Good retro podcasts?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Good retro podcasts?

Post by noiseredux »

dsheinem wrote:
noiseredux wrote:All Things Considered often uses the opening to a track from Thurston Moore's TREES OUTSIDE THE ACADEMY... just saying.

Great album!

YES IT IS. Y'know what else is great? Having an advance promo with hand-made alternate cover art.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

noiseredux wrote:
dsheinem wrote:
noiseredux wrote:All Things Considered often uses the opening to a track from Thurston Moore's TREES OUTSIDE THE ACADEMY... just saying.

Great album!

YES IT IS. Y'know what else is great? Having an advance promo with hand-made alternate cover art.

:shock: :shock:
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

dsheinem wrote:

got it thru Ecstatic Piece months before the record came out. :wink:

Although giving him a hug was way cooler than any record.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

noiseredux wrote:
dsheinem wrote:

got it thru Ecstatic Piece months before the record came out. :wink:

Although giving him a hug was way cooler than any record.

lol. I imagine a bony squish.

Do you share my opinion that SY's 2002-present output has been their best?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

dsheinem wrote:

it was. I'm only like 5'5".

Um.. well my favorite album (not just by them, but of all time) is EVOL which was 1986. However, my 2nd favorite SY album is easily MURRY STREET (2002) so... yeah. It's just easier to say that I genuinely love every singly SY album deeply. In the list of ongoing obsessions -- SY has been my longest and most serious obsession. Trust me. I'm a lot more intense than you might think. 8)
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

noiseredux wrote:
dsheinem wrote:

it was. I'm only like 5'5".

Um.. well my favorite album (not just by them, but of all time) is EVOL which was 1986. However, my 2nd favorite SY album is easily MURRY STREET (2002) so... yeah. It's just easier to say that I genuinely love every singly SY album deeply. In the list of ongoing obsessions -- SY has been my longest and most serious obsession. Trust me. I'm a lot more intense than you might think. 8)

I'm a big SY fan as well, although my unhealthy music obsession ran deep with The Smashing Pumpkins for most of the 90s (I own 90% of even obscure releases and 1000+ CD/DVDs of live shows)...but not so much with the current incarnation of the band...

Anyway, EVOL is great, and I guess if I were to be picky I'd say that 88-92 and then 02-06 were their best periods - the six albums from those years are all masterful. But, I also agree that all of their stuff is solid (including the awesome SYR series). Murray Street is my fave album by them (and one of my faves by anyone) and Jim O'Rourke is an absolute genius...
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

My favorite SYR's are 1, 2, 7, & 8.

I'm glad we have something else to talk about D. Haha. I tend to not discuss music/film/non-video game stuff here though becuz that's what I do constantly at the (gasp) SY forums, which I've been a member of since launch.

EDIT: when you said -2006, does that mean you purposefully left out SYR7, 8 and The Eternal??
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

Post by Bradtemple87 »

ALLGENGAMERS, great new podcast from some mega collectors on youtube, really great episodes so far featuring turbografx, working designs, and neo geo w/ guest hosts

look them up on itunes