AVGN disagreements

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
AmishSamurai
Next-Gen

Re: AVGN disagreements

Post by AmishSamurai »

James Rolfe is a really great guy. I like when his reviews are more informative than when he just throws out poop jokes (Nerdy Turd.... brrrrr....). I liked his console reviews of the Jaguar, Sega CD, and 32x.
MrPopo wrote:The life lesson here is jobs will come and go, but Earthbound will always be there for you.

I'm a girl btw
dedalusdedalus
Next-Gen

Post by dedalusdedalus »

As a lot of people have said before, AVGN is more about humor than accurate reviews.

That said though, I'd disagree with AVGN on Castlevania II. That game was easily the most atmospheric of the three NES Castlevanias, and it was groundbreaking because it originated the Metroid-vania style that's so popular today.
yomomma1
128-bit

Post by yomomma1 »

dedalusdedalus wrote:As a lot of people have said before, AVGN is more about humor than accurate reviews.

That said though, I'd disagree with AVGN on Castlevania II. That game was easily the most atmospheric of the three NES Castlevanias, and it was groundbreaking because it originated the Metroid-vania style that's so popular today.

Actually metroid-vania

Is metroid, and SOTN
dedalusdedalus
Next-Gen

Post by dedalusdedalus »

yomomma1 wrote:
dedalusdedalus wrote:As a lot of people have said before, AVGN is more about humor than accurate reviews.

Actually metroid-vania

Is metroid, and SOTN

"Metroid-vania" is Metroid-style exploration gameplay (getting new items to unlock new portions of the map; backtracking) superimposed on a Castlevania game. Castlevania II fits this description: a lot of the game involved finding shit, and then backtracking to a newly accessible area.

So since Castlevania II came before SOTN, Castlevania II originated Metroid-vania. Perhaps SOTN popularized Metroid-vania, but it didn't originate it.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

as far as nerd reviews go, Keith Apacary wins big time.
Gnashvar
128-bit

Post by Gnashvar »

hashiriya1 wrote:I think he's pretty on par with what sucks. The only time I was thinking "The game isn't THAT bad" is his review of TMNT for NES. Even with the seaweed, I still enjoy that game.

I actually think the bomb level is the easiest of the whole game. I hate the sewer jumps in the third level. It's so hard not to get knocked back into the water.
Thanks everyone...
yomomma1
128-bit

Post by yomomma1 »

No, its Metroid + SOTN. SOTN introduced new elements and popularized it. Simon's quest was sort of a Failed experiment. Hell if you believe that Metroidvania is simon's quest because it came first you might as well drop vania from it because metroid came first.
Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

Post by Rurouni_Fencer »

I've already spoken my peace about the Castlevanias on a previous thread, so I won't put anyone through that again.. I did, however, disagree with the Nerd on his Zelda II and Friday the 13th "reviews," as I grew up loving and beating those games religiously.

I think James' character is a refreshing take on all the YouTube amateur game reviews that kids have been putting out over the past 6 or so years. His first reviews were actually just supposed to be intended as an inside joke for him and a few friends. But I also really appreciate more the classic looks at the older and more obscure consoles like the Jaguar and the Pong systems than many of his game reviews. (Except Action 52/Cheetahmen. He was spot on with that hunk of crap.)
B/S/T Thread *Updated 7/30/11*
Rurouni_Fencer »» 39 (as of 6/27/2018)
yomomma1
128-bit

Post by yomomma1 »

You do know he likes Zelda II right?
Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

Post by Rurouni_Fencer »

yomomma1 wrote:You do know he likes Zelda II right?

Of course, he says so in the beginning. But with that review, like so many others, I feel he more nitpicks the smaller things as if they undermine the entire experience. Like the fact that Link is bigger than the town, or that the landscape is too tiled - Whatever. He needed material for his act and it worked, I just felt it was stretching the argument that it could possibly be a bad game. (And so many younger gamers will now discount Zelda II as a bad game only because the AVGN says so..)
B/S/T Thread *Updated 7/30/11*
Rurouni_Fencer »» 39 (as of 6/27/2018)