PSP Phone Announced

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
lisalover1
Next-Gen

PSP Phone Announced

Post by lisalover1 »

It finally happened. This is apparently the "PSP2" people have been anticipating. Remember how everyone said that it would be a huge mistake to make the PSP2 a more cell phone-like device, as it would fail when competing with the iPhone? Well, apparently, Sony is not a very good listener. The PSP Phone [as pretty much everyone is calling it] will run Android 3.0, have a 1 GHZ processor, but luckily, it will have physical buttons, except for the analog stick, which will be replaced with a separate touchpad. I like what this will likely do for Android gaming, as Sony said that if other phones released have specs on par with the PSP Phone, then they will likely be able to run PSP Phone games, as well. However, all the games will be download-only, like the PSP Go, which is barely moving 1,000 units a month in most countries anymore. I have a feeling that this is the start of a very, VERY bad idea.

Here's the full story: http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/11/exclusive-sony-ericsson-to-introduce-android-3-0-gaming-platfor/
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
slowslow325
Next-Gen

Re: PSP Phone Announced

Post by slowslow325 »

Oh, a touchscreen. First of all, I see this as jumping on Nintendo's idea because it worked (like the Sony Move) more than I see it as jumping on the bandwagon of touchscreen phones.

I also like how people always complained to me that the DS didn't have an analog stick, and I would respond if you need analog control, use the touch screen. Now, the PSP took that away and replaced it with a touchscreen, while the 3DS will have both plus motion control!
hashiriya1
Next-Gen

Post by hashiriya1 »

If this pans out to be a great phone/gaming device I may actually find a use for a "smart phone".
Last edited by hashiriya1 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

hashiriya1 wrote:If this pans out to be a great phone/gaming device I may actually find a use for a "smart phone".

:lol:
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

this would have been cool like 3 years ago when I wanted one.
Octopod
Next-Gen

Post by Octopod »

I see this causing some trouble with the NES, SNES, GBA, Genesis, Game Gear etc emulators in the Android market.
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

Octopod wrote:I see this causing some trouble with the NES, SNES, GBA, Genesis, Game Gear etc emulators in the Android market.

It's not like Sony is going to rush in and take control of the Android market; they aren't allowed to do so. They're just as much in control as HTC or Motorola.
Octopod
Next-Gen

Post by Octopod »

lisalover1 wrote:
Octopod wrote:I see this causing some trouble with the NES, SNES, GBA, Genesis, Game Gear etc emulators in the Android market.

It's not like Sony is going to rush in and take control of the Android market; they aren't allowed to do so. They're just as much in control as HTC or Motorola.

What I mean is I see Nintendo bitching about those emulators being widely available on a Sony device. Maybe not I suppose.
jfrost
Next-Gen

Post by jfrost »

So, a PSPGo with more functionality instead of less than a regular PSP? I think it's a decent idea.
skyknight
128-bit

Post by skyknight »

I don't see this as a successor to the PSP family, its more like a further development of the PSPGo, since originally many critics point out its design is almost like Sony's failed MYLO.

If you were to think about it, with DRM requirement, the PSPGo should have been a separate entity from the PSP-1000/2000/3000 models. I am curious to see the final product, and I do wonder who would buy this.