Mega Man X2 Metal

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Mega Man X2 Metal

Post by brunoafh »

I like to play the guitar and arrange my favorite songs from the early ages of gaming. I got some initiative the other day and sat down and recorded one of my favorite songs from Mega Man X2. The song I put together is Flame Stag's stage theme. I was playing it and thought "damn, this theme is awesome". I did everything here myself, not that it's very much haha. The drum track is unintentionally too quiet, but it doesn't take away from it very much in my opinion. I didn't record any bass because my bass and amp set up is unfortunately of the lowest quality. All the guitar playing and the song arrangement was done by myself.

I put the song up on YouTube if anyone wants to give it a listen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXvP32gvCf0

If anyone cares I used:
Ibanez ICX120
Marshall Valvestate VS102R Amplifier (recorded it via Line Out, emulated)
Sonar Cakewalk 6 Producer's Edition

I'd like to hear what you guys think of it. It stays very true to the original, but I took some liberty and threw in a nice Mega Man-esque sounding solo. I have other recordings and video game remixes too, maybe I'll post them sometime.
thekorean12
24-bit

Re: Mega Man X2 Metal

Post by thekorean12 »

It's awful to listen to, but with few modifications it could be so much better. The lead guitar gets off beat from the backing track many times or it could just be the rhythm guitar that's off. I don't want to listen to it anymore... Just make sure that your lead guitar is playing in the same time signature as the rest of the song and I think that would fix it.

I'm sorry, I didn't say anything good about it. You are skilled at guitar and I like your arrangement. :)
My life for Aiur.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Yeah, after the first passage you've got the rhythm guitar not in sync with the drum part, which just causes me to cringe. You should hit up Stemage over at Metroid Metal; when he was starting out he was doing the metal remixes of the original Metroid by himself, so he can probably give you some pointers.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

Post by Rurouni_Fencer »

A little rough around the edges, but I also know how hard it can be to play a live instrument with a computer drum beat.. (Why not try Fruity Loops or Hammerhead's drum machine program for the drum beat? (http://download.cnet.com/HammerHead-Rhythm-Station/3000-2170_4-10027874.html)
Personally, I use Sony Acid, so I'm not too familiar with Cakewalk's production values..

Still, it was awesome to hear somebody else's appreciation for one of my favorite Mega Man X themes.. Any chance you've done the intro stage for X2? That's my all time favorite MMX tune...
B/S/T Thread *Updated 7/30/11*
Rurouni_Fencer »» 39 (as of 6/27/2018)