Graphics style. SNES Vs. Genesis. Which do you prefer?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else

Which?

SNES
63%
Genesis
37%

Total votes: 87

Luke
Next-Gen

Re: Graphics style. SNES Vs. Genesis. Which do you prefer?

Post by Luke »

Ack wrote:If we're going to bring up different chips in carts, then I feel that this should serve as my answer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9ksL1nOuys

Even better Intro, on the Genesis.

Just look at the lady's hobby.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Luke wrote:
Ack wrote:If we're going to bring up different chips in carts, then I feel that this should serve as my answer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9ksL1nOuys

While I appreciate the humor, I'd like to take a moment and point out that my posting of that URL was to bring attention to the ability of the SNES to play an arcade game released in 1996 that was then ported to the next generation of consoles. While the SNES version does suffer from load times and had a few extra tidbits removed, it's damned impressive to see Street Fighter Alpha 2 appear on a 16-bit console with those absolutely gorgeous sprites.

Just think how incredible it would have been to get a Darkstalkers on the SNES. Considering that Alpha 2 was released after Night Warriors and Darkstalkers' Revenge while using similar technology, I believe it was possible. Hell, X-Men: Children of the Atom was released in 1994 for the same arcade board. Imagine how awesome that would have been on the SNES, which theoretically could have pulled it off.

And before anybody tries to say anything, Alpha 2 is extremely playable on the SNES and is my SNES fighter of choice to pull out at gatherings.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

It's rather interesting isn't it? I believe the first port of Street Fighter II was on the SNES, showing everyone it was possible. After that, it was ported practically everywhere. Now you look at Street Fighter Alpha 2 and the SNES continues to impress with its handling of SF games

I always wished the industry didn't go through console cycles so damn quickly. I always love to see what happens when developers try and push consoles past their limits. I still remember how amazed I was by Donkey Kong Country's graphics when it came out, or seeing the amazing animation in some of Shiny's work with David Perry on the Genesis for the first time, or hearing what games like Streets of Rage could do with the Genesis sound chip, seeing the incredible things Panarama Cotton was doing on the Genesis, the awesome for its time 3D on Starfox for the SNES, seeing the Sega Saturn running impressive 3D games or seeing Capcom finally manage to pump out some good 2D fighters on Playstation despite its limited RAM. Or seeing a damn near PS2 quality God of War:Chains of Olympus running on the PSP. I love seeing a game do things on a console that it shouldn't be able to get away with. You don't see that much these days as consoles are so damn powerful now. They're pretty much computers now
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

Luke wrote:

that just got me in the mood for some Streets of Rage. cya later guys, going to beat up some thugs.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

Turbo-Grafx 16. ;)
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
I Feel Asleep!!
64-bit

Post by I Feel Asleep!! »

I'm a little biased to the SNES, since that was the 16 bit console I grew up with. :D But I really do appreciate the different sort of graphic styles of both consoles...SNES graphics feel a bit sharper for the most part, but there's something about the colors/textures I really like about Genesis games too. Hard for me to put a finger on it...
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

I think that the SNES has better graphics. I value a clean look very highly.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
swiftzx
Next-Gen

Post by swiftzx »

I prefer Genesis graphics more; I like that the character stands out in the backgrounds.
Sale thread (please buy!): viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19428
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

General_Norris wrote:I think that the SNES has better graphics. I value a clean look very highly.

swiftzx wrote:I prefer Genesis graphics more; I like that the character stands out in the backgrounds.

But isn't this about the "style" of graphics, not the graphics alone?
Shabba
24-bit

Post by Shabba »

I was old enough to buy both for myself when they came out. Maybe I was just a victim of marketing and word of mouth, but I was always more impressed with the SNES. Perhaps super mario world sucked me in, but I ended up playing more games on the SNES than on the Genesis. But don't get me wrong. I was blown away when I played Altered Beast, Phantasy Star 2-4 and Sonic. Sonic was a breakthrough for me. It was so nutso fast and pretty. But when it just came down to it, I was more of a SNES guy. So what if some of the games slowed down? They sure were purty...
-Colin
2600/5200/7800, C64, Colecovision, ADAM, NES, SMS, Genesis, SNES, TurboDuo, N64, DC, PS1/2/3, PSX, GC, 360, Wii, GB, LYNX, NGPC, PSP, Turboexpress