Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
jfrost
Next-Gen

The Supreme Court violent games regulation case

by jfrost Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:06 pm

Sharing this because I'm not American, maybe people here are interested enough to help.

I just read that the Supreme Court of the US is going to be reviewing Schwarzenegger v. EMA and deciding whether or not games are protected under the First Amendment.

Lower courts have already ruled that regulations on games are unconstitutional, but since the SCOTUS will be reviewing the matter, this should settle things for some years.

Game Politics' blog post about the case: http://www.gamepolitics.com/2010/04/26/ ... a-update-3

Media Coalition's summary: http://www.mediacoalition.org/VSDA-v.-Schwarzenegger-

Also, ECA is collecting signatures of the American public to submit to the court, which should provide evidence on where people stand on the matter. You should definitely sign if you agree that games, books, movies and music should enjoy the same protections under American law: http://action.theeca.com/p/dia/action/p ... n_KEY=1781
Last edited by jfrost on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
puke_face

Re: The Supreme Court violent games regulation case

by puke_face Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:19 pm

Thanks for sharing. And, consider yourself lucky you don't live in the states. The land of the so called "Free" and the home of the so called "Brave". I don't think the country that has the highest prison population in the world should be considered "free". Just saying. :?
Octopod
Next-Gen

by Octopod Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:23 pm

A privatized prison system that uses forced labor at that.

:mrgreen:
aaron
Next-Gen

by aaron Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:12 pm

Octopod wrote:A privatized prison system that uses forced labor at that.

:mrgreen:

i made a comment like this on a relative's facebook wall and got called a "widdle commie." guess that'll teach me, haha.

interesting read, OP. thanks for sharing
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
Hatta
Next-Gen

by Hatta Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:17 pm

Lol. Because communists *never* use forced prison labor. Man, how do people live with such cognitive dissonance?
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
MrPopo

by MrPopo Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:26 pm

puke_face wrote:I don't think the country that has the highest prison population in the world should be considered "free". Just saying. :?

Because having a criminal justice system means there's no freedom.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
jfrost
Next-Gen

by jfrost Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:19 pm

MrPopo wrote:
puke_face wrote:I don't think the country that has the highest prison population in the world should be considered "free". Just saying. :?

No, but it might mean that it is a criminal system overly punitive, therefore less free. (Not saying that this is the case, but your answer doesn't seem to be a good reply to his point.)
jfrost
Next-Gen

by jfrost Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:34 pm

For what is worth, what I missed most while I lived in the US were little freedoms that Americans don't seem to be even aware of having lost anymore, like, I don't know, drinking outdoors. Kids play in with these rubber toys so they don't get hurt, we have signs telling us what to do at any given time. It's weird, it just feels different.

On the other hand, you guys set the standard on things like freedom of speech. This September in this country, for instance, we have elections, and the Superior Electoral Court ruled that political humor that make fun of politicians or parties in electoral period are forbidden. In a civilized country, this wouldn't even be subject to discussion, but this is Brazil. We are centuries behind the US.
puke_face

by puke_face Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:43 pm

jfrost wrote:
MrPopo wrote:

No, but it might mean that it is a criminal system overly punitive, therefore less free. (Not saying that this is the case, but your answer doesn't seem to be a good reply to his point.)

To be honest, I love living here. I've never lived anywhere else, so I can't really say that it's all that bad. I have everything I need.. I try really hard to take the legal system with a grain of salt, but damn. I mean come on, why can't I have a clove cigarette when I can have a just as harmful menthol? It's the little things in life.... bah humbug. :lol:
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:47 pm

And now we watch as this thread derails into a discussion over America's civil liberties.
Return to General Gaming