New Games, immersion in older games and more.

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
loganm187
32-bit

New Games, immersion in older games and more.

Post by loganm187 »

I am very well educated gamer and play anything for every system I own. I have bought plenty of games for my ps3, 360 and WII, but i always keep coming back to my saturn, snes, psone...or whatever system it might be to play games I missed. Over the past 2 months instead of playing my new copy of Red dead or 3D dot game heroes...Well, I did play and enjoy sin and punishment 2 very very much. I finished super metroid, policenauts, and panzer dragoon saga all recently and those games all have stuck with me more than anything new I have played in a very long while. Every one of those games while playing I downloaded the soundtracks and listened to them if i weren't playing them. They totally sucked me into their respected worlds. All 3 of those games also have a zero amount of nostalgia factor with me as they are games I missed(or weren't translated in policenauts case) when I was younger. So that just shows these games have totally stood the test of time PERIOD. these games present their world so well that you don't think the graphics are poor or "last gen" You accept that this is what this certain world looks like and you are in it. Especially SAGA...wow that place really got to me. The loneliness and despair I felt while me and my dragon were flying around could only be compared to shadow of the colossus and actually at times felt like SAGA was like a 3D super metroid more than anything having just finished that game. I also tried to recently play through Shenmue, but HOLYSHIT that voice acting destroys everything for me. I can't get into it no matter how hard I try. I have friends who beat it when it came out and they still swear by it, but it hasn't aged well in my opinion like the previous games I have mentioned. Looks like time swallowed up that one up. also one of the friends who loves shenmue can't stand Metal gear solid for psone at all, but loves snake eater to death. He Thinks it aged like an old turd and I can't see that. Am I blind? I think metal gear solid is amazing and the story and voice acting all hold up. I think racket even had a post awhile back about how MGS was still very playable to this day as it has aged very well.

Anyway what do you guys think about modern games and the immersion factor vs older games. have these more realistic graphics and worlds actually taken away getting lost in these fantastical realms?? I just can't get into many of these new games worlds.

Uncharted 2 was nice and I'm sure when the last guardian comes out it will be remembered as one of the few gems of this generation. I'm looking towards to a videogame crash soon, but i'll save that for another post.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Re: New Games, immersion in older games and more.

Post by Gamerforlife »

I'm a fan of the Metal Gear Solid series, but I don't think ANY of them played well as far as controls go. They are perfectly playable sure, but I've always found the controls stiff and dated, but that will never change so I've learned to accept it. Though I haven't tried MGS4 yet despite having two copies of it lol. As for Shenmue, I always rag on it for being overrated, but some people love it. So I totally agree with you there

As for immersion and realism. I've spoken on the subject before on this forum. Some people disagree with my thoughts on the matter, but I think those two words are kind of a joke with regards to most games. You mentioned Uncharted 2, where your character can absorb bullets like the Terminator. Not realistic and little things like that make it impossible for me to be immersed in a game's world. I think people like Michel Ancel and Fumito Ueda have done a marvelous job of making immersive games(Ancel's King Kong game and of course Ueda's Ico and Shadow of the Colossus), but it's a quality that most games lack due to developers who lack the ability to think outside the box and just like to try and copy what everyone else is doing
Last edited by Gamerforlife on Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

Post by Mod_Man_Extreme »

The most believable game is one that suspends your disbelief to where suddenly it's 3AM and you've just now realized you were playing a game.

Basically like any good book or movie all any game really needs to create more immersion is to engage the player with a believable and plausible fantasy.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.

Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

loganm187 wrote:I also tried to recently play through Shenmue, but HOLYSHIT that voice acting destroys everything for me. I can't get into it no matter how hard I try. I have friends who beat it when it came out and they still swear by it, but it hasn't aged well in my opinion like the previous games I have mentioned. Looks like time swallowed up that one up. also one of the friends who loves shenmue can't stand Metal gear solid for psone at all, but loves snake eater to death. He Thinks it aged like an old turd and I can't see that. Am I blind? I think metal gear solid is amazing and the story and voice acting all hold up. I think racket even had a post awhile back about how MGS was still very playable to this day as it has aged very well.

Anyway what do you guys think about modern games and the immersion factor vs older games. have these more realistic graphics and worlds actually taken away getting lost in these fantastical realms?? I just can't get into many of these new games worlds.

Uncharted 2 was nice and I'm sure when the last guardian comes out it will be remembered as one of the few gems of this generation. I'm looking towards to a videogame crash soon, but i'll save that for another post.

Funny observation about Video Game Crash, yes I can see it eventually happening in today's saturated market "burned out".

Once in a while I see son playing Uncharted, looks great, can imagine how Last Guardian would look with PS3. Myself, I'm more then content with older PS2-Dreamcast-Gamecube. So my comparison is of Atari to N64 to PS2. There are games such as N64 Conker that still draws me in, especially Metal Gear Solid on PS1. Though not perfect, looks even better Bleemed on the Dreamcast. Atari, more of the quarter snatcher type games there, a fun skill reaction type of immersion play.

Give Shenmue a chance, a great game. I think the best version is Dreamcast PAL Shenmue 2. As in a great foreign film best played in the native language in this case Japanese with English subtitles.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Gnashvar
128-bit

Post by Gnashvar »

Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:The most believable game is one that suspends your disbelief to where suddenly it's 3AM and you've just now realized you were playing a game.

Basically like any good book or movie all any game really needs to create more immersion is to engage the player with a believable and plausible fantasy.

Rome Total War made me be late for work for about a week. Bad gnash bad!
Thanks everyone...
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

All I will say is that, I found out that retro games are more fun to play and to get into

Everything is clear, quick, and pleasing.

Newer games got a HUGE 3D world where you get lost, you need 9 or more buttons, 2 controlling sticks and more.
Its fun, but you can't jump in and out of the game.

retro games are simple 2D, or early 3D games got limited levels. You switch on the game and for the most part you need a D-pad and 4 buttons and you are ready to go. Levels are clear and everything.

Thats what I noticed. After 30 min in a SNES game , I am well on my way with few levels into the game. With a current game, i am still trying to figure out how to handle this thing.