If you opened an arcade...

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
yomomma1
128-bit

Re: If you opened an arcade...

Post by yomomma1 »

I'd open the arcade and keep it closed all the time.

I could play all the games without interruption.
raztat
128-bit

Post by raztat »

Alcohol, have some good brews on tap. Wings with a lot of different flavors. Maybe a kids section with games that spit out tickets so they can cash them in for shitty prizes. Guitar hero arcade, ddr, and any rhythm game. Maybe have a dance floor for the ppl that are drinking? Also got to have xmen 6 player and hydro thunder. I would go daily if those 2 games are there lol.
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

Beer was my first thought. Second thought was Goldeneye. Goldeneye was huge in college just over 10 years ago. There are tons of mid 30s professionals who would love to get tipsy and frag their friends and/or new acquaintances. It's a real social thing, so it would bring a lot of that social arcade atmosphere back. Put it on a big screen with a scoreboard, it would be awesome.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

Post by Rurouni_Fencer »

I'd make/invent a specialty sandwich or other similar food platter so that my business gains some kind of local notoriety. Of course, the games and beer are a great attraction, but to have a successful business, one needs something that stands out from other establishments - a reason to go to THIS place, instead of D&B or Gameworks, or as an alternative to staying at home with your own beer and games...
B/S/T Thread *Updated 7/30/11*
Rurouni_Fencer »» 39 (as of 6/27/2018)
crux
128-bit

Post by crux »

Rurouni_Fencer wrote:I'd make/invent a specialty sandwich or other similar food platter so that my business gains some kind of local notoriety. Of course, the games and beer are a great attraction, but to have a successful business, one needs something that stands out from other establishments - a reason to go to THIS place, instead of D&B or Gameworks, or as an alternative to staying at home with your own beer and games...

Go ahead and count how many bars and liquor stores there are in your area and then come back and tell us that a successful business needs to stand out. :)

Standing out is great, but a great beer selection is one such thing. The food industry is INCREDIBLY turbulent. Hundreds if not thousands of restaurants open and close every single year because they think they can "stand out." It takes good food, a good atmosphere, and a lot of luck to run a successful restaurant. A bar, on the other hand, requires alcohol and people that drink alcohol. Video games and beer selection are distractions compared to the reason such a business would be successful. Most people don't like to drink alone (and if they do, well...).

Granted I know that you're not just talking about a restaurant, but it's more a statement that adding any element of food outside of stock appetizers is a daunting task. I have a relative that just opened a wine bar in California, complete with breakfast, lunch, and dinner. She works 18 hour days trying to ensure the business is successful, thanks to the added pressure of the restaurant (which was required to provide support for the liquor license). There's a reason why so few bars serve food, and why so many restaurants have a bar. :)
slowslow325
Next-Gen

Post by slowslow325 »

I'd have a section with modern game consoles that are connected to the internet and I'd have a section with older, really popular multiplayer games like Goldeneye 007 and Super Mario Kart/Mario Kart 64.

Of course, food. But not big meal type food, just smaller foods. Nachos, funnel cakes, stuff like that. And drinks, of course.

Free wifi.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Why do you all want to connect consoles in an arcade? I've never been in an arcade that does this...do they exist? I wouldn't ever play an N64, Genesis, or 360 in an arcade...the point of an arcade is to play games you can't play at home!
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

It's a good idea to have pub food on hand, but, as others have said, the sale of alcohol may create a bit of an age restriction, which may be dangerous for business. But it would certainly be an amazing arcade, and I would love to see something like this.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
slowslow325
Next-Gen

Post by slowslow325 »

dsheinem wrote:Why do you all want to connect consoles in an arcade? I've never been in an arcade that does this...do they exist? I wouldn't ever play an N64, Genesis, or 360 in an arcade...the point of an arcade is to play games you can't play at home!

Well, if we're talking about older consoles, it would attract people who want to play a Goldeneye match with their brother/buddies and sold the N64 a while back. Nostalgia.

If we're talking new consoles, I have no idea, it just seems like a good idea. Well, I guess, maybe some kids that can't afford a certain game or system would come in and play.
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

Because in an Arcade/bar atmosphere you can play with people you've never met. Maybe get your name on a big scoreboard for bragging rights. It's not about the games, it's about the social atmosphere. If it was about the games I'd just stay home and play arcade games on MAME.

Compare pub quiz night to sitting at home reading Trivial Pursuit cards and you'll get the idea.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!