Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
AgentCupcakes
16-bit

Fixing a wavebird joystick

by AgentCupcakes Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:04 am

okay I know I put up a thread asking how to fix a N64 controller a couple days ago. But a few months ago my friend gave me his old wavebird. The only problem is all the rubber from the joystick is gone. Can i replace the joystick or get a new rubber cover for it?
Systems: Genesis, SNES, Nintendo 64, Playstation 2, Gamecube, Wii, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, PSP

Twitter: Agent_Cupcakes
Medical Dust
16-bit

Re: Fixing a wavebird joystick

by Medical Dust Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:22 am

^ Sorry I can't help you. However I myself have a Wavebird problem: the controller seems to be completely dead. I've tried several sets of fresh batteries, yet no light ever comes on. Should I give up, or buy the gamebit screwdriver and disassemble the Wavebird?
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:48 am

Finally! A question not asking what game to buy.

For the stick repair maybe epoxy trimmed end of a rubber tip from hardware store?

As for Wavebird not working at all is the receiver channel matched to the wavebird?
Maybe also clean the AA battery holder contacts, might be corrosion?

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

dedalusdedalus
Next-Gen

by dedalusdedalus Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:30 am

Just swap the nub with the wired controller you don't use anymore.
AgentCupcakes
16-bit

by AgentCupcakes Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:33 am

dedalusdedalus wrote:Just swap the nub with the wired controller you don't use anymore.

and how would I go about doing that
Systems: Genesis, SNES, Nintendo 64, Playstation 2, Gamecube, Wii, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, PSP

Twitter: Agent_Cupcakes
dedalusdedalus
Next-Gen

by dedalusdedalus Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:08 am

AgentCupcakes wrote:
dedalusdedalus wrote:Just swap the nub with the wired controller you don't use anymore.

and how would I go about doing that

If you have a tri-wing, you can detach the top half of the shells. Once you have the top half detached, you can pop off the joystick cap from the wired controller and put it on the wavebird becase they're interchangeable.

It really doesn't get any simpler than that.
Droid party
Next-Gen

by Droid party Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:08 am

. That's what I did. It helps if you have a dead one to salvage from.
JT wrote:Yeah, like vampire aliens invade and hit us all with a ray beam that paralyzes all of our arms. The only way to deactivate the ray beam and fight back the vampire alien threat is with a complicated series of foot patterns on the device's control board that looks remarkably like a DDR pad. We will all praise this man for saving our lives and buy him a mountain of stuffed animals.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:26 pm

I've seen rubber caps for thumbsticks around before, including at Gamestop. I'm not sure if they were intended to replace missing ones or "Increase your grip 537%" or some marketing nonsense.
s1mplehumar
Next-Gen

by s1mplehumar Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:40 am

CRTGAMER wrote:Finally! A question not asking what game to buy.

Amen.
Nintendo ID, PSN, XBL: Eronnicus * Steam ID: s1mplehumar * Switch Friend Code: SW-3270-7921-5525
slowslow325
Next-Gen

by slowslow325 Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:34 pm

You could probably take apart your old wired one. It probably has a joystick that's just screwed in with a plug, it's probably really easy to swap.

But, if you aren't skilled at all and just want a quick, easy fix, you can buy rubber joystick grips.
Return to General Gaming