Fixing a N64 Controller

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
AgentCupcakes
16-bit

Fixing a N64 Controller

Post by AgentCupcakes »

I couldn't figure out where to put this so I'll leave it here.

My N64 controller's joystick is a little loose and jiggles around alot. This causes my games to slowly drift to the left constantly. Is there any way to fix this? I really don't want to stop using the controller because it was my first ever console controller so I'd really like to fix itt. Any help would really, really help.
Systems: Genesis, SNES, Nintendo 64, Playstation 2, Gamecube, Wii, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, PSP

Twitter: Agent_Cupcakes
studentzki
16-bit

Re: Fixing a N64 Controller

Post by studentzki »

Here you go;
http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/nintendo/n64cont.htm

But it takes a lot of patience and it didn't work for me...
Maybe you've got more luck, succes!
a.k.a. sombetzki
My arcade collection
Hateshinai
128-bit

Post by Hateshinai »

I followed that guide. It was a definite improvement in my opinion.
Mostly harmless
Droid party
Next-Gen

Post by Droid party »

That or replace the assembly. You should be able to find people selling them on ebay if the repair doesn't work.
JT wrote:Yeah, like vampire aliens invade and hit us all with a ray beam that paralyzes all of our arms. The only way to deactivate the ray beam and fight back the vampire alien threat is with a complicated series of foot patterns on the device's control board that looks remarkably like a DDR pad. We will all praise this man for saving our lives and buy him a mountain of stuffed animals.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I did it to a lot of controllers. I found that you really can't ever fix a worn joystick and get it like new again. You can improve the joystick, and if it's really grinding and unplayable you can make it at least usable.

But, the lubrication of the joystick is best done to joysticks that are NOT yet worn. This way they wont grind away and wear out.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

I found a trick on youtube on using thin strips of tape to fill in your grinded down joysticks.I tried it out and i was satisfied.The results where much better(not like new tho)then it was.If you do attempt to fix your controller,I recommend you carefully disassemble and assemble it,make sure all inside is clean from worn stick,and if you do the tape trick take your time for a better result.I ve only done this once but my stick got its reponse back tight and some flick to it.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

It's not possible to fix an N64 controller since the problem is a result of the plastic wearing away. Once it's broken it's broken. Lubricating it won't do anything. The key is to lubricate the stick BEFORE it gets worn down.

Your only options are to replace the stick itself with a new assembly, or hack in a stick from a gamecube/nunchuck or something.

This is one of the reasons that I simply cannot wait for 3D 'printers' to be mass produced. Silly little plastic parts like these would be 'printable' and we can fix all these annoying problems ourselves. Like those fiddly little cogs in Saturns or the N64 analogue stick assembly.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys