Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
h8b1llg8ts
128-bit

Playing by the numbers ...

by h8b1llg8ts Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:16 am

So I'm getting ready to post some of my video game collection via youtube. And I'm running through all my disc based games and have come up with a couple numbers here I thought were interesting.

First, to give a little background I have all my CD games displayed in my living room right now. Missing are just my 3DO and Neo Geo CD because I have so few and no room. Below is a breakdown of what I have displayed. These numbers are excluding my bonus disc and demos.

Xbox 360 - 103
oXbox - 172
Wii - 21
Gamecube - 56
DS - 18 (I have these out because it's my daughters favorite system)
Dreamcast - 43
Saturn - 52
Sega CD - 15
PS3 - 10
PS2 - 58
PS1 - 89
PSP - 13

My total CD based games displayed = 650

If I multiply that amount and average that each game would have cost me if I payed retail $50 that would make my investment amount $32,500. That number is excluding all my systems and all associated accessories.

Now I am a used game collector and cheapassgamer junkie. I average out spending about $12 on each game. So if I run with that average amount I figure I spent on all those game roughly $7,800. Which makes my average discount per game 76%.
Last edited by h8b1llg8ts on Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.youtube.com/h8b1llg8ts

Making Love To You Was Never Second Best ...

Current set up: Onlive, 32 GB Wii U , Star Wars Edition Xbox 360, 60GB PS3, soft modded Blue Wii, Mountain Dew Edition Xbox, Indigo Gamecube w/ Gameboy Player, Neo Geo CDZ, Neo Geo X Gold, Sega Sports Edition Dreamcast, Skeleton Saturn.
Pichu
128-bit

Re: Playing by the numbers ...

by Pichu Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:42 am

Keep your numbers out of my games! (lolwut)

:lol: That's really interesting actually.
AmishSamurai
Next-Gen

by AmishSamurai Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:50 am

In a similar vein, this can be used for your digital crap on steam.

http://www.steamcalculator.com/

My account is worth $593 USD. Bought most of it in sales. Think only things I didn't get on sale were Dragon Age, and Orange Box, which was a gift so it doesn't count.
MrPopo wrote:The life lesson here is jobs will come and go, but Earthbound will always be there for you.

I'm a girl btw
Droid party
Next-Gen

by Droid party Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:08 am

Hmm, strange. The steam calculator didn't count all of my steam purchases. It missed Batman Arkam asylum. I'll have to check to see if it missed any others.
JT wrote:Yeah, like vampire aliens invade and hit us all with a ray beam that paralyzes all of our arms. The only way to deactivate the ray beam and fight back the vampire alien threat is with a complicated series of foot patterns on the device's control board that looks remarkably like a DDR pad. We will all praise this man for saving our lives and buy him a mountain of stuffed animals.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:23 pm

h8b1llg8ts wrote:
If I multiply that amount and average that each game would have cost me if I payed retail $50 that would make my investment amount $32,500. That number is excluding all my systems and all associated accessories.

You need to google the definition of investment.

Not to be an ass, but the constant ignorance of people not knowing what an investment is just makes me grind my teeth at night. The only investment you have in your games is an intangible one. What you have is a loss of funds, not an investment.

The same goes for idiots who say they "invested" in a car.

Sorry to come off as a jerk, but for fucking crying out loud learn what an investment actually is. There are always exceptions, but very rarely in video games. That said, even if you have a mint boxed copy of EarthBound, it's only an investment if you buy it with the intent of selling for more money than you paid for, and you have a buyer willing to buy it at a price above your purchase cost.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:41 pm

Luke wrote:
h8b1llg8ts wrote:

You need to google the definition of investment.

Not to be an ass, but the constant ignorance of people not knowing what an investment is just makes me grind my teeth at night. The only investment you have in your games is an intangible one. What you have is a loss of funds, not an investment.

The same goes for idiots who say they "invested" in a car.

Sorry to come off as a jerk, but for fucking crying out loud learn what an investment actually is. There are always exceptions, but very rarely in video games. That said, even if you have a mint boxed copy of EarthBound, it's only an investment if you buy it with the intent of selling for more money than you paid for, and you have a buyer willing to buy it at a price above your purchase cost.

semen-ticks

Anyhow, it is kind of interesting to figure out how much you collection would've cost if you bought all the games at retail value.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:31 am

AppleQueso wrote:
semen-ticks

Anyhow, it is kind of interesting to figure out how much you collection would've cost if you bought all the games at retail value.

Agree! It is fun to see what you've spent on your gaming library. I'm inching closer and closer to 1K games, and I'd love to find out what the value of my collection is.

Disagree :( Not semantics. Buying something doesn't equal an investment.
Return to General Gaming