Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Re: PSP Phone Announced

by D.D.D. Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:22 am

Niode wrote:Irrelevant. The iPhone/iTouch already has the phone gaming market sewn up. The 3DS will wipe the floor with it anyway. Sony are going to run the risk of being a jack of all trades device yet it won't do any of them particularly well. They won't even be able to play the whole 'dedicated gaming device' angle because it isn't. Are they going to allow you to pause your game and instantly resume when you get a phone call? What about battery life? If it's going to have better graphics than the PSP (if it's not, why bother buying one? Just get a 3DS or iPhone 4) then the battery life is going to be a huge concern.

Mark my words. This will flop.

I have a feeling that they will allow access to the PSN(?) store for PSP game purchases (if that's where you buy the disc-less PSP games). I think that they will also limit the CPU to the PSP's speed as not to drain on battery life and allow full CPU-usage for whatever the smart phone does.
If they didn't allow the game to pause and instantly resume for calls, it would be behind all Japanese cell phones (& the iPhone I presume) making it even more laughable.
My best guess on this is that it will be a PSPgo with a smart phone built into it; nothing more really. I too see the strong potential for failure but, if it resembles a smart phone strongly (touch screen, media player, apps, etcs) with PSPgo functionality, it might do okay, okay like an ngage perhaps. :roll:
I always see people on the train with their phones and a PSP or DS so if those two were integrated, who knows? It could be "get rid of two devices for one" or "I can't give up playing while simultaneously texting". :lol:
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
Niode
Next-Gen

by Niode Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:38 pm

Thing is, I've already done that with my iPhone 4. It has all the games that I would even consider playing when I have a quick 15 minute break or I'm in a queue or waiting for a date to turn up (fuck you and your fashionable lateness, tardiness has just marred your initial impression with me. Eugh I hate dating).

I can see the potential for the people wanting an all in one device, but Sony are going to have to try EXTRA hard. I mean, they're seriously going to have to give these things away or subsidise them to the point where it would be insane to even consider the iPhone over it. Considering just how greedy Sony's gaming division is, I can see this creeeping over into Sony Ericsson's modus operandi and causing them to price it out of the reach of, well, everyone. With the iPhone selling millions upon millions of units and leaving the vast majority of mobile manufacturers scratching their heads over what they're doing wrong and how they can get a piece of this pie (IE making an iPhone-alike running Android). Sony are trying to touch on a niche that has already been filled pretty satisfactory by Apple. IE a mobile device that doubles as a very competent 3D gaming device. Not only that, but the price that Sony expects people to pay for PSP titles is just insane. Compared to average £1.99 per game on the iPhone, they just won't compete. How can they? What are they going to do, make PSP titles cheaper on the PSP phone and screw over their existing PSPGO user base? It ain't going to happen.

This either has to be a successor to the PSP, in that case it would need a better GPU and go with the immature 3D library in Android 3.0. Or it's going to look on par (or worse) than the current PSP. What's the point?

I just can't see what Sony can actually do to pull this off successfully. They're going to need a miracle. They can't even sell off the back of the Playstation brand due to the (seemingly) non-stop negative press they have been receiving since the PS3 was launched. Put it this way, if it's a success, and I mean a serious contender to the iPhone 4 in the mobile market then I will eat my words and buy shares in Sony. I can't see it happening though.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
Octopod
Next-Gen

by Octopod Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:24 pm

The biggest advantage it will have over an iPhone will be the hardware controls and I imagine better games. I seriously doubt I will be getting one though. I am fine with my phone and its emulators.
slowslow325
Next-Gen

by slowslow325 Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:01 pm

Another thing is, the majority of the people that have a PSP are really only using it as a multimedia device, and not really as a game system.

So, the one big advantage they may actually have (better games) isn't really going to help.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:51 pm

I have this to say:

The PSP-branding will sink this phone.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

by D.D.D. Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:14 pm

Niode wrote:...Not only that, but the price that Sony expects people to pay for PSP titles is just insane. Compared to average £1.99 per game on the iPhone, they just won't compete.

I completely forgot that the PSPgo pricing for PSP games is ridiculously high. :roll: Yeah, more than anything else, if Sony is trying to get in on Apple, they'll certainly fail with their current pricing.
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
BlackDS
Next-Gen

by BlackDS Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:59 pm

i actually considered wanting one, but then i remembered i have an n-gage, and that is good enough for me 8)
Ack wrote:You WILL be respectful of each other, or I WILL shove my mod foot so far up your Internet ass that your avatar will wince. Do you understand, children?

My Sale thread, lots of nintendo, neo-geo, and sega stuff!
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=24526&p=305373#p305373
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

by Bradtemple87 Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:24 pm

...lots of potential
Return to General Gaming