Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
User avatar
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4320
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:14 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Should I?

by gtmtnbiker Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:15 am

JohnBaxterly wrote:
yomomma1 wrote:Which one is cheaper?

Well, the GBA SPs are $40 at both Gamestops. It also doesn't tell you which color you're gonna get and whether or not it'll be the 101 or not. :(


You could always call on the phone and ask if they have a GBA SP that is pearl blue or graphite. If you like the pink (I forget the name of the color), then ask for that as well. Then ask them to confirm that it is model AGS-101 on the back. If it looks good, then have them hold it for you.
slowslow325
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:20 pm

Re: Should I?

by slowslow325 Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:33 am

Hobie-wan wrote:
slowslow325 wrote:
gtmtnbiker wrote:Please refrain from using "gay" as an adjective. It suggests that you're immature.


The majority of the time gay is used, it's used as an adjective. Otherwise it's used as a noun, and then it sounds about ten times more offensive. Either way, it was a great adjective to describe it. Gay is a word, whether people like it or not. Also, come to think of it, it could probably be used as a verb.


It is offensive to use it in that pejorative manner because it implies that all things gay are bad. Unless you are using it to describe something as cheerful or a person as homosexual, then don't.


I was using that word to describe something. It was a perfect way to describe the color. I also don't like the color, however, I wasn't necessarily using it as a derogatory term.

Like if I say "I have a black DS. I don't like it." Does that imply that anything black is bad?

I don't care that the technical definition of "gay" is homosexual, or rather happy. Words can change, in our society the word "gay" is a common term used to describe something like that.
User avatar
JohnBaxterly
24-bit
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:55 am

Re: Should I?

by JohnBaxterly Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:27 am

gtmtnbiker wrote:You could always call on the phone and ask if they have a GBA SP that is pearl blue or graphite.

Hey, that's a good idea! Thanks, man! This is why I love this forum. :D

I'll have to do that later today. That would be awesome if they had the Graphite, since I can't seem to find it anywhere online for less than, like, $50 or more. If not, I don't mind the Pearl Blue.
"Hand over the wave, yeah, Hand over the water"
slowslow325
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:20 pm

Re: Should I?

by slowslow325 Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:19 pm

JohnBaxterly wrote:
gtmtnbiker wrote:You could always call on the phone and ask if they have a GBA SP that is pearl blue or graphite.

Hey, that's a good idea! Thanks, man! This is why I love this forum. :D

I'll have to do that later today. That would be awesome if they had the Graphite, since I can't seem to find it anywhere online for less than, like, $50 or more. If not, I don't mind the Pearl Blue.


Ask if they have battletoads, too.
User avatar
JohnBaxterly
24-bit
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:55 am

Re: Should I?

by JohnBaxterly Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:26 pm

slowslow325 wrote:Ask if they have battletoads, too.

:D
"Hand over the wave, yeah, Hand over the water"
User avatar
yomomma1
128-bit
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Should I?

by yomomma1 Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:32 pm

You were using it as a derogatory term. It is offensive, you shouldn't use it like you did.
slowslow325
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:20 pm

Re: Should I?

by slowslow325 Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:40 pm

yomomma1 wrote:You were using it as a derogatory term. It is offensive, you shouldn't use it like you did.


I was not using it as a derogatory term, I was using it to better describe the color. Yes, I know it's technically not the proper way to use it, but the purpose of adjectives is to throw the idea into your mind better. If you know what I mean by "gay" in that sense, then it's perfectly fine, technically or not.

Also, if anyone is offended by that, they need to relax. There's absolutely no reason to be offended by that, it's not like I'm saying "I hate all gay people!!!".

Even if it I was using it as a derogatory term, the way I used it was like a different definition of the word. It may be derogatory in that sense, but not in the other sense. The best analogy I can think of is reversing it and saying "I hate all black people". That doesn't mean you hate the color black, or black items. If you look black up in the dictionary, it's the color, but society has another meaning when combined with the word "people" that is a completely different term and should not be associated with the color.
AppleQueso
 

Re: Should I?

by AppleQueso Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:42 pm

prepare for at least 3 pages of discussion over whether saying "that's gay" is offensive or not
User avatar
yomomma1
128-bit
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Should I?

by yomomma1 Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:45 pm

I don't understand why you can't just admit that it isn't a good way to describe things.

I would give examples to disprove your point but it would piss off everyone.
slowslow325
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:20 pm

Re: Should I?

by slowslow325 Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:55 pm

yomomma1 wrote:I don't understand why you can't just admit that it isn't a good way to describe things.

I would give examples to disprove your point but it would piss off everyone.


Because I don't think it isn't a good way to describe things. I actually think it is a very effective way to describe things.

If it gave someone the image in their mind better, or made someone know what to expect better, it's a great way to describe things.

Ya know, I hate when people argue like that. One person gives a load of valid points, makes a very clear, rational argument, and the other person just pretends like it didn't happen and pretends like they're winning the argument.
Return to General Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests