Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
JohnBaxterly
24-bit

"Bootleg" Bill Or "For-Real" Frank?

by JohnBaxterly Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:17 pm

After reading through article after article about bootlegged GBA games (something my naive mind for gaming never took into consideration), I'm ridiculously paranoid about buying something off of eBay that doesn't come with a box or manual (though even those can be bootlegged, from what I've read).

So my question is this: Real or fake? The label seems fine, down to the AGB code-thingy. It also has the gyro sensor... obviously. Having owned this game before, I remember it pretty well, and I'm pretty sure this is a real copy. The guy (or girl) also has perfect feedback, with only two neutrals: One with somebody saying the Plug-N-Play they bought doesn't control as well as they thought it should (not seller's problem), and the other saying 90% of the (Wii) game works... not sure what this even means, but still. :D

Thanks for your help, guys!
"Hand over the wave, yeah, Hand over the water"
weasels
Next-Gen

Re: "Bootleg" Bill Or "For-Real" Frank?

by weasels Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:32 pm

I doubt you have anything to worry about. the person has all good status and the game is (as of what i can remember from it) looking perfect.
"ninja's wear clothing of every color so they can blend with the alphabet."-best friend concerning bushido blade 2.
my trade and sell list is right here: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20601

N64, saturn model 2, ds, Dreamcast, ps1, ps2, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, xbox, 3DO, psp slim (v.3001.)
feel free to PM/IM me if you feel like talking to me.
JohnBaxterly
24-bit

by JohnBaxterly Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:33 pm

weasels wrote:I doubt you have anything to worry about. the person has all good status and the game is (as of what i can remember from it) looking perfect.

Thanks, dude! I feel a little more relieved now. Just needed a second opinion, y'know? lol
Dylan
Next-Gen

by Dylan Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:46 pm

Usually, if you can see pictures of the item you can size it up with a decent degree of accuracy. Bootlegs will usually be easy to spot, and label art is a very easy way to check. Also, it's always a good idea to check and see if the back of the cart says "Nintendo" on it, sometimes on fakes it's spelled incorrectly.

Unfortunately, there are still some convincing fakes out there. Do you have a Triwing screwdriver? I ordered one awhile ago and use it to check all of the GBA games that I buy, the pcb is always a dead giveaway for a bootleg.
JohnBaxterly
24-bit

by JohnBaxterly Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:53 pm

Dylan wrote:Do you have a Triwing screwdriver?

No, sadly. But yeah, one of the things I read was how Nintendo uses the super-cool-lookin' "Y"-shaped screws. I also read numerous things about the misspelling of Nintendo being very common, along with the messy labels.

One of the biggest giveaways I've seen, though, is whether or not it has the white text inside of the cart. Something about it saying the year, "Nintendo", and some other stuff.

Thanks, too!
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:07 pm

I always search local Gamestops first, usually for the best price.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=37369
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

JohnBaxterly
24-bit

by JohnBaxterly Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:09 pm

CRTGAMER wrote:I always search local Gamestops first

As do I, man, but the closest one to me is in Miami, I think. I live in Key West, so you know... not much for chains of any kind of store, really. Thanks for the tip, though!
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:58 pm

Bootleggers probably aren't going to bother with any of the carts with extra stuff in them. Adding tilt sensors and rumble motors costs money and they're trying to make their copy as cheaply as possible.
Para
128-bit

by Para Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:07 am

The topic name of this thread is funny.
JohnBaxterly
24-bit

by JohnBaxterly Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:43 am

Para wrote:The topic name of this thread is funny.

:D

And yeah Hobie-wan, that does make sense. I've also read that they tend to go after the most mainstream/best-selling of games. I figured Twisted! wouldn't really go in that category, but better safe than sorry.
Return to General Gaming