considering I play a lot of FPS and was able to think through a lot of these, it wasn't too terrible. You also have to think a bit creatively with the physics, and in the turret one, a companion cube does make for an excellent bullet shield....
jfrost
Next-Gen

by jfrost Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:57 pm

I recall I beat 4 of the maps. In this map specifically, I was using the cubes to protect myself. The only problem was in that final part when we have to shoot through the grids and turn back quickly to reach the other side (I think we have to do that about three times). I always ended up dead.

Anyway, I still suck at FPSs, but I might come back to try these maps again.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:01 pm

I was unaware there were advance maps...maybe I need to reinstall portal.
Ack

by Ack Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:41 pm

fastbilly1 wrote:I was unaware there were advance maps...maybe I need to reinstall portal.

They basically take six of the later challenges and make them more difficult by removing floors, giving fewer surfaces you can put portals on, encasing turrets in cages so you can't knock them over...that kind of thing. Honestly the challenge maps are harder.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

by Pulsar_t Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:16 pm

I don't like it when the game gimps me intentionally. See: Resident Evil 4+5.
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
Return to General Gaming