Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
final fight cd
Next-Gen

Re: Game Shop For Sale on eBay

by final fight cd Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:03 am

retro gaming is huge, but at the same time it sucks. there are 3 retro stores around me that NOBODY goes into. i have never been in any of the stores with another customer nor have i ever driven by any of the stores and seen a parked car. and i can only assume that these aren't the only 3 stores like this. and by reading the seller's response to one of the questions, it sounds like the same thing happened to this store. jrecee has it right: actually owning a retro gaming store is a really bad idea. do the shit online.

i think anybody who would consider to buy this to add to their own store inventory would be a fool. even selling on ebay you probably wouldn't see a profit for a few years. and that is assuming he actually has 60k worth of gaming shit.
if you took a shit, please put it back
aaron
Next-Gen

by aaron Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:45 pm

the retro store near me (McVan's) is in an area with a lot of foot traffic and other "niche" shops, they get a lot of business. lots of people coming to buy PS3 and 360 stuff. very healthy library of older games. it's probably my favorite store in town, the rest of the retro shops are all just resale shops, mostly walls of DVDs.
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
darthmunky
Next-Gen

by darthmunky Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:11 pm

That place would be my heaven
- Check out my Trade List
- Check out my Want List
- My GameTZ feedback
- My eBay feedback
aaron
Next-Gen

by aaron Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:46 pm

darthmunky wrote:That place would be my heaven

it's awesome! if you're ever in indy look me up, i'll give you the retro gaming tour, haha
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
slowslow325
Next-Gen

by slowslow325 Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:06 am

I have to say the retro store near me is doing EXCELLENTLY. It always has people in it.

First off, the owner is a really awesome guy. He talks to the customers a lot, and if he happens to ring you up, he'll probably give you one of the games you're buying for free.

Second, he opened his store in the mall. It's obvious to do that, because that way you get people that are just walking around the mall.

Third, he made sure to open his store in a mall that has a Gamestop (like most of them). I know this because he told me. I've overheard him getting trade ins from people that just came to see if they could get a better deal at this store than at Gamestop.

Fourth, he recently put in Arcade machines. When he told me he was going to, I thought it would be cool, but I didn't expect many customers to use them. I was wrong. You can walk in there at just about any time and you'll see at least one or two people on the arcade machines.

Fifth, he gave more incentive to play the arcade machines by putting rewards if you beat the game. Like on the six player XMen cabinet, if you beat it, each customer gets a free DVD. If you beat Mortal Kombat II you get a five dollar gift certificate. It really just adds an extra incentive to spend a quarter and play there instead of at home.

Sixth, he sells Pokemon/Yu Gi Oh cards. He also hosts tournaments.

Seventh, and probably most important, the atmosphere of the store is really laid back. The employees are very kind and it doesn't feel at all serious. You can tell that the owner loves what he does.
final fight cd
Next-Gen

by final fight cd Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:26 am

slowslow325 wrote:I have to say the retro store near me is doing EXCELLENTLY.

what are the prices like? and how about the inventory?

this one store near me has a pretty nice selection of games: cib saturn, sega cd, 3do, cd-i, master system etc. but, the shit is outrageously priced. ALL sega cd games are minimum 12 bucks. even the shitty FMV games. i love my sega cd games, but no way i am dropping 12 bucks for a FMV game. most loose nes games are around 8 bucks minimum. i remember a while back i saw contra force for around 80 bucks! the game is gone from the store, so i am assuming somebody bought it. they also have a shitty, beat up, loose copy of shining force II for 50 dollars. absolutely absurd prices. i know these kinds of prices have to be hurting them. they are definitely stopping me from going back to the store.

one other store near me actually has really prices, but unfortunately their retro stock is severely lacking. i have bought most of there good sega games over the past year or so.
if you took a shit, please put it back
Bikeage
128-bit

by Bikeage Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:57 pm

the retro store near me (McVan's) is in an area with a lot of foot traffic and other "niche" shops, they get a lot of business. lots of people coming to buy PS3 and 360 stuff. very healthy library of older games. it's probably my favorite store in town, the rest of the retro shops are all just resale shops, mostly walls of DVDs.

Thanks for reminding me about that place, I had forgotten the name. I asked around at a Gamestop down there awhile back if there were anyplace selling older games, and they told me about McVans and gave me directions to Broad Ripple, but I was running short on time and had to pass. Next time i'm going thru Indy (and have time to stop anywhere besides the White Castle before 465) i'll check it out.
Return to General Gaming